• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The boredom of test cricket?

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Would it really be so much harder to add the extra letters in to make up complete words?

And, sorry purists, but there are going to be more and more people like Mard gaining interest in the sport, thanks to Twenty20. Not to say I don't like test cricket, but not everyone will be as interested in the longer version as the self-appointed "morally superior" Test fans...
Yup. Not that there's anything wrong with non Test fans getting involved, either. It's all cricket, just a different form. Tests are my preferred cricket but I enjoy Twenty20, thought the Twenty20 WC was an excellent advertisement for the game, particularly the final. Twenty20 I found far more tactical than people gave it credit for too.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Fair enough. Everyone has different tastes. The key to appreciating the mental battle going on as well as the visible one that you can see; do you think the batsmen enjoy blocking it out, hell no! But they have to to succeed and it is this determination and battle that 'purists' love about Test cricket.
Yeah, Id say the same. Everyone can like what they want.

In the same way I cant imagine why anyone would spend over 5 pounds on a bottle of wine.

I like wine but dont claim to be an expert or appreciate the subtlties. Doesnt mean I dont know what I like or will let myself get told what I should prefer. However, I understand there are others more knowledgable on the topic.
And, sorry purists, but there are going to be more and more people like Mard gaining interest in the sport, thanks to Twenty20. Not to say I don't like test cricket, but not everyone will be as interested in the longer version as the self-appointed "morally superior" Test fans...
Yup. Not that there's anything wrong with non Test fans getting involved, either. It's all cricket, just a different form. Tests are my preferred cricket but I enjoy Twenty20, thought the Twenty20 WC was an excellent advertisement for the game, particularly the final. Twenty20 I found far more tactical than people gave it credit for too.
Agreed.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
ok guys i have to admit this, i can't stand test cricket some times. The boredom of watching a batsmen who keeps defending or leaving the ball just gets to me. I dont understand how people pay money to watch test cricket? I dont mind watching exciting test matches but most of that matches are really boring. How do you guys watch when a batsmen in scoring like 1 run per over??? its so slow
There is no problem with a batsman scoring at one run per over (or even less) for me if there is a purpose behind me which I can appreciate. If the batsman is fighting for dear life on a spiteful wicket and/or is struggling to negotiate superb bowling by a skillful set of bowlers, I am fascinated because it is a contest I that engrosses me. I would not have the batsman do anything else. I would not have him throw away his wicket like some idiot without doing his darnndest for his side.

BUT

If it is leading to nothing except grind the opposition to the same dust in which they are already so badly ground as to be indistinguishable from it. Or as a time filler because the captain/s have decided that they are not going to find it in the wicket or in their teams to get a result out of the game and hence decide to take it upon themselves to show the hapless spectator what an idiot he was to patronize this format in the first place (as they have done in your case so successfully). Then I do tear my hair out or better still walk away from the game whether at the ground or, as is more often the case, from the television.

It is for this reason that the game needs to be saved for the players who play it and the captains who lead them into such pointless situations at times. Not to mention the combination of authorities, priorities, groundsmen and sets of rules that help bring about more, rather than fewer, such occasions.

Natman20

International Debutant
I have no problem with test matches. If its getting boring it just means that it is a tight battle. The thing I don't like about tests is that if one team is dominant for the first two days then you pretty much know the result of the match and then its just watching the enevitable. Sometimes the outcome does change eg. Eng SA where I thought Eng would win when SA had to follow on. Its just sometimes the last couple of days are not that interesting at times when a team is dominant.

Mard

Banned
There is no problem with a batsman scoring at one run per over (or even less) for me if there is a purpose behind me which I can appreciate. If the batsman is fighting for dear life on a spiteful wicket and/or is struggling to negotiate superb bowling by a skillful set of bowlers, I am fascinated because it is a contest I that engrosses me. I would not have the batsman do anything else. I would not have him throw away his wicket like some idiot without doing his darnndest for his side.

BUT

If it is leading to nothing except grind the opposition to the same dust in which they are already so badly ground as to be indistinguishable from it. Or as a time filler because the captain/s have decided that they are not going to find it in the wicket or in their teams to get a result out of the game and hence decide to take it upon themselves to show the hapless spectator what an idiot he was to patronize this format in the first place (as they have done in your case so successfully). Then I do tear my hair out or better still walk away from the game whether at the ground or, as is more often the case, from the television.

It is for this reason that the game needs to be saved for the players who play it and the captains who lead them into such pointless situations at times. Not to mention the combination of authorities, priorities, groundsmen and sets of rules that help bring about more, rather than fewer, such occasions.
yeah i agree with you, i like to watch test matches where a batsmen is fighting to survive or a bowler is desperately wanting a wicket, those are ofcourse exciting. But unfortunatly those matches are pretty rare.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Aren't there less draws now than ever in test history? There are surely some one-sdied games, but I'd have thought that non-weather affected draws are the excpetion rather than the rule these days, and by a fair margin.

Flem274*

123/5
Watching test cricket in never boring when you support NZ "Yes, we might win this one, we've got the ****s on the ropes.....argh damn English top order! Why couldn't you just die like you did the last 100 times?"

That second test in England broke my heart.