• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Test players who have singlehandedly carried their team..

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Jono said:
Definitely until recently regarding Tendulkar. Hell that goes for fans too. I remember watching matches at some family gatherings, and whenever Tendulkar would go out everyone would pretty much give up and leave. I'd be like the only one left watching the television. Clearly the team, and now fans have more faith in the rest of the side.
i remember...against pakistan in chennai when he played that classic knock(136 i think) in a losing cause, when he got out, i stopped watching even though there were only 16 runs to get and 4 wickets left....i was that sure that the rest were not upto it...and unfortunately i was proved right...he really carried the team in tests and one dayers especially in the mid to late 90s...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
tooextracool said:
and you didnt have confidence in dravid, azhar, ganguly, sidhu and the like?
What the hell is wrong with you? Seriously.

Where did I even say that I didn't have confidence in the Indian cricket team? I said many fans (casual/fickle watchers) would just watch and hope that Sachin scored, and if he didn't they give up all hope and leave... WHILST I was the only one left still watching the game.

Jesus Christ go buy a lollipop and stop trying to start pointless crap.

tooextracool

International Coach
Jono said:

Where did I even say that I didn't have confidence in the Indian cricket team? I said many fans (casual/fickle watchers) would just watch and hope that Sachin scored, and if he didn't they give up all hope and leave... WHILST I was the only one left still watching the game.

yes of course, brilliantly done with the evoking comparisons with lara and your confidence in the rest of the WI team then. its fairly obvious what you were insinuating, go ahead and deny it, at least in this way it will make you look less foolish.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
tooextracool said:
yes of course, brilliantly done with the evoking comparisons with lara and your confidence in the rest of the WI team then. its fairly obvious what you were insinuating, go ahead and deny it, at least in this way it will make you look less foolish.
Good God.

Psychologically, Tendulkar's wicket still hurts, both the Indian team and Indian fans. You'd be silly to deny that (oh wait...), but it hurts much less now than it did in prior times. That still does not = carrying a team singlehandedly, and it still does not = me having no faith in the other players. My comparison with Lara was on a psychological basis. If you'd took the time to look who I quoted, you'd see it was twctopcat who was talking about psychological effects on the team.

You can twist whatever I said as you like to try and ignite an argument, it seems thats all you get out of your days. You come on to this board hoping that someone says something or even gives the slightest idea that they believe something you don't, and then you pathetically pounce.

Well go ahead and continue doing what you do. Its quite sad.

tooextracool

International Coach
Jono said:
Good God.

Psychologically, Tendulkar's wicket still hurts, both the Indian team and Indian fans. You'd be silly to deny that (oh wait...), but it hurts much less now than it did in prior times. That still does not = carrying a team singlehandedly, and it still does not = me having no faith in the other players. My comparison with Lara was on a psychological basis. If you'd took the time to look who I quoted, you'd see it was twctopcat who was talking about psychological effects on the team.
so to look at the psychological effects on the team you decided to talk about how all the people in your family(or whoever it is you were watching with) reacted to tendulkar getting out. brilliant that and of course since none of the people who you watch actually give a **** about the WI, obviously when lara gets out no one would even care. if you actually watch most of the cricket games in the WI, and take a look at how the crowd reacts to lara's dismissal, you would realise how much faith they have in the rest of the team.

Jono said:
You can twist whatever I said as you like to try and ignite an argument, it seems thats all you get out of your days. You come on to this board hoping that someone says something or even gives the slightest idea that they believe something you don't, and then you pathetically pounce.
or rather i come on here prepared to rip apart someones argument, when he quite clearly has no clue as to what hes talking about. and without a healthy argument this forum wouldnt be anything, just so you know, you could have 500 people agreeing with each others opinions no matter how stupid, what good reading that would make.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
tooextracool said:
so to look at the psychological effects on the team you decided to talk about how all the people in your family(or whoever it is you were watching with) reacted to tendulkar getting out. brilliant that and of course since none of the people who you watch actually give a **** about the WI, obviously when lara gets out no one would even care. if you actually watch most of the cricket games in the WI, and take a look at how the crowd reacts to lara's dismissal, you would realise how much faith they have in the rest of the team.
You're an absolute disgrace. You truly are.

Read my post again. The poster I quoted was referring Lara and Tendulkar's wicket to psychologically effecting the team. I said definitely in the past Tendulkar's wicket heavily affected the team. Then I referred to the fans, using my family as anecdotal evidence. Problem? No. I then commented that today, the team is less psychologically damaged when Sachin's wicket falls and the fans (well from what I know) don't quite run away when Sachin is out.

I then commented (with a new mini-paragraph, implying no longer talking about India) that to me personally, Lara's wicket is also not as damaging as it used to be in the past with Sarwan, Chanderpaul and Gayle in the team (yes I realise Chanders has been there a long time), however at the current time Lara's wicket psychologically hurts more than Sachin's.

Now what on Earth is your problem with what I said?

And believe me your arguments are far from 'healthy'.

tooextracool

International Coach
Jono said:
You're an absolute disgrace. You truly are.

Read my post again. The poster I quoted was referring Lara and Tendulkar's wicket to psychologically effecting the team. I said definitely in the past Tendulkar's wicket heavily affected the team.
yes and then you barely even explained why it did affect the team and started using your family as evidence, whatever that was supposed to prove.
and if you do end up reading my post, you would see that ive quite clearly stated that what the fans think has no direct relation to how it affects the team.

Jono said:
Now what on Earth is your problem with what I said?.
there was no problem until you posted garbage like this :

i asked a simple question: whether or not you had confidence in some of the other players in the indian side, because from what you said it was quite clear that you were insinuating that people didnt have much confidence in the rest of the team.

Jono said:
And believe me your arguments are far from 'healthy'.
largely because people like you cant stay away from the insulting.

ReallyCrazy

Banned
hahaha TEC and Jono, why dont you both kiss and make up NOW? :p :D But it was fun reading.

In the 90s, WI also had guys like Richie Richardson and Carl Hooper along with Chanderpaul and Lara. So I'd say WI did not rely anymore on Lara than India did on Tendulkar in the batting side of the things. But the WI bowling attack was a 100 times better and even if the team made a bad score while batting, all was not lost for the WI. However, for India, the bowling sucked - the main bowlers were Srinath and Kumble and they could not be relied upon at all times. Hence, the team depended solely on batting and Tendulkar.

I remember an OD match I went to live at Sharjah with my dad. It was India vs. Pakistan and Pak made 250. While India chased, Tendulkar opened and I think he made 25 and India were going along nicely at 6 an over. As soon as he got out, the whole ground was hushed (literally) and me and my dad left coz we were sure thats the end for India. And it sure was. I went back home, watched the rest of the match on TV and at the presentations ceremony, Salim Malik (Pak captain) said, "We knew that if we got Sachin out, we have won 50% of the match." (his exact words)

Hit4Six

U19 Debutant
tooextracool said:
or rather i come on here prepared to rip apart someones argument, when he quite clearly has no clue as to what hes talking about. and without a healthy argument this forum wouldnt be anything, just so you know, you could have 500 people agreeing with each others opinions no matter how stupid, what good reading that would make.
even if ppl agreed with u ud argue??! lol

Langeveldt

Soutie
SJS said:
Tatenda Taibu
Thats a pretty bad call SJS.. Okay Taibu is the great young hope for Zimbabwe, but he isnt exactly world class, and he isnt really carrying the Zim team is he?

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
_Ed_ said:
Agree with those, and have to bring up the name of Tatenda Taibu from Zimbabwe, captain, keeper and scoring loads of runs, deserves some recognition.

and if they had another good keeper he would probably be first change bowler....

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
ReallyCrazy said:
tec, i think i proved why tendulkar carried the team more............
Even though the Windies had a considerably better bowling line up, both teams (Ind and the WI) were only winning at home. Doesn't that tell you that the Windies batting line up was more fragile? While it is true that Sachin bore the brunt of INdia's batting in ODIs, in tests at home, he got some good support. He did carry our batting away from home for those 5 years between 92 and 96, though. But, even with that, it is fairly obvious that Lara carried his team more. Richardson was not good since 93, Hooper was always an enigma, Chanderpaul had not matured at that time. Lara definitely carried the Windies batting from about 93 to atleast 2002.

dudeurfriend

School Boy/Girl Captain
Well you can choose between Tendulkar and Lara during the nineties...... Both were the backbone of their teams and both carried their team singlehandedly........

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I think Andy Flower carried his team more then Tendukar or Lara, maybe not to victory, but he socred such a large percentage of their runs.

What about Kapel Dev during the 80s????

dudeurfriend

School Boy/Girl Captain
chaminda_00 said:
I think Andy Flower carried his team more then Tendukar or Lara, maybe not to victory, but he socred such a large percentage of their runs.

What about Kapel Dev during the 80s????
Zim was carried by flower brohters agreed.... Kapil dev during the 80's too was the one who carried the team....
Agreed chaminda