• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Also, interesting discovery of an obscure player called Norman Yardley. Took just 21 wickets in 20 tests, and just 279 in 446 first class games but got Bradman's wicket thrice in a row. Also unimpressive with the bat.

cricinfo profile said:
Chosen at Hammond's vice-captain on the first post-war tour of Australia, Yardley earned enduring fame by capturing Bradman's wicket ( l. b. w., bowled, and c&b) in three successive innings - at Sydney when the Australian captain had made 234, and twice at Melbourne, when Yardley took five wickets in the match and scored 61 and 53 not out, the first England player to chain a pair of half-centuries to five wickets in a Test match.

bagapath

International Captain
Also, interesting discovery of an obscure player called Norman Yardley. Took just 21 wickets in 20 tests, and just 279 in 446 first class games but got Bradman's wicket thrice in a row. Also unimpressive with the bat.
he was a skipper. i had read about him quite a bit. not obscure to some people at least i hope

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah but they used to play back to fuller balls. Was a far more common default movement back then

Maybe coz of the bouncier nature of the wickets? I guess the front foot technique really took off once you started getting SC and other slower wickets around the world?

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Kinda like the idea of Viv opening, as unconventional as it might be, esp with Greenidge.

V.Richards
G.Greenidge
G.Headley
E.Weekes
B.Lara
G.Sobers
J.Dujon +
M.Marshall
J.Garner
C.Ambrose
L.Gibbs

2nd

D.Haynes
C.Hunte
R.Kanhai
F.Worrell
C.Walcott
C.Lloyd
J.Dujon +
A.Roberts
M.Holding
I.Bishop
S.Ramadhin

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Kinda like the idea of Viv opening, as unconventional as it might be, esp with Greenidge.

V.Richards
G.Greenidge
G.Headley
E.Weekes
B.Lara
G.Sobers
J.Dujon +
M.Marshall
J.Garner
C.Ambrose
L.Gibbs

2nd

D.Haynes
C.Hunte
R.Kanhai
F.Worrell
C.Walcott
C.Lloyd
J.Dujon +
A.Roberts
M.Holding
I.Bishop
S.Ramadhin
Dujon shouldn't make both the teams :) I would have Richardson or Kallicharan there.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Dujon shouldn't make both the teams :) I would have Richardson or Kallicharan there.
My oversight, Gerry Alexander would go into the 2nd XI in place of Dujon.

RIchardson and Kallicharan were both fine players, but I'm not sure who they'd displace in the 2nd XI.

Fredericks
Gayle
Richardson
Kallicharan
Chanderpaul
Butcher
Murray +
Hall
Croft
Valentine
Walsh

ataraxia

International Coach
Viv I think actually opened a few times in the 75-76 series in Australia. Word on the street is that Gordon was scared as hell of thommo and Lillee...
Yes, and he did score runs at the late 60s in those 4 innings (know this cause of back draft).

Slifer

International Captain
My oversight, Gerry Alexander would go into the 2nd XI in place of Dujon.

RIchardson and Kallicharan were both fine players, but I'm not sure who they'd displace in the 2nd XI.

Fredericks
Gayle
Richardson
Kallicharan
Chanderpaul
Butcher
Murray +
Hall
Croft
Valentine
Walsh
4th just for schitts and giggles:

Stollmeyer
Rae
Rowe
Davis
Nurse
Adams
Jacobs+
Holder*
Roach
Patterson
Griffith

ataraxia

International Coach
I don't know anything about Windies keepers aside from Walcott and Dujon, but I've always found it weird that Jackie Hendriks made their 2009 all-time Windies XI. Anyone know why this is the case?

steve132

U19 Debutant
I don't know anything about Windies keepers aside from Walcott and Dujon, but I've always found it weird that Jackie Hendriks made their 2009 all-time Windies XI. Anyone know why this is the case?
Hendriks is regarded by many as the best pure wicketkeeper ever produced by the West Indies. Some analysts would prefer Dujon, who was not quite as outstanding behind the stumps but clearly the better batsman of the two. Walcott, of course, was a great batsman, but he gave up keeping fairly early in his career after an injury. I'm not sure that he held the job long enough to be considered for that role in an all-time team.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Sachin Tendulkar isn't "unarguably the greatest Indian cricketer" even. He might be statistically the best Indian cricketer so far though.

Greatness comes in many colors. Sunil Gavaskar and Kapil Dev very much in discussion there and it very much comes down to personal preference. I would go with Kapil (just my opinion) as I am heavily biased towards my childhood hero and strongly believe cricket would not have been same in India without the 1983 World Cup victory.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Who is the greatest Asian cricketer of all time?

It is either Sachin Tendulkar or Muttiah Muralitharan IMO.
Such a racist post going under the Radar. Imagine what would happen if it was posted "who is the greatest white cricketer of all time".

Logan

U19 Captain
Such a racist post going under the Radar. Imagine what would happen if it was posted "who is the greatest white cricketer of all time".
Racist? Really?

As an Indian, I would say Don Bradman is the greatest white cricketer and Sobers the greatest black cricketer of all time.