• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The biggest spinner of the cricket ball?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pot, kettle, black. Veiling your words in your original post on the matter doesn't fool anyone.
****, he’s onto me.

Also not addressing the substance of the post, particularly surrounding the doosra. that ball cannot be delivered without chucking it. By anyone

shortpitched713

International Captain
Also not addressing the substance of the post, particularly surrounding the doosra. that ball cannot be delivered without chucking it. By anyone
Depends how you define chucking. According to the definition of tptb , it clearly can be, as Murali and others have bowled it for years, meanwhile bowlers who were deemed to be chucking still were having their actions reported and even bans meted out during the same time period.

Burgey

I know Murali bowled it for years. That he got away with it despite the testing outcomes on it is a joke.

i know there were bowlers reported for years. And it was great. Should be loads more of it.

TheJediBrah

Need to appoint someone with conviction like Daryl Hair to oversee an IDCRS (International Dirty Chucker Review System)

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Club cricket is so full of blatant chuckers these days tbh. No one will ever call them for it anymore
This is so very true. When umpiring we were instructed NOT to call chuckers but to include mention of 'doubtful actions' in our match report. The Association, in conjunction with the Umpires' Advisor, were then to check and film the action and make some sort of ruling. The problem was the filming was going to be conducted at a training session and the offender, knowing full well he was being checked, would modify his action to satisfy those checking him.
I can think of at least 3 Club bowlers I would have 'called' had I been allowed.

TheJediBrah

This is so very true. When umpiring we were instructed NOT to call chuckers but to include mention of 'doubtful actions' in our match report. The Association, in conjunction with the Umpires' Advisor, were then to check and film the action and make some sort of ruling. The problem was the filming was going to be conducted at a training session and the offender, knowing full well he was being checked, would modify his action to satisfy those checking him.
I can think of at least 3 Club bowlers I would have 'called' had I been allowed.
Exact same problem in International cricket

They even pretend at legitimacy by having some guy go and watch to make sure the bowler hasn't changed their action. Laughable.

subshakerz

International Coach
Depends how you define chucking. According to the definition of tptb , it clearly can be, as Murali and others have bowled it for years, meanwhile bowlers who were deemed to be chucking still were having their actions reported and even bans meted out during the same time period.
Saqlain delivered his doosra differently, by almost turning his body as he approached the crease. Others normally bowl it with a crooked elbow which creates problems.

One thing I don't get, doesn't a leg spinner bowling a googly also technically bowl with a crooked arm too?

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Same here, pretty sure most associations have disallowed calling throwers except if the bowler randomly pegs it as a one off sort of thing. Where I umpire it's common knowledge that when reported no action is taken outside of the top two grades. Problem is all but the absolute best kids tend to spend at least a bit of time in fourths or thirds, and by the time they've matured and moved into the top grades it's ingrained in their action.

shortpitched713

International Captain
One thing I don't get, doesn't a leg spinner bowling a googly also technically bowl with a crooked arm too?
The difference is between straightening a bent arm through the delivery ( what can happen when a bowler runs afoul attempting a doosra) vs bending a straight arm during delivery.

The latter of those is not considered chucking because it is not problematic in generating extra power or leverage. This is why you hear people say things like "you can't chuck a legbreak".

Also, everyone bends a straight arm, during the follow through of their bowling action. It's actually a rather necessary part of the action. Bowling is hard and unnatural enough of a movement as is, don't need to challenge yourself further by keeping your arm rigidly straight for longer than you need.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
MacGill ripped the **** out of it consistently. I don’t think I’ve seen anyone spin it more

subshakerz

International Coach
The difference is between straightening a bent arm through the delivery ( what can happen when a bowler runs afoul attempting a doosra) vs bending a straight arm during delivery.

The latter of those is not considered chucking because it is not problematic in generating extra power or leverage. This is why you hear people say things like "you can't chuck a legbreak".

Also, everyone bends a straight arm, during the follow through of their bowling action. It's actually a rather necessary part of the action. Bowling is hard and unnatural enough of a movement as is, don't need to challenge yourself further by keeping your arm rigidly straight for longer than you need.
In that case, I don't see the issue with Murali's action. Because even if he bowls with a bent arm, his force is clearly coming from the shoulder, not the upper arm which is already bent.

Status
Not open for further replies.