• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

That time Shiv Chanderpaul hit a 4 and a 6 in the last 2 balls of an ODI

TestMatch

U19 Cricketer
Given WI's recent win, it's worth remembering the last time the Windies successfully chased down nine or more runs in the 50th over of an ODI. This was back in 2008 against Sri Lanka. West Indies won that game chasing down a target of 236, their highest ODI chase against Sri Lanka before recently.

When the 9th wicket fell, WI needed 17 runs from 7 balls with Chanderpaul as the only hope left. It ultimately came down to 10 runs needed from the last 2 balls. Vaas was bowling (his figures at the time were 9.4-4-20-0), and the pint-sized Chanderpaul pulled it off by smashing a four and a six to finish the match.

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
Given WI's recent win, it's worth remembering the last time the Windies successfully chased down nine or more runs in the 50th over of an ODI. This was back in 2008 against Sri Lanka. West Indies won that game chasing down a target of 236, their highest ODI chase against Sri Lanka before recently.

When the 9th wicket fell, WI needed 17 runs from 7 balls with Chanderpaul as the only hope left. It ultimately came down to 10 runs needed from the last 2 balls. Vaas was bowling (his figures at the time were 9.4-4-20-0), and the pint-sized Chanderpaul pulled it off by smashing a four and a six to finish the match.

Woah, this is surprising to me.

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
Also, I wonder if SL's bowling will ever be like how it was when the team had guys like Murali, Vaas, etc. Even the second string bowlers at the time were not that bad.

The musical chairs with team selection is a major issue I guess. And I've always believed that a top-quality bowling line-up is more important and SL still has the potential to produce it. A team can do with average(but not bad) batting, but a weak bowling unit is a total disaster.

I have high hopes for Embuldeniya. Maheesh Theekshana also looks like a good prospect if he can fine-tune his line and length. There might be others, I surely don't follow SL domestic cricket as much as some of the other posters might, but the team was known for excellent bowling combinations and great captains, both things are missing right now.

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
Lance Klusener, Neil Johnson , Shaun Pollock.

Vaas could have been like Bumrah/Cummins/Archer but these are not MVP.
Vaas could bat too, if the formats were around earlier, he would have surely added a little more meat to his batting to contribute more. But I agree with what you are saying, he would have been more like Archer..

sunilz

International Regular
Wasn't Archer literally the MVP of the most recent IPL?
His batting also had a huge role to play in it, particularly strike rate considering he took 10 wkts less than Rabada.

What I meant was a proper allrounder like Pollock, Klusener had more chance to be MVP than a bowler like Vaas

anil1405

International Captain
The guy (back to topic about Chanders) could smack the ball if he wished to. His 150 against South Africa in an ODI in 1999 was scintillating.