• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Such as Barrington & Sutcliffe, I suppose.
I've never said a thing about Barrington or Sutcliffe in my life, try again

If you have an actual issue with me I'd be interested to know though. I probably won't apologise but could be a fun exercise

And hang on a sec, when have I ever taken digs at people's nationalities?
you find a way to insult Australia nearly every time you post m8. You may not consider that "digs at people's nationalities" but it's been old for a while now.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
I've never said a thing about Barrington or Sutcliffe in my life, try again

If you have an actual issue with me I'd be interested to know though. I probably won't apologise but could be a fun exercise

you find a way to insult Australia nearly every time you post m8. You may not consider that "digs at people's nationalities" but it's been old for a while now.
I know. The post of mine you quoted earlier wasn't referring to you. But I definitely don't have an issue with you. You're very entertaining imo.

And I'm from Australia too bro. So if I were dissing people for being Aussie I'd be dissing myself.

TheJediBrah

Can you imagine if this forum was so boring that everyone behaved like adults and respected each other's opinions though?

I for one wouldn't bother with it to be quite honest

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Safe to say nobody has covered themselves in glory here

I cannot trust the judgement of anybody who defends Gavaskar as a human being, but his batting is a different story imo

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Nah.

I did say it's a respectable opinion but you can't say we don't scrutinize old timers less. Like if Hayden had played in the 50s his weakness against pace would be seen as a minor blip rather than a big hole in his record. For what it's worth I had Gavaskar and Simpson fairly close on my list. You gotta admit this whole Gavaskar is a hack thing was pointless and contrarian.
I dont think players from earlier eras get passes for things. Hammond's dislike of pace bowling is well known here, and not overlooked by most people who enjoy reading cricket history. Ponsford is similar.

I also dont think anyone thinks Gavaskar was a "hack" by any means, nor has anyone remotely suggested that. I rate Gavaskar very highly as a batsman, but I think his record can be over exaggerated by a cursory look at cricinfo and saying "he played thru the 70s and 80s and averaged 65 against the WIs". That alone looks very impressive, and it is impressive, but I think it's been demonstrated here a few times that it's perhaps not as impressive as it seems if your thoughts are immediately "he averaged 65 against Holding, Roberts, Marshall, Garner, Walsh, Ambrose etc etc"

Red

Quite amusing that Aussie posters will try and tear down someone such as Gavaskar for being a "sook" or whatever, but have no problem worshipping a player such as Glenn McGrath who was one of the worst sportsmen to ever grace the field. Staggering double standards.
You serious? Lol. I am assuming you're referring to me.

I think Hayden was a bad sportsman, and I only posted that a page or so ago.

Red

Well, he was only showing his disappointment at the boorish though not unexpected behavior of some of the worst racists ever to appear on a cricket field, the leader being the bowler himself.

For once though, they got back what they deserved. Later in the match, Yashpal Sharma and Kapil Dev mouthed off the departing batsmen as you could see in the below clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2SoSL9pU8U
Spare me mate. So sick of this crap. Australian are a long way from being actual racist people.

If you wanna start looking at which countries are the most racist, feel free to do some real research and get back to me any time.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Spare me mate. So sick of this crap. Australian are a long way from being actual racist people.

If you wanna start looking at which countries are the most racist, feel free to do some real research and get back to me any time.
I didn't say Australia anywhere though. I was referring to one incident and the players involved here. After the initial disappointment of being dismissed (he thought he hit it and Lillee unwittingly mimicked his expressions), Gavaskar was on his way to the pavilion, was racially sledged by some of the fielders, couldn't take it any more, came back and took his non striker along with him.

I didn't say he did the right thing though. He was and still is a very sensitive individual and did it in the spur of the moment.

People are making it up as though he did it because the umpire gave him out.

Red

I didn't say Australia anywhere though. I was referring to one incident and the players involved here. After the initial disappointment of being dismissed (he thought he hit it and Lillee unwittingly mimicked his expressions), Gavaskar was on his way to the pavilion, was racially sledged by some of the fielders, couldn't take it any more, came back and took his non striker along with him.

I didn't say he did the right thing though. He was and still is a very sensitive individual and did it in the spur of the moment.

People are making it up as though he did it because the umpire gave him out.
Absolute bull**** again.

You can't just make things up to suit your agenda.

Nowhere in either of these articles (one from Aust, one from India) does it suggest there were racial connections to Gavaskar walking off:

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/when-gavaskar-walked--and-almost-took-india-with-him-20141224-12dftf.html

https://www.indiatoday.in/sports/cricket/story/i-still-regret-my-melbourne-walkout-in-1981-sunil-gavaskar-233023-2014-12-27

"I regret the decision. It was a big mistake on my part. As Indian captain I was not supposed to act in that manner. In no way I can justify my act of defiance. Whether I was out or not, I should not have reacted that way," Gavaskar said during a tea-time chat show with Sanjay Manjrekar and Kapil Dev.

If there were racial incidents, Gavaskar would not regret his actions, nor say he shouldn't have reacted that way.

Don't just make stuff up.

h_hurricane

Absolute bull**** again.

You can't just make things up to suit your agenda.

Nowhere in either of these articles (one from Aust, one from India) does it suggest there were racial connections to Gavaskar walking off:

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/when-gavaskar-walked--and-almost-took-india-with-him-20141224-12dftf.html

https://www.indiatoday.in/sports/cricket/story/i-still-regret-my-melbourne-walkout-in-1981-sunil-gavaskar-233023-2014-12-27

"I regret the decision. It was a big mistake on my part. As Indian captain I was not supposed to act in that manner. In no way I can justify my act of defiance. Whether I was out or not, I should not have reacted that way," Gavaskar said during a tea-time chat show with Sanjay Manjrekar and Kapil Dev.

If there were racial incidents, Gavaskar would not regret his actions, nor say he shouldn't have reacted that way.

Don't just make stuff up.
This is the nearest thing I could get.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-hEF1RJXjQ

Notice him saying around 3:57 "when I walked off, some of the Australians mentioned something in typical Australian language and later called me by names".

He has also mentioned in one of the commentary stints that he was talked down racially. Obviously, I cannot produce this.

h_hurricane

his record can be over exaggerated by a cursory look at cricinfo and saying "he played thru the 70s and 80s and averaged 65 against the WIs".
I don't think anyone here thinks he averaged 65 against that ATG attack day in and day out. However most feel that he was good enough to average close to 50 against the best as he had his fair share of moments while playing Marshall, Holding, Roberts etc.

Red

Notice him saying around 3:57 "when I walked off, some of the Australians mentioned something in typical Australian language and later called me by names".

He has also mentioned in one of the commentary stints that he was talked down racially. Obviously, I cannot produce this.
Lol. So they probably told him to stop being a sook and get off because the umpire gave him out and he stood there like a petulant knob. Or in “typical Australian language”, “**** off mate”.

Convenient you can’t find the racist stuff as you based your argument on the Australians being racist. But ok.

h_hurricane

Lol. So they probably told him to stop being a sook and get off because the umpire gave him out and he stood there like a petulant knob. Or in “typical Australian language”, “**** off mate”.

Convenient you can’t find the racist stuff as you based your argument on the Australians being racist. But ok.
I didn't say anything to generalize Aussies though :) It was just the group up against Gavaskar that day. I went with his word based on what he said in that interview and the commentary stint.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think I'm going to stay in OT until the COVID blows over

Cricket Chat is clearly not coping well

Daemon

Further evidence of Gavaskar being racist, this time towards Australians