• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The closest batsman you have ever seen to Don Bradman

Brook's side

State Vice-Captain
There was another Aussie batsman, maybe in the 90s who reckons Bradman told him to change his grip so it was like his. Think Bradman said he was the only person he'd given the tip to.

Edit: of course, it was G Chappell (so not 90s)

Last edited:
Steve Smith from 2014-2019 probably was. Though he only converted 3 out of 19 Tons to 200. Far and away the biggest blemish in his extraordinary record.IIRC Bradman converted 10 tons out of his 19 to 200 at his peak.Apart from that he was closest to Bradmanesque.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Steve Smith from 2014-2019 probably was. Though he only converted 3 out of 19 Tons to 200. Far and away the biggest blemish in his extraordinary record.IIRC Bradman converted 10 tons out of his 19 to 200 at his peak.Apart from that he was closest to Bradmanesque.
He actually converted 10 out of 14 at one point, including twice converting four in a row.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
His conversion rate of big scores always boggles my mind. Insane to think that he still holds the record for double centuries (and equally shares) the record for triple centuries after 75 years, especially with other batsman generally playing 2-3x more tests than him.

Ali TT

International Debutant
What where the reasons for Bradman refusing to tour to India.
Virat Kohli.

I don't think I've seen enough clips of Bradman to say who looks like him technically or stylistically. Statistically, even if we assume standards are much higher now, no one in the game has ever stood so far above his peers. In fact, few if any have done so in any sport.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Obviously nobody has come near to The Don over a career but the two players who I've seen that have got near that level for a reasonable period are Viv Richards and Steve Smith.

I'd love to have seen The Don - for me he's the greatest sportsman who has ever played any sport.

To put Bradman into perspective, let's assume the 2nd greatest player ever is Steve Smith, who averages about 40 runs less per innings than The Don.

Smith averages about 40 runs more than Brett Lee.

So the gap between The Don and the 2nd greatest ever player, is the same as the gap between Smith and Lee.

That's beyond belief.

Last edited:

JBMAC

State Captain
Virat Kohli.

I don't think I've seen enough clips of Bradman to say who looks like him technically or stylistically. Statistically, even if we assume standards are much higher now, no one in the game has ever stood so far above his peers. In fact, few if any have done so in any sport.
Well i am fortunate enough to have seen Bradman play. As for who is closest to him check my previous Post.

Flem274*

123/5
Smith, Ponting and Tendulkar are the most ruthless batsmen I have seen so I guess it must feel like watching them but ramped up a couple of levels.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Smith, Ponting and Tendulkar are the most ruthless batsmen I have seen so I guess it must feel like watching them but ramped up a couple of levels.
He was basically scoring as fast as Lara/Ponting and on average lasting twice as long at the crease. Crazy to think about.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pretty remarkable that this thread has spawned 2 pages of legitimate discussion given it started as slippy memeing

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
He was basically scoring as fast as Lara/Ponting and on average lasting twice as long at the crease. Crazy to think about.
Not that crazy when you factor in that he was batting in most batting friendly era in cricket.

Crazy still but not that crazy.

Ali TT

International Debutant
That's because they were all terrible players who would struggle to average 15 now a days.
Maybe, maybe not. But whatever the era (since WW1) and even with swings from being more batting friendly to more bowling friendly the upper limit for batting has been 60 and the lower limit for bowling 20. It's remarkable how consistent those boundaries have been. There's only been one exception to that rule.

Last edited:

HookShot

U19 Vice-Captain
Bradman and Steve Smith seem to have a similar technique when playing the pull-shot - initially chest on but then a big pivot on the back-foot to be facing long-leg.

Last edited: