• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
4th innings stats are only useless where you use them with no context and cite player A was better because he averaged 67 in the 4th innings (while conveniently forgetting the majority of those came when the match was already dead)

However, the 4th innings knocks which come when the game is still alive going into the final day and which give your team a chance to win/draw are probably the most difficult and under-pressure runs anyone can get.
Do you think Smith would be a better player if he made a higher proportion of his runs in the 4th innings then? Which would mean he would make less runs in the 1st & 2nd innings assuming his overall stats stayed the same.

sunilz

International Regular
Lol Warne won it twice... god you’re a fool
And Smith 0 . Which means if Kohli retires today , he is already ATG because of his dominance in all the 3 formats . And if Smith retires, he won't be because he is an average cricketer in other 2 formats.

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Amazing how many people missed Sunilz's point. He was clearly not saying Smith not having 4th innings century makes him a lesser batsman (not at least in the initial post, after that it became hard to follow). He was only saying that you shouldn't **** on a 4th innings hundred because no matter how good you are -- even if you are Smith -- they are hard to come by. Everyone went ultra defensive about Smith rather than addressing the point. Typical Aussie touchiness.

morgieb

Amazing how many people missed Sunilz's point. He was clearly not saying Smith not having 4th innings century makes him a lesser batsman (not at least in the initial post, after that it became hard to follow). He was only saying that you shouldn't **** on a 4th innings hundred because no matter how good you are -- even if you are Smith -- they are hard to come by. Everyone went ultra defensive rather than addressing the point. Typical Aussie touchiness.
Yeah that point is fine, what came after it is a problem though.

TheJediBrah

Amazing how many people missed Sunilz's point. He was clearly not saying Smith not having 4th innings century makes him a lesser batsman (not at least in the initial post, after that it became hard to follow). He was only saying that you shouldn't **** on a 4th innings hundred because no matter how good you are -- even if you are Smith -- they are hard to come by. Everyone went ultra defensive about Smith rather than addressing the point. Typical Aussie touchiness.
No one missed his point he just ruined it by raving on about random irrelevant **** for the next 2 pages

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, so what was so hard to understand that point and respond to that? **** just hit the ceiling after that. Sunilz of course was being sunilz and giving it back.

sunilz

International Regular
And that became a problem because AUS fans soon got ultra defensive and said runs scored in 2nd innings don't matter, AUS always produces flat tracks for IND, Kohli is closer to Mark Waugh as test batsman .

morgieb

Yeah, so what was so hard to understand that point and respond to that? **** just hit the ceiling after that. Sunilz of course was being sunilz and giving it back.
I mostly didn't see it in fairness. Sounded more like he was arguing Smith was an inferior batsman to Kohli because of his fourth innings record without any context.

OverratedSanity

They get all pissy at him, respond with snarky condescension and then are surprised when he dishes it back. Typical.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
My only point about the pitches was that 14/15 pitches were unusually flat across the country, which made Smith and Kohli's efforts in that series not quite as impressive as Smith's efforts in India 2017, the Ashes 2017/18 and this Ashes.

I was actually talking down Smith if anything.

TheJediBrah

I ****ing did respond to that but by the time I had the chance sunilz had managed to post half a dozen crazy ass bull*** comments that varied from vaguely related to completely irrelevant so not surprising that you missed it completely

See the very next post by Stephen. God, how can you be so touchy about someone as good as Smith.
you know I'm not stephen right?

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
My only point about the pitches was that 14/15 pitches were unusually flat across the country, which made Smith and Kohli's efforts in that series not quite as impressive as Smith's efforts in India 2017, the Ashes 2017/18 and this Ashes.

I was actually talking down Smith if anything.
No, your point was ... I don't know... see yourself:

I'm really not sure what your point is?

Is it that he still has areas of his game to work on?

Is it that he tends to make enough runs in the first innings so his side doesn't need him to ton up in the 4th innings?

Is it that he's a first innings bully?

All of these are true btw. Still doesn't stop him from averaging nearly 65.

sunilz

International Regular