• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Final

ripper868

International Coach
Saturday 28th October. 21:00 (Paris Local Time) - 19:00 GMT
New Zealand v South Africa
Referee: TBC

New Zealand Road to the Final
Pools:

L v France - 13-27
W v Namibia - 71-3
W v Italy - 96-17
W v Uruguay - 73-0

Knockouts:
QF: W v Ireland 28-24
SF: W v Argentina 44-6
South Africa Road to the Final
Pools:

W v Scotland - 18-3
W v Romania - 76-0
L v Ireland - 8-13
W v Tonga - 49-18

Knockouts:
QF: W v France 29-28
SF: W v England 16-15

History:
Times Played (overall): 105
New Zealand Win: 62
South Africa Win: 39
Draw: 4

RWC Previous Matches:
1995 Final: South Africa 15 v 12 New Zealand
1999 3rd Place Playoff: South Africa 22 - 18 New Zealand
2003 Quarter Final: New Zealand 29 - 9 South Africa
2015 Semi Final: New Zealand 20 - 18 South Africa
2019 Pool Phase: New Zealand 23 - 13 South Africa

James

Cricket Web Owner
Toss of the coin for who goes in as favourite for me. Not sure who to call but would obviously prefer NZ to win.

I do wonder whether the easier path for NZ and the freshness of their players compared to South Africa will count for something.

It could come down to goal-kicking, and if it does, Mo'unga will need to be on top of his game unlike the semi-final.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I believe this'll be the first time a team that has lost a game during a tournament will lift the trophy.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
No SA lost their opener v the AB's in 2019. But this is the first final featuring 2 teams that have both lost a game

BoyBrumby

Englishman
NZ marginal favourites in the UK at least, which seems about right: extra day recovery and far easier time of it in their semi.

If one's looking for a value random punt though might be worth sticking a couple of quid on Arundell for top try scorer. He's three behind Jordan, but the 3rd place play off is exactly the kinda game where the more fringe squad members get a run out, so (assuming he's one of them) he'll have an Argentine second string to fill his boots in.

It's unlikely, but he's available at 25/1 up here, so I'm tempted as a throw away bet.

Molehill

International Captain
NZ marginal favourites in the UK at least, which seems about right: extra day recovery and far easier time of it in their semi.

If one's looking for a value random punt though might be worth sticking a couple of quid on Arundell for top try scorer. He's three behind Jordan, but the 3rd place play off is exactly the kinda game where the more fringe squad members get a run out, so (assuming he's one of them) he'll have an Argentine second string to fill his boots in.

It's unlikely, but he's available at 25/1 up here, so I'm tempted as a throw away bet.
There’s decent ranking points available for this game. Expect England to go in strong.

Ali TT

International Debutant
Hoping for a good match even if it doesn't live up to the QFs. The last two finals have been walkovers while the two before that were turgid affairs. Although WCFs have been pretty rubbish matches overall. Guess 2003 the best of the lot. I vaguely recall 1995 being a remarkable defensive effort by SA to nullify Lomu but not being a great game as a result.

loterry1994

International Debutant
I hope this final isn’t all about the 3 points and it’s more flowing. That 2019 final wasn’t great and England came in with big hype and were favourites and barely threw a punch

Jumno

U19 Captain
The 2015 wc final could've been a classic, I recall Australia scoring two tries and almost got into the game after it looked bleak

And carter scored that drop goal

Molehill

International Captain
I hope this final isn’t all about the 3 points and it’s more flowing. That 2019 final wasn’t great and England came in with big hype and were favourites and barely threw a punch
4 years ago England were better equipped to beat NZ than SA, this time it was the other way around (have a feeling NZ would’ve torn them apart).

This one will only be about 3 points if SA can nullify the NZ back line, I’m not sure they will and I hope they don’t.

ripper868

International Coach
The 2015 wc final could've been a classic, I recall Australia scoring two tries and almost got into the game after it looked bleak

And carter scored that drop goal
Yeah pegged it back to 6 points when Kuridrani went over under then sticks, then Carter did Carter and Beauden killed it off.

Never thought I'd be wishing we had Bernard Foley back at #10!

BeeGee

International Captain
I didn't think much of SA or Eng in the semi. I expect NZ will win comfortably.

I think NZ v Ire decided the tournament.