• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Island XI:

Hobbs
Hutton
Hammond
Lara
Richards
Sobers
Watling
Hadlee
Marshall
Garner
Muralitharan

Continental XI:

Simpson
Gavaskar
Bradman
Tendulkar
Smith
Kallis
Gilchrist
Imran
Warne
Steyn
McGrath

SillyCowCorner1

None of the 3 W’s in the Island XI just goes to show how much of a powerhouse the island of Barbados is when it comes to cricket.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Ashes XI. But it has to be an even (6/5) split so it isn't too full of England players. :tooth:

Hobbs
Hutton
Bradman
Hammond
Smith
Gilchrist
Botham
Warne
Trueman
Lillee
mcGrath

Flem274*

123/5
Henry Nicholls is the version of Ollie Pope that plays in a strong batting lineup on pitches that completely negate spin. Certainly nowhere near Bell. Root is better than Williamson chiefly because of his superior away record too.
Bell is better but this is not why lol

Nicholls had a series winning tour against Yasir Shah. He can definitely play spin unless it's on your average Indian fast turn deck, in which case you want Steve Smith.

Flem274*

123/5
What does a womens ATG side look like? I guess you'd have to merge tests and odis together since they play so few tests.

-
-
Debbie Hockley
Elyse Perry
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

What's the rest? Lanning, Kerr, Mithali Raj, Mathews, Ismail, Sciver get in? I don't know the history at all. Sthalekar was pretty good wasn't she?

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
What does a womens ATG side look like? I guess you'd have to merge tests and odis together since they play so few tests.

-
-
Debbie Hockley
Elyse Perry
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

What's the rest? Lanning, Kerr, Mithali Raj, Mathews, Ismail, Sciver get in? I don't know the history at all. Sthalekar was pretty good wasn't she?
I reckon you'd have to find a spot for Rachael Heyhoe Flint given her historic status within the game, Belinda Clark was the first person to make an ODI double century, and I'd have Sarah Taylor behind the stumps.

ataraxia

International Coach
In general the lower quality of the game leads to stupidly good all-rounders. Looking around the current sides, there's Kerr, Perry, Matthews, and Kapp all incredible.

TheJediBrah

-
-
Debbie Hockley
Elyse Perry
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Karen Rolton would be one of the first picked

jayjay

U19 Cricketer
Winning an overseas series the one time a pacer did well is kinda solid indicator of what that team was lacking.
My point is the batsmen weren't exactly performing overseas to their best abilities. Read the comparisons with what some consider to be a weaker Pak middle order that I posted. Z. Khan and even Kumble needed super human efforts in that test series to win to compensate for mediocre batting performances (till maybe the last test but I can't remember off the top of my head now).

Also I'm not saying it's the sole reason for India's weak away urn in the 00s, just that such a great batting line up often under performed.

jayjay

U19 Cricketer
Why are you laughing?

Williamson is slightly better than Root
KP is better than Taylor
Nicholls = Bell
Watling is better than Stokes

Pretty equal overall, and obviously CDG is better than any of Bairstow/Butler/Moeen/Foakes at 7.
Not sure about that. In the last near 2 years Root may be the very best test bat on the planet and I think his career has now surpassed Williamson.

PlayerComparisons

International Debutant
At the moment Root has had the better career for sure, but I’m pretty sure Williamson will fix his away record and surpass Root by the end of his career. Root’s performances in Australia are a huge hole in his record, but outside of that he’s been great.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
At the moment Root has had the better career for sure, but I’m pretty sure Williamson will fix his away record and surpass Root by the end of his career. Root’s performances in Australia are a huge hole in his record, but outside of that he’s been great.
is root retiring this year?