• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The England Thread

PhoenixFire

International Coach
XV

1) Strauss (C)
2) Trescothick
3) Flintoff
4) Pietersen
5) Collingwood
6) Bell
7) Read
8) Jones
9) Mahmood
10) Lewis
11) Panesar
12) Dalrymple
13) Loye
14) Harmison
15) Anderson

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
No way Panesar should be picked in the ODI side ATm let alone the WC sqaud fellas, they are better options.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
I agree with aussie, although I don't think there are better options than Panesar. I just don't think 11 List A games is enough to deserve an ODI call up (unless you take 40 wickets @ 9 or something like that, which he hasn't).

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
the best spinner in any country should play both forms of cricket, and ours is monty, he should play. Id rather have 2 montys than a couple of seamers like mahmood and plunkett who get destroyed every game and have economys in the 6s. Monty will save us 20 runs a game with his bowling compared to one of our average seamers, and pick up crucial wickets. Sure he might let 10 runs go in the field at the most, but its worth it...

PhoenixFire

International Coach
albo97056 said:
the best spinner in any country should play both forms of cricket, and ours is monty, he should play. Id rather have 2 montys than a couple of seamers like mahmood and plunkett who get destroyed every game and have economys in the 6s. Monty will save us 20 runs a game with his bowling compared to one of our average seamers, and pick up crucial wickets. Sure he might let 10 runs go in the field at the most, but its worth it...

Good call there. Not sure about Plunkett, but Mahmood could be very, very good. He has the pace, and the bounce, and just lacks accuracy. He can swing it and seam it, and can be very nasty and awkward to face.

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
Unfortunately hes just not good enough yet. Let him play county for 2 or 3 seasons and then give him another go. Taking someone with such terrible figures and inexpierience is madness. If an aussie had an econ of 6.5 odd and a crap average and played for a whole year im sure thered be hell to pay for the coach and selectors, but in england its all about development and giving them chances. Its rediculous, the international stage is for the best, and theres a hell of a lot better bowlers than mahmood in county cricket. Infact, i bet hoggards one day record is better than mahmoods and hes been called a no hoper in the od game!:-O

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
albo97056 said:
Unfortunately hes just not good enough yet. Let him play county for 2 or 3 seasons and then give him another go. Taking someone with such terrible figures and inexpierience is madness. If an aussie had an econ of 6.5 odd and a crap average and played for a whole year im sure thered be hell to pay for the coach and selectors, but in england its all about development and giving them chances. Its rediculous, the international stage is for the best, and theres a hell of a lot better bowlers than mahmood in county cricket. Infact, i bet hoggards one day record is better than mahmoods and hes been called a no hoper in the od game!:-O
honestly, hell lot more bowlers better than Mahmood in English country cricket?

I reckon Mahmood is one of the best young talents to have come up in recent times from England.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
well at this stage i guess its unlikely that my wish for Mascarenhas & more importantly Pothas to make the world cup squad is unlikely. But with Trescothick definately out, Mr.Vaughan is needed now, even though his record his poor, just to see him in the top-order would be assuring.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Salamuddin's England WC 15:

Trescothick
Strauss
Bell
KP
Freddy
Colly
Read
Gilo
The SAJ
Harmison
Anderson

Mudsudhan Singh
Joyce
Yardy
Dalrymple
Rikki Clarke

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
No Trescothick for me. There's no way he can prove between now and then he would be able to tour the West Indies, and him leaving mid wat through is the last thing we need.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
England WC hopes have hit a rock ATS. With the absence of Trescothick, Simon Jones & Harmison (although all may not agree that he's a huge lost), too much pressure is going to be on KP & Freddie to perform and i fear thats going to cost them in the end.

Trescothick lost is huge for me since, he is the man over the years who England have trusted to put the gas on the accelerator at the top. ATM Strauss/Vaughan/Bell at the top is classy but no destructive enough.

Jones like Panesar has that special something, he would have been such a top man to have in the bowling stocks and Harmo IMO could have been very handy alsi if he is used in the right way i.e a first/second change bowler, since the way he starts his spell at times in test isn't safe enough to open with the white ball.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
aussie said:
England WC hopes have hit a rock ATS. With the absence of Trescothick, Simon Jones & Harmison (although all may not agree that he's a huge lost), too much pressure is going to be on KP & Freddie to perform and i fear thats going to cost them in the end.
Along with the fact we suck anyway.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
GeraintIsMyHero said:
Harmison, I loathe to pick him, but can't think of any better options at this moment. Not sure he'll ever play an ODI again tbh.
Good call.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Strauss
Joyce
Bell
Collingwood (bowler)
Pietersen
Flintoff (bowler)
Read+
Broad (bowler)
Hoggard/Plunkett/Tremlett/Dalrymple/Yardy
Anderson (bowler)
Panesar (bowler)

I think that the 3rd seamer slot is the horses for courses pick, Yardy or Dalrymple if it turns, Hoggy if it's cloudy, Plunkers or Tremlett if it's bouncing,

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Yardy just isn't an international player, bowlers like McGrath, Pollock, Ntinin, Bond, Lee, Asif, and many others will just be too good for him I fear.