• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Test XI for The Last Quarter Century

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not really where the thread was heading, but here's a bunch of teams featuring some of my favourite players from the past 25 years.

'STRAYA

1 Simon Katich
2 Mark Taylor*
3 David Boon
4 Damien Martyn
5 Brad Hodge
6 Michael Bevan
7 Adam Gilchrist+
8 Shane Warne
9 Jason Gillespie
10 Damien Fleming
11 Peter Siddle

12 Ian Harvey

POMMIELAND

1 Nick Knight
2 Marcus Trescothick
3 Alec Stewart
4 Kevin Pietersen
5 Nasser Hussain*
6 Andrew Flintoff
7 Craig White
8 Jack Russell+
9 Phil DeFreitas
10 Darren Gough
11 Phil Tufnell

12 Tim Bresnan

#PRESSURE XI

1 Virender Sehwag
2 Sachin Tendulkar
3 Rahul Dravid
4 Virat Kohli
5 VVS Laxman
6 Sourav Ganguly*
7 MS Dhoni+
8 Ajit Agarkar
9 Anil Kumble
10 Javagal Srinath
11 Harbhajan Singh

12th Ajinkya Rahane

UNZUD

1 Nathan Astle
2 Stephen Fleming*
3 Ross Taylor
4 Craig McMillan
5 Jesse Ryder
6 Brendon McCullum+
7 Chris Cairns
8 Chris Harris
9 Daniel Vettori
10 Dipak Patel
11 Shane Bond

12 Jacob Oram

GREEN DRAGONS

1 Saeed Anwar
2 Aamer Sohail
3 Inzamam-ul-haq
4 Mohammad Yousuf
5 Misbah-ul-haq*
6 Shahid Afridi
7 Moin Khan+
8 Wasim Akram
9 Saqlain Mushtaq
10 Shoaib Akhtar
11 Waqar Younis

12 Wahab Riaz

SAFFAS

1 Graeme Smith*
2 Herschelle Gibbs
3 Hansie Cronje
4 AB de Villiers
5 Jonty Rhodes
6 Brian McMillan
7 Lance Klusener
8 Mark Boucher+
9 Pat Symcox
10 Dale Steyn
11 Allan Donald

12 Fanie De Villiers

LITTLE LANKANS

1 Sanath Jayasuriya
2 Tillakaratne Dilshan
3 Kumar Sangakkara
4 Aravinda de Silva
5 Mahela Jayawardene
6 Arjuna Ranatunga
7 Romesh Kaluwitharana+
8 Chaminda Vaas
9 Rangana Herath (His Roundness)
10 Muttiah Muralitharan
11 Indika Gallage

12 Avishka Gunawardene

WINDIES

1 Chris Gayle
2 Ramnaresh Sarwan
3 Brian Lara
4 Shiv Chanderpaul
5 Jimmy Adams*
6 Carl Hooper
7 Dinesh Ramdin+
8 Roger Harper
9 Ian Bishop
10 Curtly Ambrose
11 Courtney Walsh

12 Fidel Edwards

REST OF THE WORLD

1 Brendan Taylor
2 Grant Flower
3 Murray Goodwin
4 Andy Flower+
5 Steve Tikolo
6 Shakib Al Hasan
7 Heath Streak*
8 Andy Blignaut
9 Eddo Brandes
10 Mashrafe Mortaza
11 Rashid Khan

12 Trent Johnston
Stopped reading at Australia without Ponting, sorry

trundler

Underrated Test XI from the Last 25 years

Justin Langer
Gary Kirsten
Mahela Jayawardene *
Andy Flower +
Graham Thorpe
Shiv Chanderpal
Shaun Pollock
Ryan Harris
Saqlain Mushtaq
Shane Bond
Courtney Walsh

IMO, this is good enough to compete against any ATG XI including the one featuring Bradman and Sobers
Guys like Shiv, Pollock and Walsh are terribly underrated by the general cricketing fanbase, maybe less so by us but we're hardly a large sample size. I like the XI bagapath, except for Mahela. He was just useless. Average drops to the high 30s once you take out just SL and Bangladesh. Does Dravid count?

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Guys like Shiv, Pollock and Walsh are terribly underrated by the general cricketing fanbase, maybe less so by us but we're hardly a large sample size. I like the XI bagapath, except for Mahela. He was just useless. Average drops to the high 30s once you take out just SL and Bangladesh. Does Dravid count?
Dravid doesn't count.

trundler

Younis Khan, maybe? Kevin PIetersen is a reverse Shiv. Overrated by most people, not rated that highly here.

Daemon

Yeah Younis counts imo. **** it would've been great to see him against India in 2015 or so.

Borges

International Regular
Guys like Shiv, Pollock and Walsh are terribly underrated by the general cricketing fanbase, maybe less so by us but we're hardly a large sample size.
When very young, children tend to believe that their parents are the two greatest people in the universe..
All fans are like young children, in their belief in the absolute superiority of their favourite players.
The only difference being that children, when they become older also become wiser.

Going by the posts in this forum, we are clearly worse than the average collection of cricket fans:
the less well bred among us resort to serial personal abuse when their fond beliefs are questioned.

Last edited:

Mr Miyagi

Banned
When very young, children tend to believe that their parents are the two greatest people in the universe..
All fans are like young children, in their belief in the absolute superiority of their favourite players.
The only difference being that children, when they become older also become wiser.

Going by the posts in this forum, we are clearly worse than the average collection of cricket fans:
the less well bred among us resort to serial personal abuse when their fond beliefs are questioned.

Sometimes, as children we criticise those who are truly great unfairly, and if playig for our favourite team do not truly appreciate them until they are gone.

Sometimes this is fair. Sometimes it is overstated.

As for personal abuse over fond beliefs over players - well I aint got time for that myself.

Last edited:

trundler

That's not what I meant. I only meant CW represents a microscopic portion of cricket fans. The consensus seems to be that Marshall was the greatest quick ever here whilst outside CW I bet more people would vouch for Akram. Now, I have found most people reasonable here and only some resort to personal abuse which is uncalled for. The child looking up the parent analogy is very apt. That's how I revered McGrath. The fast bowler I wanted to be. The guy who conquered the world not being express. I wanted to be him. It is only after forming an opinion based on emotion do we seek to justify it with stats and facts.
And on Younis, he flew under the radar for a large part of his career like Shiv. It was like "**** he's got 10,000 runs and 30 tons!Wow!" He's highly underrated and his 4th innings average is indeed great.

trundler

Maybe Laxman can come in if YK is ineligible.

If all the players are at their absolute best than this team is very formidable. Langer was better than Hayden when he got going. Pollock was basically McGrath with a slightly worse strike rate for 78 tests. Flower is an ATG batsman by all standards, without even considering that he was Zimbabwe's only decent bat. An honourable mention here would be Brendan Taylor. Not as good obviously but I feel he's very good and never gets noticed.

trundler

Streak deserves a mention too. The only guy looking out of place there is Saqlain. He wasn't good enough in tests.

Daemon

Laxman is overrated if anything. Played some great innings and is known for dominating Australia (but averaged a smidge under 50 against them). I'd put him in a category that's below someone like KP.

Jack1

International Debutant
Laxman batted 5 and 6 most of his test career and only averaged 45.97. That is not good enough for a 3rd XI team team of last 25 years. His ODI stats are pretty hopeless. 30 average 71 sr

Last edited:

Engle

State Vice-Captain
I've always felt that the most underrated cricketer is Chaminda Vaas ( 355 wkts @ 29 and 3000+ runs @ 24+) in Tests deserves some attention

trundler

Vaas so underrated we left him out from our underrated XI. He was a decent bowler. Great in ODIs. Had Murali hogging all the limelight and taking all the fifers.

Burgey

Vaas really is under rated massively.

In the running for an under rated XI might be blokes like Steve Fleming as well. Was a very good player for NZ for a long time. Not an ATG but a consistently good performer who flies under the radar.

trundler

Yeah, we set such ridiculous high standards when we make an all time XI. Guys like him, Inzamam, Damien Martyn etc don't really come up when we make such an XI but they were all fantastic players. Maybe Martin can make it into the underrated XI too. **** we need a second underrated XI!