• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The case for Shaun Pollock

Flem274*

123/5
Shaun Pollock's bowling definitely gets treated as an also-ran by most on here during ATG rankings chat, me included. I think I rated him a lot higher as a kid than I do now (though child me was more scarred by his ODI batting - if you're kiwi you know the exact over). Maybe it's because he was the bridesmaid bowler of his time playing for the bridesmaid side. Who knows, but I will make a case for him.

He was awesome. He's the third best bowler I've seen the career of, and he maintained his standards through the 2000s homogenous pitch era where every other **** started averaging 50 with the bat. Pollock was one of their few reality checks.

If I am consistent with how and why I rate guys, then I need to boost Pollock up my personal rankings purely as a bowler. I rank McGrath slightly above Marshall as #1 of all time because McGrath did it in the hardest era on record for bowling since at least ancient history. Now I know plenty will disagree with McGrath at #1 and that's fine. The crucial takeaway is most people on CW give some credit to McGrath for doing well during the 2000s when bowling was not much fun, and in ATG discussion they rank him somewhere between 1-10, usually 1-5.

Pollock's statistical peak straddled two eras, lasting from 1998 - 2003 where he took 274 @ 20. From 2000 to the end of his career in 2008 he took 260 @ 24. If we want to indulge some Fab 4 maths and remove good performances, between 2003 - 2008 he took 103 @ 30 from his final 30 tests. That is actually quite serviceable for his era and looking deeper it appears he ran into a brick wall called Australia who broke his average. Without including Australia he took 91 @ 26 during that period, which is phenomenal for the mid 00s.

In case this is confirming the narrative he failed against the best opposition of his time, during his peak he did tour Australia and took 20 wickets in 5 tests at an average of 26. I can't argue with that.

Pollock was exceptional. He is still behind McGrath and others, but he can touch them. I can't hold the final 30 test matches of being ATVG standard (barring the Australian wall) against a guy who delivered 70+ test matches (a full career tbh) of ATG bowling everywhere he went.

In my book, a large part of your greatness is derived from your value and rarity in your era. Our minimum expectations of batsmen correctly rose during the 00s compared to the 80s and 90s because of how common it was for your opposition to have several 40+ or often 50+ averaging batsmen in their side (there is a strong case for reverting our expectations back now which I might make another day). It wasn't good to average 40 now, it was expected.

Pace bowlers who could keep their average well below 30 were very rare, and Shaun Pollock did this comfortably. He, McGrath and a small handful of others were a class apart and so much more valuable to their sides in the first decade of the 2000s than most pace bowlers in history.

Pollock was no condition reliant vampire who disappeared under the hot Australian sun like is sometimes implied, he's got a very strong case for being in the top ten bowlers of all time. Then of course, there are the batting figures...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I have always felt Shaun Pollock was a great bowler and cricketer. Was pretty good in the slips too and remember all the pressure of taking over and running the team after Hansie-gate. Very under rated everywhere IMHO.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Shaun Pollock's bowling definitely gets treated as an also-ran by most on here during ATG rankings chat, me included. I think I rated him a lot higher as a kid than I do now (though child me was more scarred by his ODI batting - if you're kiwi you know the exact over)
Kyle Mills? Didn't SA still lose that game
I have always felt Shaun Pollock was a great bowler and cricketer. Was pretty good in the slips too and remember all the pressure of taking over and running the team after Hansie-gate. Very under rated everywhere IMHO.
This is news to me

agree that he's an underrated cricketer in general

Last edited:

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
i like the phrase ancient history to describe the old bowlers. pre Bradman cricket is basically BC

Himannv

International Coach
I think the latter part of this career affected my opinion a bit. It was like he suddenly fell off a cliff. He toured Sri Lanka in 2006 and he was so bad that he changed his run up just to get through an over. Around the same time, you had freaks like McGrath bowling GOAT level stuff despite his age. It might have been different if he was the bride, but he was the bridesmaid that turned into the village bicycle.

trundler

Averaged <20 after 51 tests, only bowler to do so. Definitely fell away quite a bit but 100+ tests for a fast bowler is insanity (barring English test spam). Generally think 'he'd be better if he'd retired earlier' is stupid reasoning and this applies here too. Probably just didn't stand out as much compared to McGrath.

Also, he usually gets picked in the first 3 rounds in a draft after Imran and Hadlee go which is probably appropriate rating for his AR credentials.

TheJediBrah

I think the latter part of this career affected my opinion a bit. It was like he suddenly fell off a cliff. He toured Sri Lanka in 2006 and he was so bad that he changed his run up just to get through an over. Around the same time, you had freaks like McGrath bowling GOAT level stuff despite his age. It might have been different if he was the bride, but he was the bridesmaid that turned into the village bicycle.
lmao not sure you meant it the way this sounds

subshakerz

International Coach
Great player but suffered from the 90s South African curse of being underrated for being dull, like Kallis.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Pollock has only one ten wicket haul to his credit, so if you're picking an ATG South African side Donald and Steyn make it ahead of him in part due to being more likely to run through a side. Then you'd expect his all-round abilities to give him the edge over anybody else for the third seamer spot (although Rabada is looming as competition there), but Procter may very well have turned out to be an even better all-rounder if he'd had the chance, which plenty of people do believe and opt for him over Pollock. So Pollock suffers a little from the embarrassment of riches that South Africa has had over the years.

Flem274*

123/5
Procter played 7 games, never took a test 10fer himself and has a lower batting average. Are we going to start putting Kyle Jamieson in all time sides over Pollock now? Didn't think so.

Rabada has never scored a 50 in red ball cricket. Gun bowler though.

Pollock is probably one of the first picked in my all time World 2nd XI, and walks into the South African all time side.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Procter played 7 games, never took a test 10fer himself and has a lower batting average. Are we going to start putting Kyle Jamieson in all time sides over Pollock now? Didn't think so.
Jamieson doesn't have 400 first class matches under his belt. Procter, like Barry Richards, is a tricky to assess because of how his test career was cut short. One approach is to say "too bad" and not consider him for an ATG side while the other is to extrapolate from his first class career. Neither approach is necessarily wrong, but my suggestion was that Pollock may sometimes get overlooked because he wasn't necessarily the best fast bowling all-rounder that South Africa produced.

Rabada has never scored a 50 in red ball cricket. Gun bowler though.
Yeah, that wasn't a comment on Rabada's batting, which is nowhere near as good as Pollock's. What I was trying to say was that at the moment, Pollock's batting gives him the edge over Rabada, but if Rabada carries on going the way he has then that might outweigh Pollock's batting, at least to the extent that it's not so clear cut a choice between the two.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
At the time I always considered Clive Rice to be the better cricketer of the two, obviously a less exuberant character than Procter.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Genuinely slippery in that home debut series against England but he kept losing yards every season it seemed. Was positively boring to watch for the last third of his career. Still not a record to scoff at.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
When Pollock crossed 300 wickets, he had the best bowling average of any bowler ever with 200+ wickets. He still always flew under the radar.

Another interesting thing – he took a very high proportion of high value wickets (i.e. more accomplished batters), at least upto his first 75 tests or so. I remember he compared favorably or at par to even McGrath and Ambrose who are renowned giant slayers.

He didn't take as many big hauls however – 16 fivers and 1 tenfer in 108 tests compared to 20 fivers and 3 tenfers for his partner Donald in just 72 tests. That explains his reputation as a good, consistent bowler who kept it tidy but didn't run through sides.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
When Pollock crossed 300 wickets, he had the best bowling average of any bowler ever with 200+ wickets. He still always flew under the radar.

Another interesting thing – he took a very high proportion of high value wickets (i.e. more accomplished batters), at least upto his first 75 tests or so. I remember he compared favorably or at par to even McGrath and Ambrose who are renowned giant slayers.

He didn't take as many big hauls however – 16 fivers and 1 tenfer in 108 tests compared to 20 fivers and 3 tenfers for his partner Donald in just 72 tests. That explains his reputation as a good, consistent bowler who kept it tidy but didn't run through sides.
In short, he was the Jadeja to Donald & Steyn's Ashwin.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
On a more serious note, yea he was a great cricketer overall but that's probably about right - despite his stats (and they're great ones) he's not one that pops out immediately and he sits comfortably outside the top 10 because of various measures (latter slump despite the incredible first ~75 or so). Still a gun bowler though and a handy bat which actually helps him for any ATG XI style inclusions really.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Kyle Mills? Didn't SA still lose that game

This is news to me

agree that he's an underrated cricketer in general
They did, but it scared piss out of us all. One of those 'remember exactly where you were when you watched it' games

I think from memory, it was rain affected and should never have got underway, but did? Then Pollock needed 20 something and Kyle Mills developed a no ball problem