• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The England Thread

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I've always been a fan of Tremlett, but he absolutely froze when he got his chance in the Commonwealth Bank & his fielding was sub-Panesar.
Never been a fan, myself, TBH. Never thought much of him, he's never been especially accurate and doesn't do a lot with the ball away from the garden-path-esque surfaces of The Rose Bowl.

I wasn't in the slightest surprised he bowled as terribly as he did in the CBS, and in his only other ODI before that.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Some of the punditry in this WC has been abysmal;

Nasser Hussain; "England's big 3 of Flintoff, KP and Vaughan must fire"
Since when has Vaughan ever been a big player for England in ODIs? He's one of the worst ODI batsmen of the modern era, the only worse batsman i can think of it Hafeez and he's more of an off spinning all rounder.

They were talking about Vettori as being a strike bowler as well which is ridiculous as he's got less wickets than caps. The reason they put Panesar as a strike bowler is because he's good in tests and better than Ashley Giles, Flintoff is more a run stopper than a wicket taker as well but England don't have many better.
TBF I think Nass probably meant Collingwood when he said Vaughan.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I mean, even by your usual pro-Durham standards, that's nonsense beyond almost anything you've ever posted.
You think I give a toss what you think? Your opinion on here is equivalent to Stevie Wonder giving advice on interior decorating.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Why the blazes would I think you give a toss what I think?

Equally, why would you think many agree with you that "Your opinion on here is equivalent to Stevie Wonder giving advice on interior decorating"? 'Cos I can assure you - they don't.

But it is obvious why you'd believe such a thing - your own inflated ego.

pup11

International Coach
There was a bloke called Ryan Sidebottom what happened to him? Is he terribly out of form or something, because i would have liked to see a left-arm seamer in the English bowling line-up as it would have given some variation to the English bowling line-up.

I seriously think England are making a big mistake by not playing Plunkett, i think he is a genuine wicket-taker and a handy lower-order bat.

Scaly piscine

Why the blazes would I think you give a toss what I think?

Equally, why would you think many agree with you that "Your opinion on here is equivalent to Stevie Wonder giving advice on interior decorating"? 'Cos I can assure you - they don't.

But it is obvious why you'd believe such a thing - your own inflated ego.

Uh...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So you've canvassed opinion, have you? That comment has nothing to do with my own ego - it's to do with those I've spoken to.

Those real-time CWers who don't give a toss about me number yourself, Mr Murphy and perhaps 1 or 2 others. You don't generally tend to like looking stupid in my experience, so I'd stop there before you make declarations of truth about matters which you have no clue on.

Scaly piscine

So you've canvassed opinion, have you? That comment has nothing to do with my own ego - it's to do with those I've spoken to.

Those real-time CWers who don't give a toss about me number yourself, Mr Murphy and perhaps 1 or 2 others. You don't generally tend to like looking stupid in my experience, so I'd stop there before you make declarations of truth about matters which you have no clue on.
So you've canvassed opinion of the 1000s of members here than have you, such that you can assure me that a sufficient number of them disagree with my sentiments after you've presumably conducted some sort of lie-detector test?

I've never known of anyone like you who thinks their complete guesswork should to be taken as gospel above everything else. I suggest you stop trying to argue with your utter bollocks against anyone who has a scintilla of a clue on the issue at hand.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well you don't have a clue on this issue, but the I'd not expect you to.

As I quite clearly stated, there are nowhere near 1000 active regular members, but I do speak to a reasonably large number of those active lot. And hence I do have a bit more than *a scintilla of a clue* on the matter.

That you bring-up lie-detectors in an attempt to infer that there would be any reason to lie ITFP is a pretty decent indicator of your lack of authority on the matter.

FBU

International Debutant
Gough was great before his knee injury but since hasn't been the same bowler. His last 10 games -

3.5-0-33-0
4-0-28-0
8-0-44-0
9-0-59-0
10-0-41-1
9-0-70-3
6.5-1-36.2
10-1-50-0
6.2-0-43-1
10-0-47-1

77-2-451-8 Average 56.37 econ 5.85 s/r 57.75

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
TBH, the Gough story is not a straightforward one. I'd argue that he's never really been the same bowler since the summer of 2000. Up until then, his record was magnificent. Between 2000\01 and now he's had lengthy spells of poor stuff (some of which when clearly less than 100% fit) and some shorter ones of excellence (coincidentally two of which were against South Africa). Things haven't been helped by the fact that he's not been handled well at all of times - IMO he ceased to be an excellent death bowler after that summer of 2000 - but remained for a long time an excellent opening bowler. If he'd been able to bowl 10 overs straight off the reel from 2003 onwards, IMO he'd have a considerably better record than he currently does. There's no denying that he was very poor for most of the summer of 2005, nor that he was way below his best in the 2 games he played at the end of the summer of 2006. But I still feel his is a sad story of a career cut-off before it should have been in favour of those considerably inferior to him. Plunkett and Mahmood will never, I don't think, be fit to lace his boots.

Scaly piscine

Well you don't have a clue on this issue, but the I'd not expect you to.

As I quite clearly stated, there are nowhere near 1000 active regular members, but I do speak to a reasonably large number of those active lot. And hence I do have a bit more than *a scintilla of a clue* on the matter.

That you bring-up lie-detectors in an attempt to infer that there would be any reason to lie ITFP is a pretty decent indicator of your lack of authority on the matter.

What do 'active regular' members have to do with anything? This is typical of when you're proven to be hopelessly wrong or proven to be pulling crap out of thin air, you try and move the goalposts or come up with some other meaningless bulldust - or usually both. If you think you know what people really think of you you're seriously deluded.

Last edited:

SpinnaInATurban

Cricket Spectator
Look's like lucky England might end up sneaking through due to this game right now.

Who would have thought they'd be reduced to being Bangladesh's beeotches and have them to thank for it though. :laugh: