• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Cook Report

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
When at least one player other than Root gets within 10 runs of Cook's average in The Wheel of Mediocrity then we can debate the possibility of playing two non-Cook openers. Until then the idea is ridiculous.
I am so relieved he is in the NZ squad. The way the speculation was building I was expecting him not to be in it and to take a break. The big score comes and all that dies down and the press go back to talking about records and how he can play on for ages yet as 33 is still young.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
The fact that he's rarely played ODI and T20 cricket means that it should add some (further) longevity to his career. The rush to push him off, especially when Anderson and Broad might only be one serious injury away from not playing Tests again (over 30 years old and fast bowlers) is a little over the top.

I guess it's never great to hear whispers and talk of him finishing in the papers, as smoke, fire, etc.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
I would put Cook in the same category as Trescothick and Strauss - all three of whom had some serious technical flaws but still managed to forge decent test careers primarily relying on their temperament. I would struggle to pick between the three but I would gladly take all three over the current batch of players
Agreed. Albeit better than Strauss. Tresco remains an enigma. I actually rated him pretty highly.

All 3 have/had limitations though

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
But that's the point right. Winning a game of cricket is about cashing in when you're on top. Half centuries are useful but if your top six are only scoring half centuries you're not really cashing in when you're on top. You're doing the opposite - throwing away a strong platform. When someone hits 150+, even if two or three batsmen throw their wickets away cheaply the rest of the team can bat around the big hundred to compile a good total.

Basically the first theoretical batsman wins you games while the second theoretical batsman is the support act for others to win games.
An opener who consistently gets out in the first few overs is opening the floodgates to disaster.

There are intangibles beyond the raw data. They boost the opposition, destroy morale in their own team. Expose middle order stroke makers to the new ball, etc. Cricket is a very psychological game.

Last edited:

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
The only one of those three I'd actually want to watch is Trescothick. The other two are the dullest stodge.