• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not even the largest in Cricket Chat -

***Official*** India in Australia 2011/12 ,
***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes) ,
***Official*** Australia in India 2017 ,
New Cricket Trivia - 'SJS format'

are all larger, Ashes is 2005 ftr.
I followed the Ashes 2005 thread as a lurker. Was posting on the channel 4 forums at the time though.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
So someone mentioned before about Ponting opening, I don’t remember if it was about ODIs or Tests but the thought intrigued me. Its sort of like the inverse of England, in that we have far more quality middle order batsmen competing for slots than openers. For example in my England XI atm, I’d have Hobbs, Sutcliffe and Hutton all playing as the top 3. What do you guys think about bumping up Ponting (or another batsman) to one of the opening slots in an Australian XI?

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Maybe someone who came in 1 for not many a little more often than Ponting could be pushed to opener. Hayden and Langer were so successful he wasn't 'basically an opener' like say KW at the moment with Raval doing so poorly

Maybe Chappell?

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ponting averaged over 60 in situations when he came in at 1 for **** all IIRC. I think I read that stat in an article about him being the player of the noughties. Can't be bothered to dig it up.

Logan

U19 Captain
1. Sachin
2. Lara
3. Ponting
4. Kallis
5. Sanga

Is this the general consensus on players who played from 1990-2010?

Slifer

International Captain
Correct me if I am wrong but I have read that Chappell avoided certain tours as a captain. I just briefly checked and he didn't play in 77/78 tour to WI or 79/80 tour to India for example. Now I don't know if there was any valid reason that he missed out but if it was done on purpose then it definitely counts against him..
WSC . WI players also missed a tour to India around the same time for the very same reason. Then sunil made merry vs a very under strength 2nd attack.

sunilz

International Regular
WSC . WI players also missed a tour to India around the same time for the very same reason. Then sunil made merry vs a very under strength 2nd attack.
Wish Richards also knew how to how make merry against weak attacks . He averaged 45 in India despite playing the worst Indian attack of last 50 years in 80s (9 to 10 test )

Slifer

International Captain
Wish Richards also knew how to how make merry against weak attacks . He averaged 45 in India despite playing the worst Indian attack of last 50 years in 80s (9 to 10 test )
Tbh I was very much trolling with that comment and sure enough you took my bait. It's all good and well you dishing it out with your comments about Lara and Sir Viv but the minute someone mentions one of your indian gods you lose your schitt. Relax dude it's a that serious.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I really don't see why it has to be one or the other. For a lot of my friends here in INdia, Windies are their next favorite team. They are all big fans of blokes like Lara, Gayle and for the older ones, Richards and the golden generation. For me, I am just so happy that I spent my about 20 years of my life watching both Sachin and Lara through their careers. I never thought we would see greatness like that again and yet here we are, with the Fab 4 and especially Virat and Steve Smith..

Not to mention, Marnus and Mayank.. :wub:

sunilz

International Regular
Tbh I was very much trolling with that comment and sure enough you took my bait. It's all good and well you dishing it out with your comments about Lara and Sir Viv but the minute someone mentions one of your indian gods you lose your schitt. Relax dude it's a that serious.
Indian gods 8-) I don't take cricket too seriously to consider these players as my god. You can write whatever you want to write about them . I have no problem.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
The last couple pages have been ridiculous.

Len Hutton
Jack Hobbs
Donald Bradman
Steve Smith
Garry Sobers
Jacques Kallis
Adam Gilchrist
Richard Hadlee
Malcolm Marshall
Dale Steyn
Muttiah Muralitharan

What do you guys think?

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The last couple pages have been ridiculous.

Len Hutton
Jack Hobbs
Donald Bradman
Steve Smith
Garry Sobers
Jacques Kallis
Adam Gilchrist
Richard Hadlee
Malcolm Marshall
Dale Steyn
Muttiah Muralitharan

What do you guys think?
Hey, play along with my attempt to restore normalcy first

_00_deathscar

International Regular
For me,

Sachin
Ponting
Lara

Sanga
Waugh sr
Dravid
Kallis
Whoa whoa whoa no way is Steve Waugh in that second tier of players.

Sachin

Waugh
Lara

(small margin)

Ponting
(very small margin)
Sanga
Kallis
Dravid

Case for Ponting to be in the first tier to be honest - his peak certainly demands it, but he made merry in the 2000s (as did many of the second tier) which was notoriously more batting friendly (and Sachin, who was still around then, was a very different batsman by that point and nowhere near his 90s best).

Lara was the best on his day. Ponting the best peak maybe (certainly raw numbers wise). Sachin the most consistent throughout and could (and did) play a number of different roles (more attacking in the 90s, more of an accumulator in the 00s), Waugh the most gritty.

Last edited:

ataraxia

International Coach
Tendulkar
Kallis
(small gap)
Lara
Ponting

(gap)

Sanga
S Waugh
(small gap)