• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Bolo

State Captain
https://www.google.co.za/amp/s/www....the-1970s-had-been-official-tests-194978/amp/

Here is an interesting article on the effects on the records of players that WSC (and the overlooked ROW series at the start of the decade) games would have on player records.

Counting all games as tests, Barry ends up with an average of 64, Pollock 54 (2 mediocre series) and Procter 17/33.

Chappell and Lillee clean up. Lillee has over 450 wickets at basically the same average, and Chappell has close to 10000 runs at 56

Sunny sees his record take a knock ending with an average of 48.

RSA then played rebel tours in the 80s. These shouldn't really be counted as the visitors were probably closer to the packer depleted strength than the WSC sides, but if they are added:

Barry played a handful and did badly. His average falls well below 60. He had admittedly come out of retirement to play, which never works out well. He still ends with too few games to properly assess his career anyway.

Pollock played a number and did well. He ends up with an average of nearly 60 over a a substantial number of games. He was in his mid 40s when he played his last rebel game, so even against weak sides this is impressive. He was also by far the best bat of the tours.

Last edited:

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't see why the super tests aren't included in official test statistics - or at least first class statistics. Now that all of the people who were butt hurt by Packer are no longer around there can't be any harm in it.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't see why the super tests aren't included in official test statistics - or at least first class statistics. Now that all of the people who were butt hurt by Packer are no longer around there can't be any harm in it.
Have long agreed with this sentiment. Give them FC status at least.

Bolo

State Captain
FC status wouldn't mean much. It's the best nations (or better in the case of world xi) playing at the highest level. All or nothing.

I guess you don't really want to go around fiddling with stats retroactively. It's an inconvenience and would upset some people by destroying records-status quo.

Like Pollock. Sat for decades as the best after Bradman. Wouldn't be happy to lose it.

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
Barry Richards' average drops big time from 72 to 64. It is quite obvious that numbers will be unstable until 40 tests or so. Best to ignore as always.

Dennis Lillee and Sunil Gavaskar's numbers come down a notch. Viv Richards' goes up a little. Not far from the numbers they touched at different points in their long careers. All within their quality range.

Graeme Pollock's average becomes more normal after 30 tests, which looks logical. He might have finished at 50-52 if he had played 70 plus tests.

Greg Chappell's peak years coincide with the WSC phase, so his average goes up handsomely. He is an all-time great whether his average is 53 or 55.

Imran and Botham pretty much hold on to their overall career records. True champs, one must repeat.

Basically useless exercise. Nothing revealing.

Leave rebel cricket where it belongs, in the first class block.

Test cricket is played between nations.

Last edited:

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The 2005 tests were a farce. No one on ROW gave a crap.

The ones in the early 70s were however marketed as tests, given test status at the time and played with the intensity.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Barry Richards was truly brilliant. Came here to Adelaide for a year, and absolutely dominated in the shield. Excellent cricketer.

akilana

International 12th Man
Barry Richards' average drops big time from 72 to 64. It is quite obvious that numbers will be unstable until 40 tests or so. Best to ignore as always.

Dennis Lillee and Sunil Gavaskar's numbers come down a notch. Viv Richards' goes up a little. Not far from the numbers they touched at different points in their long careers. All within their quality range.

Graeme Pollock's average becomes more normal after 30 tests, which looks logical. He might have finished at 50-52 if he had played 70 plus tests.

Greg Chappell's peak years coincide with the WSC phase, so his average goes up handsomely. He is an all-time great whether his average is 53 or 55.

Imran and Botham pretty much hold on to their overall career records. True champs, one must repeat.

Basically useless exercise. Nothing revealing.

Leave rebel cricket where it belongs, in the first class block.

Test cricket is played between nations.
Guess Barry and Pollock would have taken it more seriously if they were playing for their country instead of random XIs.

SillyCowCorner1

I don't recall any such incident. Maybe he did.

What has that to do with his keeping though? It was very good. You probably never had the chance to see him keep. He was exceptional as I said
I will take your word for it that he was an exceptional keeper.

I know him only for that instance of cheating.

trundler

Guess Barry and Pollock would have taken it more seriously if they were playing for their country instead of random XIs.
I mean, seeing as it was a once in a lifetime shot at international cricket one more time they would've surely given it their all.

bagapath

International Captain
equally possible that bowlers playing for their countries would have given their all and ****ed barry and graeme over