• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The disappointment of the 2019 Cricket World Cup being a 10 team World Cup

How many teams would you like there to have been in 2019 Cricket World Cup?

• Total voters

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This one has been a bit **** but mainly due to weather. Maybe make the format 2 groups of 8 playing each other and having a quarter final in future as you can get lesser nations in and still have loads of games.

vcs

It's dragged on a bit longer than I'd like. 6 weeks is pretty long for a tournament involving just 10 teams. I like this format but they could have scheduled more games on the same day to keep the length reasonable.

Daemon

It's dragged on a bit longer than I'd like. 6 weeks is pretty long for a tournament involving just 10 teams. I like this format but they could have scheduled more games on the same day to keep the length reasonable.
Personally have loved coming home to a game a day.

If you have two and one of them involves the less popular teams then it generates little to no discussion and the public don't watch the players in action.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
It seems as though everyone is pretty much in agreement that 10 team WC was a good thing, but that the qualifiers for the last few spots among the associates/lower-ranked sides should be held directly before the tournament (essentially part of the tournament) and given a higher profile.
That's what they did in 1979, FWIW. The group matches of the ICC Trophy began on 22nd May; the semi-finals were on 6th June; by winning those, Sri Lanka and Canada qualified for the World Cup which began on 9th June.

(A little-remembered fact about those qualifiers: if USA had beaten Netherlands, rather than the match being rained off, Sri Lanka would have been eliminated in the group stages, due to their forfeiture of their game against Israel. I don't know if their win over India in that WC played any part in them gaining full membership of the ICC).

Stefan9

International Debutant
Associate nations need to be at the wc else it's just a glorified champions trophy.

Yes some of them will probably get drubbings but so what.
If we want to grow the global game the lesser nations need to be showcased at the sports biggest stage.

I personally prefer pools then quarters semi's and finals. It adds unpredictability.

Also would like more day night games.