• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Which of the people from your time of watching cricket will you qualify as ATGs?

For me, it is...

Lara
Sachin
Dravid
Ponting
Warne
Murali
Ambrose
Steyn
McGrath
Wasim
Sangakkara
Kallis
Donald

This is the list I have off the top of my head.. unsure if I m missing anyone. And I have not included currently active players.
When talking about greatest players, I personally find it almost impossible to compare batsmen and bowlers.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Which of the people from your time of watching cricket will you qualify as ATGs?

For me, it is...

Lara
Sachin
Dravid
Ponting
Warne
Murali
Ambrose
Steyn
McGrath
Wasim
Sangakkara
Kallis
Donald

This is the list I have off the top of my head.. unsure if I m missing anyone. And I have not included currently active players.
All of them would well qualify imo

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
All of them would well qualify imo

That got me wondering, has any decade been as full of ATGs as the 90s? Even considering the fact that blokes like Kallis were just starting off their careers then, that was such an awesome time for international cricket. Hopefully 2010s will be remembered the same way.

Burgey

Smith
Kohli
Williamson

Rather a newbie to watching cricket. Not including currently active players:

Yeah.
Tbf it’s a good time to start watching cricket having those three around. All brilliant. Some good bowlers around now too.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Fab 4 of batting Vs Fab 4 of fast bowling - take your pick. Who would you rather watch?

Kohli
Smith
Williamson
Root

Or

Bumrah
Cummins
Rabada
Archer

Burgey

That got me wondering, has any decade been as full of ATGs as the 90s? Even considering the fact that blokes like Kallis were just starting off their careers then, that was such an awesome time for international cricket. Hopefully 2010s will be remembered the same way.
90s was awesome tbh. Also coincided with more widespread coverage of cricket from everywhere, which was great timing.

Probably had a greater concentration of great players than other times, but there’s probably more teams likely to turn each other over now than before. Bangers competitive at home now, India good everywhere, etc. pretty open era atm save for India who have been a cut above the past few years.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The 90s had 5 teams who had strong bowling attacks - the West Indies, Pakistan, South Africa, Australia and England (who didn't have ATG bowlers but had a strong bowling lineup nonetheless). It was only New Zealand, Sri Lanka and India who had weak attacks. And Murali was still pretty good during that time. Even Zimbabwe had Streak who was a fine bowler.

There were some top batsmen around too, but not quite as many as there were bowlers.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Fab 4 of batting Vs Fab 4 of fast bowling - take your pick. Who would you rather watch?

Kohli
Smith
Williamson
Root

Or

Bumrah
Cummins
Rabada
Archer
Would bet a fair amount that Archer and Root will be remembered as the worst of their respective quartets.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The 90s had 5 teams who had strong bowling attacks - the West Indies, Pakistan, South Africa, Australia and England (who didn't have ATG bowlers but had a strong bowling lineup nonetheless). It was only New Zealand, Sri Lanka and India who had weak attacks. And Murali was still pretty good during that time. Even Zimbabwe had Streak who was a fine bowler.

There were some top batsmen around too, but not quite as many as there were bowlers.

TBF, all 3 of those teams were very good bowling attacks at home at that time. So there were a lot of competitive games.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
90s was awesome tbh. Also coincided with more widespread coverage of cricket from everywhere, which was great timing.

Probably had a greater concentration of great players than other times, but there’s probably more teams likely to turn each other over now than before. Bangers competitive at home now, India good everywhere, etc. pretty open era atm save for India who have been a cut above the past few years.

yeah, not having a side run through others is always good for the game but I do wonder if the emergence of Aus as the clear cut best in the world (before they went on to become one of the greatest ever) helped with how we remember the 90s too. I felt the Aussie domination really started once Gilchrist debuted and played that knock against Pak.

That 1999 series against Pak should have been so much better in terms of being a contest than it ended up being. :( That Pak side was frankly brimming with talent and ability.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The bowlers by a whisker, mainly because of Bumrah

For me, it will be the batsmen. I felt lucky to have watched Lara and Sachin at their primes at the same time. Now to have 4 is just unreal. Do feel bad that none of them are left handers though. Sometimes I think I just rate Lara higher simply because he is a left hander and much more awesome to watch.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The only thing missing are awesome left hand batsmen and bowlers. I mean I know Warner is around and there are blokes like Hetmeyer and Kusal Perera who are promising, but we are really lacking that amazing left handed batsman, this generation.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Would bet a fair amount that Archer and Root will be remembered as the worst of their respective quartets.
I'm not even sure Root should be a part of the 'fab 4'. To me, he's not particularly better than someone like Pujara although I do suppose he is RIDICULOUSLY consistent for middling scores.