• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
All 4 of the 80s allrounders have quite unique and fascinating aspects of their career.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
All 4 of the 80s allrounders have quite unique and fascinating aspects of their career.
Potentially GOAT pacer, master of reverse swing who reinvented himself as a batsman, an uphill skier and a fat tub of lard who bashed minnows :ph34r:

Slifer

International Captain
European descent XI:

Hobbs - ENG
Grace* - ENG/6
Bradman - AUS
Smith - AUS
Pollock/Kallis/Trumper - SA/SA/AUS
Hammond - ENG/5
Gilchrist + AUS
Hadlee - NZ/1
Warne - AUS/4
Barnes - ENG/2
McGrath - AUS/3

O'Reilly - AUS/12th

Non-European:

Gavaskar - IND
Dravid - IND
Headley - WI
Tendulkar - IND
Richards - WI
Sobers - WI/5
Walcott + WI
Imran - PAK/1
Wasim - PAK/3
Marshall - WI/2
Murathaliran - SL/4

Ashwin - IND/12th

Two XIs, one dominated by Australia and the other by the West Indies.

W. G. Grace is an unusual pick around here for ATG XIs, so here is my reasoning for picking him: His first-class batting average is 39.5, and first-class bowling average 18. He's someone who would nowadays average 31-32 with the ball (the Kallis/Hammond type). If his batting average extrapolates the same way to what was done to his bowling average then it becomes 69. Even with a bit of leeway, that is an incredible average, thus why I pick him over Hutton, Richards and Sutcliffe regularly.

I can't really decide between Graeme Pollock and Jacques Kallis with the bat (Kallis' bowling is unneeded IMO), and add Victor Trumper's huge average at 5 to the equation and I'm really unsure. Dravid had to be picked, I can't really let Hanif or Sehwag play around at this level. Second choice for that position is Frank Worrell. :)

Walcott is my personal choice for keeper, beating out Sangakkara for his batting average as keeper. I don't consider the other options good enough. Feels weird having only one West Indian bowler in this lineup but aside from Marshall no WI bowler is in the top tier of 8.
No other west Indian is in the top 8?? Ever heard of Curtly Curtly Ambrose ?? Imo I'd only rank Hadlee, Marshall, McGrath and maybe Steyn above him (Imran as well).

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Oof, forgot about Sean Ervine. Definitely worth a shout. On that note, Sean Williams isn't a million miles away from making the team either imo.
Hmm maybe not a million miles, but not so close. He is a better ODI player but thats a tougher XI to get into tbf.

ataraxia

International Coach
Yeah, you can have Akram in the team over Ambrose. But you said Ambrose is not in the top tier of 8. That is definitely an oversight.
At that time I was thinking of (in no particular order) Barnes, Hadlee, Marshall, Imran, McGrath, Akram, Warne, and Mura. I get Akram being swapped out for Ambrose now; didn't realise his average was so high in a strong era of batting.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Marshall, McGrath, Murali, Warne, Barnes, Hadlee, Imran, Steyn..

Cant think of any others tbh
Marshall, McGrath, Steyn, Warne, Hadlee, Muralitharan, Ambrose, Trueman, Barnes, O'Reilly.

Off the top of my head, my top 10. Donald, Lillee and possibly Akram could also factor in, not that many more.

Last edited:

Slifer

International Captain
O'Reilly, Lillee, Trueman, Akram, Donald have arguments
We're talking about a non European XI therefore only the likes of akram, imran, waqar, murali etc are in contention. Only really Marshall, imran and Murali could be rated above Ambrose. And if we're going up against a European XI unless I'm mistaken Ambrose has a better record vs SENA teams than akram.

Slifer

International Captain
Just so we're clear, there can also be an argument made that Amby is above the very same group of bowlers.

Chrish

International Debutant
How similar or different was Ambrose to Mcgrath? Was he able to seam it both ways? I only caught tail-end of his career and didn't watch him at his peak. One thing I do know is poms and aussies were scared ****less of him.