• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Top 6 of Didnt do well IN Australia A

Greenidge
Haynes
Worrell
Miandad
Compton
Chanderpal

Top 6 of Didnt do well IN Australia B

G.Smith [39]
Gooch [33 /43]
May [40 /47]
Root [38]
Cowdrey [36/ his career is 43 AND he had his stupid comeback in his 40's in 74/75 which dropped it to 36 :P]
M. Yousuf [32]
Really not sure on Cowdrey being included. Nor Peter May. Root's 38 is hardly terrible neither. Yousuf is a big drop. But it appears every single batsmen in both lists is above 30? Greenidge and Hayne both do much worse in Pakistan. :P

Last edited:

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Going by averages: the following batsmen average 40+ in their career, but <30 in Australia (at least 10 outs in Aus):

Jimmy Adams: 41.26/24.39
Les Ames: 40.57/17.44
Dennis Amiss: 46.31/22.09
Mohammad Azharuddin: 45.04/27.73
Stephen Fleming: 40.07/29.27
Lawrence Rowe: 43.55/27.00
Thilan Samaraweera: 48.77/17.92
Ramnaresh Sarwan: 40.01/19.12
Marcus Trescothick: 43.80/26.10
Dilip Vengsarkar: 42.13/28.69
Cyril Washbrook: 42.82/26.80
Everton Weekes: 58.62/24.50

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Curious fact I spotted while checking that stat: the only Australian batsmen who averaged 40+ in Aus (10+ outs) but <30 overall were Joe Darling and Rick Darling.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
No worries. Next time I refer to a conversation that we had publicly I shall refer to you as Mr X or "He who shall not be named" to keep the weird factor down for you.
Or, instead of mentioning me 15 times making one point, make your point in one post and then stop arguing

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Admittedly late on this, but final warning. Cut this **** out or I'm handing out more infractions than Meltzer does stars.

EDIT:
Right, very late. Should have checked date-stamps. Oh well, point still stands.

Last edited:

Red

From another thread that's gone WAY off topic....which ATG side would win?

Gavaskar
Hutton
Bradman
Tendulkar
Richards
Sobers
Gilchrist
Imran
Botham
Kapil Dev
Warne

or...

Gavaskar
Hutton
Bradman
Tendulkar
Richards
Sobers
Gilchrist
Ambrose
Garner
McGrath
Murali

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Gavaskar
Hutton
Bradman
Tendulkar
Richards
Sobers
Gilchrist
Imran
Botham
Kapil Dev
Warne

or...

Gavaskar
Hutton
Bradman
Tendulkar
Richards
Sobers
Gilchrist
Ambrose
Garner
McGrath
Murali
I'll take the 2nd XI. Switch Ambrose/Garner with Steyn if possible for variety, unless you went for 3 corridor bowlers on purpose
Dev and Botham as frontline bowlers don't cut it at this level. That tail is going to add 60
-80 odd but leak a lot more, imo. Garner's gully fielding will come in handy too.

Last edited:

srbhkshk

International Captain
On normal wickets the second team will win most of the time, on very flat or very tough wickets the first team is competitive.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Gavaskar
Hutton
Bradman
Tendulkar
Richards
Sobers
Gilchrist
Imran
Hadlee
Warne
Marshall

or...

Gavaskar
Hutton
Bradman
Tendulkar
Richards
Sobers
Gilchrist
Ambrose
Garner
McGrath
Murali

might be a fairer test

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd take the first of those two XIs. Bowling is of similar quality but the tail is very weak in the second.

Still I think any match is going to end in a draw. No chance you will dismiss Bradman 4 times within 5 days.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gavaskar
Hutton
Bradman
Tendulkar
Richards
Sobers
Gilchrist
Imran
Hadlee
Warne
Marshall

or...

Gavaskar
Hutton
Bradman
Tendulkar
Richards
Sobers
Gilchrist
Ambrose
Garner
McGrath
Murali

might be a fairer test
Not really for 2 reasons: 1) Marshall's batting is somewhere in-between the 2 extremes supposed to be depicted by the XIs and 2) Any team with an identical batting order along with Marshall and 3 other ATGs trumps any team without Marshall.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Not really for 2 reasons: 1) Marshall's batting is somewhere in-between the 2 extremes supposed to be depicted by the XIs and 2) Any team with an identical batting order along with Marshall and 3 other ATGs trumps any team without Marshall.
Well, as I don't agree at all with reason 1 at all as batting with bowling is the sole point, not extremes, I am happy to accomodate reason 2; so

Gavaskar
Hutton
Bradman
Tendulkar
Richards
Sobers
Gilchrist
Imran
Hadlee
Warne
Marshall

or...

Gavaskar
Hutton
Bradman
Tendulkar
Richards
Sobers
Gilchrist
Marshall
Garner
McGrath
Murali

might be a fairer test

Last edited:

Bolo

State Captain

Gavaskar
Hutton
Bradman
Tendulkar
Richards
Sobers
Gilchrist
Imran
Botham
Kapil Dev
Warne

or...

Gavaskar
Hutton
Bradman
Tendulkar
Richards
Sobers
Gilchrist
Ambrose
Garner
McGrath
Murali
Dev stands out like a sore thumb. Everyone else has a reasonable argument for being there, but he weakens the team.

If you are picking players based on peaks, it's still the first team-based Botham and Imran were insane.

Picking on career it's the second. A fat Botham, a medium paced Imran and Dev would be a sub-par attack in a regular outfit, not just an ATG one.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Dev stands out like a sore thumb. Everyone else has a reasonable argument for being there, but he weakens the team.

If you are picking players based on peaks, it's still the first team-based Botham and Imran were insane.

Picking on career it's the second. A fat Botham, a medium paced Imran and Dev would be a sub-par attack in a regular outfit, not just an ATG one.
I think Dev was a magnificent cricketer, I just don't think he is suited to make this point short of ridiculous extremes.

Even if Marshall is a sway factor, I'd sacrifice him for Akram before Dev or Botham in a tail of Imran, Hadlee and Warne.

Last edited:

Red

How does he stand out like a sore thumb in a team where I am picking one XI stacked with ATG bowling all rounders vs. another XI with pure ATG bowlers who were fairly poor bats?

Bolo

State Captain
Every bowler other than Dev from both teams has a legitimate claim to being deserving of a place in an ATG team using some method of selection. You would need to use player peak for Botham but he still has a claim. You see all of these guys crop up in discussion other than Garner, who is probably the best change bowler in history and is worth a shout.

Dev simply isn't good enough no matter your selection methodology and brings the quality of the team down. Miller would be a better shout.

Or Pollock in for Botham as well to get around the peak/average question because the contest will be too uneven if looking at Bothams peak once Miller comes in, but he doesn't really belong if not looking at peak.