• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The “Fab” 3

How do you rank them?

• Total voters

PlayerComparisons

International Debutant
I don’t think anyone is saying KW is as good as Tendulkar and Lara. His away record is good enough to be as good as guys like Sanga Kallis and Ponting tho when you adjust for eras.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I swear I'm not doing this to hate, but the vast majority of Kane's big away runs have come on roads (like Australia 2015 and the recent Pakistan tour). Runs on flat tracks absolutely count ftr. But I don't think it's unfair to say Root and maybe even kohli (who's not as good as him) have had many more impressive innings overseas on tough decks.

His best performances have been the WTC final and that tour of uae that NZ won. He's not consistently batted like an ATG outside of that.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Ok go ahead, take away Kane's only hundred in India. Rude behaviour imo.
Hey I enjoy looking at his early career from the perspective of looking at an early career.

It's just unusually disproportionate on his overall stats cos the NZC sucks and drastically dialled back the number of Tests we play during our greatest ever period in Test history.

In comparing the modern greats its something worth noting because unlike England/India and Australia who eased Root/Kohli/Smith* into Test cricket. Williamson was even as a fairly average (at Test level) and occasionally promising youth, still far better than the Guptills/McIntoshs/Ingrams/Watlings/Hopkins we were trying out at 3 in that era.

Smith* obv had a sort of funny path, but didn't have to play much up the order for a while.

PlayerComparisons

International Debutant
Roots best performances have probably been at home as well tbh. Pretty well rounded record but not enough hundreds away because of his conversation rate problem (a bit like ABD). He’s probably my favorite to watch but feels like he’s kinda underachieved

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They’re all ****

KW - weak kolon and overseas record is trash
Root - racist and crap in aus
Kohli - annoying and had years of being a tailender
Smith - cheat

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Hey I enjoy looking at his early career from the perspective of looking at an early career.

It's just unusually disproportionate on his overall stats cos the NZC sucks and drastically dialled back the number of Tests we play during our greatest ever period in Test history.

In comparing the modern greats its something worth noting because unlike England/India and Australia who eased Root/Kohli/Smith* into Test cricket. Williamson was even as a fairly average (at Test level) and occasionally promising youth, still far better than the Guptills/McIntoshs/Ingrams/Watlings/Hopkins we were trying out at 3 in that era.

Smith* obv had a sort of funny path, but didn't have to play much up the order for a while.
How exactly was Root eased in? He debuted away to India, played away and home series against NZ and was then opening the batting in a home Ashes ffs before being shunted about in that ghastly away Ashes. He got dropped for the SCG then came back next home Test and went on to have a golden summer.

Athlai

Not Terrible
How exactly was Root eased in? He debuted away to India, played away and home series against NZ and was then opening the batting in a home Ashes ffs before being shunted about in that ghastly away Ashes. He got dropped for the SCG then came back next home Test and went on to have a golden summer.
Came into a team with a few more domestic seasons under his belt into a pretty quality lineup with Cook, Trott, Pietersen and Bell.

Opening during the Ashes is still a bit crazy though.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Came into a team with a few more domestic seasons under his belt into a pretty quality lineup with Cook, Trott, Pietersen and Bell.

Opening during the Ashes is still a bit crazy though.
Fair on the lineup, but Cook was a new captain, Pietersen was just being brought back (which only lasted a year anyway) and is there a harder place to debut than India away? Well actually there probably is for Joe Root who is unreal in Asia, but.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Fair on the lineup, but Cook was a new captain, Pietersen was just being brought back (which only lasted a year anyway) and is there a harder place to debut than India away? Well actually there probably is for Joe Root who is unreal in Asia, but.
I think the likes of Rachin is probably going to ease into Tests better than Kane. With how much better our batting structure is now than ever before. Though Stead is still being weird about it.

Haha Kane tonned up in India on debut actually. Did Smith debut in India? Pretty sure he did.

Presumably Kohli as well

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
I think those 3 are pretty close as of now, in fact I rank them back to back in my ATG rankings..... No matter how you spin it; Willy's away record against good teams is trash, Root had a rather slow start and the last two years of Kohli were abysmal (though he's on the rise right now). I find them rather tricky to rank as of now and I think only after all 3 retires, we can properly rank them.