• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Australia Thread

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't think they'll make the semi's actually, not that I've looked at who they are likely to play in the quarters, but it's just a hunch.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah its abit of a worry that we only put on 6 points in the first half against an understrength Welsh team when we dominated posession - and that was better then the first week.

Cliffy will be one of our best though, hes in great form.

cbuts

International Debutant
you will have England in the quaters - will be a tough team for a team of Australia's abilities

cbuts

International Debutant
Samoa to upset England in Pool play and knock them out? Nearly happend in 03

cbuts

International Debutant
have to laugh at the Aussie media talking up Australia after the "destroyed" Fiji 49-0 on the weekend.

Didnt our Juniors just put 60 on them the week before.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Especially as only about 4 of that starting Fijian line-up are expected to be in the first XV come World Cup time...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Samoa to upset England in Pool play and knock them out? Nearly happend in 03
Wouldn't be surprised tbh. Gee they played hard against SA in the weekend. There are some bruised yarpies today I would say
Get your money on now then fellas. You can get 11/2 on Samoa qualifying above us.

The thing is, as well as Samoa did in 2003, we still won by 13 points. I don't wanna come off as the token rabid Pom, but there's no way I can see Samoa beating us. They concede too many penalties at beakdowns so we'll kick the game out til they have to play catch up Rugby.

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
Aust looking real good against the Saffies leading 16-10 at the break. Vickerman and Gregan playing superbly. Burger is also getting very involved, though he did "accidentally" poke gits in the eye.

ripper868

International Coach
the aussie performance against the yarpies was awesome. everyone (including me) wrote them off, i think they showed there is still some ticker there, the backline is key, and the one that played the saffies should stay the same.

9 - Gregan
10- Larkham
12- Giteau
13- mortlock

mortlock did appear lazy but will improve as normal.
gits may be a better half than gregan but gregan gets the job done and gits is more of a threat at inside the half.
larkham didnt have a stand out game but he didnt do anything terrible for mine.

back three is a toss up. me thinks like this
11 - Tuquiri
14 - Mitchell
15 - Latham ( in the cup) for now....huxley, mitchell, ashley-cooper, Dunning. dont think it matters right now, latham in the cup, matt burke surprise inclusion in the squad.

cbuts

International Debutant
mate it doesnt matter who u got in the backs

the australian forwards will struggle to gain 40% of the ball, and what scraps they do get will be on the back foot and under pressure

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Tuquiri and Dunning on a midnight curfew for the entire world cup i'm led to beleive. It's no wonder ARU had to pay Tuquiri so much, it seems he's needs every penny of it to pay for the fines.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Tuquiri will get himself sacked and return to league after the WC, its been pretty obvious his over Rugby for a while, just wanted another shot at WC glory.