• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Fourth Reich: Justin Langer's Final Solution to Sledging

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
'A difference between banter and abuse' - Justin Langer vows to put 'fun' back into sledging - ESPNcricinfo

Sledging is fun!" says Australia's new coach!

Okay, so Justin Langer was referring specifically to the "banter" (note: definitely NOT abuse ...) that flies across the table when he and his daughters are playing the card game UNO. However, there was a steely message lurking within an otherwise amusing metaphor, as he and Tim Paine, Australia's captain, faced the media at Lord's in their first official engagement of this month's tour of England.

"Everyone talks about this word 'sledging', but there's a difference between banter and abuse," Langer said. "Abuse is no good - it doesn't matter if you're off the field or on the field, there's no room for it ever. But there's plenty of room for banter, or what we call sledging. It's a fun part of the game!

"If I'm playing with my daughter, she wants to beat me big time, so we have a bit of banter, or what we call sledging. She's pretty good at it, all Australians are good at it, we take it so seriously, but that's okay. I never abuse her, and if she abuses me ... there's trouble you know!"

"Even if we are so nice, everyone is still going to think we are still a bunch of rough-edged Australians," he said. "That's just how it's going to be, mate. So whatever, we can go about our business really well, behave well on the field and off the field, but we'll still be called sledging Australians. It's been happening the last 30 years. We'll work with that.
Justin Langer's daughters are now the most powerful force driving the cultural change in the Australian cricket team.

I'm glad I'm alive to witness this.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well, as Nasser Hussein said I wouldn't be surprised if Langer has a picture of Steve Waugh up in his bedroom. Langer basically worships Waugh's ideals and Waugh is the one who came up with 'mental disintegration'. **** all is going to change that way

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Whether it changes or not I could care less, Langer continually sounds like the biggest dickhead ever.

God he's embarrassing.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
'All Australians are good at it'

:laugh:

No, they're not. In fact, almost none of them are. Reference G.McGrath: 'Why are you so ****ing fat' and 'what does Brian Lara's dick taste like' for two actually above average Australian sledging efforts. Even the effort that people actually laud, Steve Waugh's 'you dropped the World Cup' he admits he never said.

So if sledging is calling people ****s, then yes - Australians are good at that. But it's not, that's abuse like Justin just said. If it's banter that is now sledging, which I find defined as 'exchange remarks in a good-humoured teasing way' then I'll laugh so hard I fall off my chair because that's - to coin a phrase - 'un-Australian'.

Burgey

Unlike SteveNZ to pop in just to say something negative about the Australian cricket team.

Flem274*

123/5
it is well known new zealanders never sledge or hurl abuse

fortunately, neil wagner was born in south africa, so he is allowed to do whatever he likes

TheJediBrah

'All Australians are good at it'

:laugh:

No, they're not. In fact, almost none of them are. Reference G.McGrath: 'Why are you so ****ing fat' and 'what does Brian Lara's dick taste like' for two actually above average Australian sledging efforts. Even the effort that people actually laud, Steve Waugh's 'you dropped the World Cup' he admits he never said.

So if sledging is calling people ****s, then yes - Australians are good at that. But it's not, that's abuse like Justin just said. If it's banter that is now sledging, which I find defined as 'exchange remarks in a good-humoured teasing way' then I'll laugh so hard I fall off my chair because that's - to coin a phrase - 'un-Australian'.
lmfao I'm sitting here losing it

Brilliant lines

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
There is something very childish and schoolboyish about sledging so yes, the Australians are the masters.

Daemon

tbf there's been some good ones from Australians

"I don't think finger spin is cricket" - Don Bradman

"I'm a dickhead" - Shane Warne

"Buttler would not make an ATG ODI XI" - Alan Border

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Unlike SteveNZ to pop in just to say something negative about the Australian cricket team.
Haha, I mean it's slim pickings for material with that side but everyone needs a shtick on here, right?

I actually think I could grow to like a Warner less Australian cricket team over time. Truly. And I am a fan of Glenn Maxwell. There, I said it. Without dry fetching even a bit.