• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The 2000 years

pasag

RTDAS
There are two types of great "great" As in very good As like many old players and "All time great" Hoggard is great not all time great I'm sure he will be rememberd as great but not "legend great". I will remember him as great but not all time great.
Granted, but he's still not great.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Me to actually, he has been good in domestic cricket overall and impressed in the few ODI games he has played. However I don't like seeing him in the side at such a young age, I think it would be far better for his development as a bowler if he continued to work away in domestic cricket instead of learning his trade in international cricket.
Yep. Was gonna say "India usually produce a spinner of some note most of the time" (in fact, that's something I've been meaning to ask SJS or Anil about for ages... was there much in between the end of the famous quartet in the late '70s and the emergence of Kumble in 1990?) too, and Chawla looks a pretty good bet for the next one after Kumble.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Yeah Rob summed it up pretty well. Hoggard will be looked back on as a great bowler, but not a great, simple enough.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
KP & Asif are the obvious candidates for greatness in my estimation, with Mrs Pietersen's little boy obviously being infinitely more of a showman, but I'm a little suprised Monty hasn't at least been mentioned. I think genuine greatness may just be beyond him, but he is box office & I think he'll prove himself to be our best spinner since Deadly*.

*Insert your own "that's like being Saudi Arabia's leading downhill skier" joke if you wish.

Flem274*

123/5
Shane Bond? debut 2001 IIRC

Damn injuries.....:@

OK I'll stop the Bond loving now.

Malinga looks to be very good, i don't like Tait's chances though. He lacks accuracy and that leads on to a lack of consistency which is a must for a great. (This isn't me trying to be a Aus hater BTW I'm just being logical)

Tom Halsey

International Coach
???????????

We are talking about Mohammad Asif aren't we? He's quite clearly got just about every wicket-taking skill a bowler could desire IMO. Including both conventional and reverse-swing (though unlike the Wasims and Waqars his reverse-swing isn't likely to get him remembered too much because it's not the most obvious trait of his bowling).
Have to say, I've never seen him swing it either. Prodigious seam, yes but not any swing that I've seen.

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
This may seem as a surprise but I think Eoin Morgan could be a damn fine player in a few years time.
he's very talented but his high backlift has got him into a trouble a few times for middlesex, needs working on. billy godleman though puts eoin in the shade at middlesex.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
When Pakistan were playing SA in the one dayers quite recently he was swinging it a mile.
Yeah apologies he did swing it under lights at Durban but Kingsmead at night is very different beast to Asif’s performance in the other ODI's, where he seamed it yards but not much in the way of conventional swing.

James

Cricket Web Owner
KP & Asif are the obvious candidates for greatness in my estimation, with Mrs Pietersen's little boy obviously being infinitely more of a showman, but I'm a little suprised Monty hasn't at least been mentioned. I think genuine greatness may just be beyond him, but he is box office & I think he'll prove himself to be our best spinner since Deadly*.

*Insert your own "that's like being Saudi Arabia's leading downhill skier" joke if you wish.
Is Monty really alongside Vettori to that degree? They're both superb players for their country, but when you put them up against the best spin bowlers of all time, they don't get close.

At least in Vettori's guess I think it does, but I suppose Monty having just started out, could well turn into a great with what he's shown so far.

Brings the question into play - what actually makes you a "great" player?

I've only seen Asif bowl a few times. Hopefully he doesn't run into the same injury problems as Shoaib has.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Give Monty time, he's only a year into his test carear and he's already ticked all the boxes so far including Australia. as Cricinfo's article earlier in the week showed the start to his test carear has been statistically up there with the very best.
He's a super-hard worker so his bowling is only gonna get better.

For a finger-spinner to become know as 'a great' in the modern game would take an awful lot, but with the impact he's had so far I dont think its completely out of Monty's reach.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
What has impressed me with Monty is that you can genuinely see improvement in him from when he first started. He obviously works hard at his game & his enjoyment is very palpable. He's only 25 too, a child in spinning terms, so there should still be further improvement yet.

I think India will be a real test of his progress as he had a fairly ordinary start to his test career over there (not terrible, but not fantastic either) and (no disrespect intended) they should be better players of SLA than the Windies.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Monty won't be great, it is too hard for a finger spinner to become a great in todays game and I don't think he has the ability to run through a side like Warne, Muralitharan, Kumble and even Harbhajan do and have shown in the past. I know he is young but I just don't think he is lethal enough to be considered a great.

Craig

World Traveller
Shane Bond? debut 2001 IIRC

Damn injuries.....:@

OK I'll stop the Bond loving now.

Malinga looks to be very good, i don't like Tait's chances though. He lacks accuracy and that leads on to a lack of consistency which is a must for a great. (This isn't me trying to be a Aus hater BTW I'm just being logical)
Well I was too slow to bring that one up. What i was going to say.