• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The CW Cup: battle of the association football teams

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Werder Bremen - Good quality team who unfortunately had a bad Champions League campaign this year.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Grecian's vote secures Tranmere a 11-1 win, which I would've concurred with never quite having forgiven Brentford for pipping Cambridge Utd to the old Div 3 (fourth tier) title back in the 90s.

Werder Bremen lead the Geordies by 10-3 as the tie moves into the 2nd half, so we're two votes from no EPL representation in the 3rd round! :-O Slight travesty one fancies.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
In which case we will play you the following season after your relegation. Nothing wrong with being a league one club, Championship is just a little bit too close to the promised land of the Premiership and the misery it brings so many clubs.
League One is fine, nonetheless it's always nice to chase the dream

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Well there we have it. Werder Bremen advance at Newcastle's expense by a margin of 10-4, meaning that the Premier League is without representation in round 3. FTR I'd have backed the Geordies as they'd doubtless be starting as second favourites in the tie.

So that means the sixteen qualifiers for the third round as as follows:

Doncaster Rovers
AFC Ajax
PSV Eindhoven
Morecambe
CFR Cluj
Exeter City
Wellington Phoenix
Boca Juniors
Partick Thistle
Sydney FC
Celtic
FC Barcelona
Sporting Lisbon
Hannover 96
Tranmere Rovers
SV Werder Bremen

Four English teams, two from each of The Netherlands, Scotland & Germany and solitary reprensentatives from Romania, New Zealand, Argentina, Australia, Spain & Portugal.

First out of the hat (well, randomiser) are:

1. Celtic v 2. Tranmere Rovers

3. Exeter City v 4. Sydney FC

Corrin's white army face the green half of the auld firm and the mighty Grecians go up against the Australian reps.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Woah, im guessing there are no negative votes in this battle...so ill have to abstain on the first battle as i can't bring myself to vote for either team...ill go for Exeter in the second one though.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Woah, im guessing there are no negative votes in this battle...so ill have to abstain on the first battle as i can't bring myself to vote for either team...ill go for Exeter in the second one though.
Ah, sorry. Unless you can bring yourself to choose the Grecians lose your vote too:

I'll be running two battles per day & the 10 vote mercy kill rule will apply. I'm also banning fence sitting; there will be no abstaining: you have to have an opinion!! Any abstentions will null and void your other preference for the day.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
First one, both sides have things going for and against them, toss of a coin says Tranmere.

Exeter in the second.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Go with Tranmere, Dav. I know it's Corrin, but us Lower League teams are sticking together here.

Tranmere and Exeter

Steulen

International Regular
Celtic. Great place, great shirts, Jan Vennegoor.

Sydney. Great place, too bad it's full of matey blokey types. So I'm voting for Exeter there.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
:blowup:

aww dav my avatar is owned until Feb 26th...so if you want a bet on next week's game, and you win, well you'll be waiting a while....I'd still be up for it, nonetheless...