• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Logan

U19 Captain
Ponting wasn't as good as Lara against spin bowling .
However Ponting was better than Lara against pure pace bowling ( 140 and above speed )
Brian Lara never scored a single century against Allan Donald either. Donald was the best bowler Lara faced in the 90s and he performed badly against him.

Overall I would say Sachin was the best of the three.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Start a new thread with instructions that ODI will be discussed there only . No need to separate this thread imo.

I would agree with this. No need to dig through all posts. You guys volunteer as mods. No reason to put yourself through work that won't really be all that value adding anyways.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Umesh's asia record is helped by him being part of a very good bowling attack and also not being tested enough in other asian countries. On the other hand,when Kapil toured Pakistan, he had to bowl to the likes of Abbas and Miandad on those pitches. Being the only quality bowler in the team, he was bowled to ground on most occasions. He was pretty quick at the beginning of his career but a combination of injuries and preference to longevity, he cut short his pace. There is no comparison between him and Umesh who mostly had to bowl only 10-15 overs an innings and never carried the bowling attack on his shoulders even for a year.

Logan

U19 Captain
Kapil Dev played for a weak team and bowled in dust bowls with nobodies for support.

An average of 26 with a SR of 55 in Indian pitches is a great achievement. That is better than James Anderson’s overall average and SR.

If Kapil Dev bowled with good support and a captain backing him, he would have done much better.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
You can close this thread and start 2 new ones for each format.
That would suit my undiagnosed and possibly non-existent OCD better than having a "Tests only" thread that also had posts about ODIs for its first 13,000 posts.

Threads that are correctly named originally and then re-named later so suit new posts and not old posts have always been a bit a bug bear of mine. Few things worse IMO than opening a thread called "Somethingsomething 2019" and the first post was made in 2013 about something that happened in 2012.

Last edited:

sunilz

International Regular
Brian Lara never scored a single century against Allan Donald either. Donald was the best bowler Lara faced in the 90s and he performed badly against him.

Overall I would say Sachin was the best of the three.
Also let's not forget the only time Lara faced Akhtar he got injured. He was also hit by Donald in SA tour . I think he was the worst of the 3 against pure pace. Sorry Lara fans :ph34r:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_sTsZsDNhs

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
I am all for continuing with this epic and entertaining thread. The length and frequency of posting in this thread helps many(including me admittedly) to get away with ban worthy posting as it is difficult for mods to monitor everything.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You would have seen both of them play at their peak. When I started watching cricket, Kapil was almost retiring and I was too young to assess Kapil at that time. From what you have seen, do you really say Umesh the bowler is better than Kapil the bowler?
I’m a massive nostrils fan but I remember Kapil even in 91/92 terrorising our blokes with perfect outswingers over here despite India getting well beaten. Same in the drawn series in 85/86. Obviously not as quick as Yadav but from what I saw a far more complete bowler.

Not doubting what Sunilz is saying about Yadav in Indian conditions though, blokes a handful. But definitely think Kapil a better bowler in all conditions

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
No need to close the thread, just open a new one for odi's.

Lots of nostalgia and reference points in here.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Is this the biggest thread on the site?
Not even the largest in Cricket Chat -

***Official*** India in Australia 2011/12 ,
***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes) ,
***Official*** Australia in India 2017 ,
New Cricket Trivia - 'SJS format'

are all larger, Ashes is 2005 ftr.