• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Test Cricket Comes to Wales.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't neccessarily think there's anything wrong with it, but it'll certainly take a few years to get used to. And probably longer for those older than myself.
I too don't really think it's neccessary for Lord's to have 2 Tests any more. I'd give it the 2nd Test of the longer series - with Edgbaston 1st. And I certainly wouldn't tamper with the proven finish-at-TheOval strategem.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
The more people who get to see Test cricket in this country the better. Not to mention it will spread the wealth between more counties. But it does seem like a slap in the face to Durham and Hampshire, infact its a total farce.

DanielFullard

U19 Vice-Captain
"Farce" is a good word to use actually. I know you may think I am biased because I live here in the North East but it is nice to see that my opinion of this decision is shared by others. Riverside was fully ready to take that next step and had a bid only a fool could turn down…….well we are dealing with the ECB………and this decision to award to Cardiff is highly ludicrous.

Have they made any comments yet as to why they chose Cardiff? I can’t think of any rational reason why it deserves the nod over Durham

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
The efforts made by Durham CCC to develop the Riverside took many years of hard slog, and in becoming a test venue I felt that they had been justifiably rewarded - even though they got short-strawed by the ECB over the opponents (and hence the length and profile of the match) for their first two tests.

I applaud the decision to upgrade Sophia Gardens to full test status, but I can't help that they have been undeservedly 'fast-tracked' up the rankings, and this has in fact 'devalued' their test status.

Surely the logical thing would have been to have given a West Indies or India profile test match to Cardiff as a starter and then award the Ashes test to Durham?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
SpaceMonkey said:
The more people who get to see Test cricket in this country the better. Not to mention it will spread the wealth between more counties.
Wel... really with the Sky deal it's pittance.
Like losing a grand and finding 50p.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Wonderful news cricket is coming to wales, but here is the twist its leaving Old Trafforfd:dry:

Craig

World Traveller
Trent Bridge and OT not getting an Ashes Test is in deed a joke, well it would be have been if it was April 1.

I understand either one of OT or Trent Bridge missing out (or even Headingly as in 2005), but to get neither I can't understand.

They have three years, perhaps the Welsh better get started?! And you can't delay like they have at Wembley.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It'll be alright as long as they don't use Aussie builders ;)

Oh, and assuming they actually get planning permission!

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
It's quite remarkable to think that we're on-track for a India-and-Pakistan-like situation, rather than the time-honoured 6-ground Test format which is also used in Australia and mostly in South Africa.
Especially given Lord's will still presumably have 2 Tests a year, it'll mean there are many grounds who'll go a year or 2 without a Test.
We're on track for - before long - Lord's, Edgbaston, Trent Bridge, Headingley, The Oval, Old Trafford, Sophia Gardens, The Riverside and The Rose Bowl to be Test grounds.
Then grounds like The St.Lawrence and Nevill Road staging ODIs, too.
And whats wrong with that. Surely enabling more people to watch the game live is a good thing?

edit: I saw your post afterwards

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
They have three years, perhaps the Welsh better get started?! And you can't delay like they have at Wembley.
Better not employ Multiplex or any other Aussie firms then.

Spread the word - the Welsh delicacy laver bread is made from seaweed and oatmeal - it's not actually bread but a type of oatcake.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
Richard said:
Well... they played World Cup cricket in Holland...
precisly, we can have a ashes test!
ooh i'd love to see all the poms and ozzies being to stoned to even follow the game :laugh:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Kweek said:
precisly, we can have a ashes test!
ooh i'd love to see all the poms and ozzies being to stoned to even follow the game :laugh:
I did that joke about playing for the Hashes already, didn't I?

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
yeah you did ! :P
this year we'll have 4 ashes test, and the 5th deciding test will be called the Hashes as its venue is Amsterdam! :P
@ the videocon cup..there were quiet a lot people stoned too...and they were spending money like a mad man, and losing it to, mate of me managed to find(not steal! just find it under benches) 100 euro's in total!

DanielFullard

U19 Vice-Captain
Richard said:
Wel... really with the Sky deal it's pittance.
Like losing a grand and finding 50p.
Ha.

For a club like Durham we would benefit far more in financial terms from having the ashes here. You seem to be suggesting that Skys deal means that any money from hosting the ashes is relatively nothing......which is untrue. Skys deal is not that big and even though it provides an essential amount of money to the counties the actual hosting of a Ashes match would be of infinite more benefit to a club like Durham.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
GoT_SpIn said:
And whats wrong with that. Surely enabling more people to watch the game live is a good thing?

edit: I saw your post afterwards
Good...
I don't really know how I managed to make it look like it was a bad thing.