• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You know, everyone said that about Guptill too (albeit the worst defensive technique of the lot). I don't buy the theory totally when it comes to that type of opener.

But refresh my memory, have there been any uber aggressive openers with sketchy defensive techniques who have flourished at test level when dumped to the middle order? I have no doubt I'm missing someone incredibly obvious. Excluding any middle-order bats who may have been forced to open at the start of their careers.

stephen

The Roar put out their voted on best Ashes XI:

Hobbs
Hayden
Bradman
Smith
Ponting
Miller
Gilchrist+
Warne
Johnson
Lillee
McGrath

A few contentious picks in that lot (mostly due to recency bias and national bias). I'd have had:

Hobbs
Hutton
Bradman
Smith
Waugh
Miller
Gilchrist+
Warne
O'Reilly/ Trueman (pitch dependent)
Lillee
McGrath

stephen

lol 10 Aussies and 1 pom

didn't really make much of an effort to be neutral did they
It was vote on by their readers, most of whom were Australian. Honestly though the only truly contentious picks were Hayden and Johnson and both have arguments for them. Hutton though was more deserving and there are a ton of quicks who should have been ahead of Johnson, even with that 13/14 Ashes.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Interesting discussions on opening pairs (Greenidge/Haynes, Haydn/Langer, Simpson/Lawry, Taylor/Slater etc).
However, in terms of ATG this is only a discussion about who's best behind (and well behind!) Hobbs/Sutcliffe.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It was vote on by their readers, most of whom were Australian. Honestly though the only truly contentious picks were Hayden and Johnson and both have arguments for them. Hutton though was more deserving and there are a ton of quicks who should have been ahead of Johnson, even with that 13/14 Ashes.
If that's the case I'm very surprised Hobbs and Miller got in

stephen

It was Miller vs Botham and Miller just squeaked through. Some bright spark put Hayden against Sutcliffe and Hutton against Hobbs. So the three English openers were in the top 4 nominations

stephen

Interesting discussions on opening pairs (Greenidge/Haynes, Haydn/Langer, Simpson/Lawry, Taylor/Slater etc).
However, in terms of ATG this is only a discussion about who's best behind (and well behind!) Hobbs/Sutcliffe.
Most of this talk is post-war.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
10 test minimum, only looking at actual Ashes records. 16 man squads:

Lawry
Morris
Bradman
Smith
Miller
Border *
Gilchrist +
Warne
Lillee
Alderman
McGrath

Davidson, OReilly, Hussey, SWaugh, Gregory

Sutcliffe
Hobbs
Hutton
Barrington
Hammond
Botham
Ames +
Larwood
Snow
Barnes
Trueman

Willis, Bedser, Underwood, Flintoff, Greig

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Combined:

Sutcliffe
Hobbs
Bradman
Smith
Hammond
Miller
Gilchrist
Warne
Lillee
Alderman
McGrath

I would gladly take Hutton as an opener in place of Hobbs or Sutcliffe, this is where England have a real edge. I think in Ashes contests, Barrington vs Smith could be argued. I don't think any England bowler deserves in over any of the Australian 4.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
10 test minimum, only looking at actual Ashes records. 16 man squads:

Lawry
Morris
Bradman
Smith
Miller
Border *
Gilchrist +
Warne
Lillee
Alderman
McGrath

Davidson, OReilly, Hussey, SWaugh, Gregory

Sutcliffe
Hobbs
Hutton
Barrington
Hammond
Botham
Ames +
Larwood
Snow
Barnes
Trueman

Willis, Bedser, Underwood, Flintoff, Greig
Alderman was good but where is Lindwall?

Snow and Willis were devastating on their day but Willis was more durable.