• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The England Thread

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
I'd like to see Dalrymple support another spin bowler in the future for England.

I'm just going to throw up an order here...

Tresco
Bell
Strauss
KP
Collingwood
Flintoff
Dalrymple
G Jones/whoever +
Giles
Harmison
Anderson

Backing Dalrymple, Collingwood and Bell to get through 10 between them, and pick up the slack of any bowlers who get a bit of toe. I'd really like to see Tresco captain, but it looks like he's not interested.
Apart from the Cook/Bell issue, which Marc has raised I'm not sure that England could play 2 of their spinners now that there's 15 overs with fielding restrictions plus the end-of-innings slog. Tempting, I know, after what we saw against SL, but I think it's asking for trouble to have one of them bowling during the final powerplay.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I guess the only way we could justify it is in a 6 man attack - which raises the question, what do we now class Collingwood's bowling as?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
I guess the only way we could justify it is in a 6 man attack - which raises the question, what do we now class Collingwood's bowling as?
Admirable, although I'd prefer him not to have to send down too many overs with the fielding restictions in place. I still view Colly as a huge bonus as a sixth bowler rather than a regular 5th.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I have to confess to not having read any of this thread so apologize in advance if I'm repeating anything that has been said already, but I would just pick the same players that are vying for Test places.

For example if the One Day team looks something like this:

1.Trescothick
2. Strauss
3. Pieterson
4. Bell
5. Collingwood
6. Flintoff
7. Jones
8. Giles
9. Plunkett
10. Hoggard
11. Harmison

Does anybody really believe that we would have a better chance in one-day cricket by adding the likes of Kabir Ali, Vickram Solanki, Ian Blackwell and uncle Tom Cobley to that team?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
His name, Geraint, isn't suited to the shorter format, it's more of a Test Cricketer's name

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
steds said:
What, exactly, has Jones done wrong in ODIs?
he has been making runs simple, & if the selectors are consistent just like how Read was dropped out totally in 2004 for Jonea the same should happen here.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
right who wants to see Darren Gough back in the team by the time the world cup gets around?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
yes, with all the young bowlers coming in and failing i.e Plunkett & Mahmood & injuries to the likes of Jones mainly. Presuming Harmison, Flintoff & Anderson are fit thats the only 3 steady seamers England have, so in that case i think returning to the Dazzler for the World Cup is a strong possibilty.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Question - if Michael Vaughan is fit enough as he is aiming to be by the VB series obviously Fletcher will let him play & once he doesn't break down again he will go to the world cup maybe as captain.

But where would you bat him?

pietersenrocks

U19 Vice-Captain
aussie said:
Question - if Michael Vaughan is fit enough as he is aiming to be by the VB series obviously Fletcher will let him play & once he doesn't break down again he will go to the world cup maybe as captain.

But where would you bat him?
I'll pick Trescothick and Vaughan at the opening