• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Test Champions

Jayro

U19 12th Man
It's an irony that now we have a national team which is champion of the world just because they do very well in a particular weather and pitch condition, to think of it -they haven't won a test in Australia, India, Pakistan , South Africa or Srilanka in last 32 years.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not sure what you mean here. NZ beat Pakistan in the UAE and won their most recent test in Sri Lanka by an innings. I’d also say all test nations at the moment are better off playing in home conditions than away. It has ever really been thus.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah, a final game has to happen somewhere and it was not like it was an unknown or anything. I am not sure NZ are the #1 test side in the world right now, but they are definitely the World Test Champions and they deserve it very very much, if that makes sense.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
For starters, the WTC champs should get at least 20 tests to test their skills against the best teams in the world.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, a final game has to happen somewhere and it was not like it was an unknown or anything. I am not sure NZ are the #1 test side in the world right now, but they are definitely the World Test Champions and they deserve it very very much, if that makes sense.
Yeah it’s like when India won the ‘83 WC. They were definitely not the best ODI side in the world.

This NZ team has a great case for being labelled the best team in the world though tbf. I’d give it to India still but there’s arguments both ways.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah it’s like when India won the ‘83 WC. They were definitely not the best ODI side in the world.

This NZ team has a great case for being labelled the best team in the world though tbf. I’d give it to India still but there’s arguments both ways.
Yeah and its totally fine to have world champions who were not the undisputed best. I am not even convinced the 2011 India was the best ODI side in the world at that time. :)

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
It's an irony that now we have a national team which is champion of the world just because they do very well in a particular weather and pitch condition, to think of it -they haven't won a test in Australia, India, Pakistan , South Africa or Srilanka in last 32 years.
Waaaaaaaaaahhh.

Flem274*

123/5
tl;dr - KJ discovery biggest slice of luck in WTC.

Wah thread probably isn't the place to post seriously but India should smash us pretty hard in a few months, cancelling out their tour here.

India have the most balanced side but their middle order is in shocking nick, and I blame the mixture of good bowling and never getting even balanced pitch conditions to build some fluency. a lot of the home decks have been extremely challenging for all 12 batting players, and then they go on tour to countries with world class bowlers. There's no let up.

In saying that, bar our tour to our mental block country NZ have done everything asked of them except for one innings of madness in Sri Lanka that cost a series win. The series win in the UAE was a seriously impressive achievement for NZ historically that would be trumpeted more if Pakistan were a big 3 nation, and the NZ second XI stood up to mostly full strength England with Anderson, Broad and Root and beat them. NZ dispatched everyone including India at home, so on form I think NZ are deserving #1 even if this is a platform to build on rather than an established place.

I guess if you're India you want to take that NZ series and not drop random tests at home to England. The Australian series was a monumental achievement with so many players out, but in terms of strong overseas performances in the WTC it was very last minute, though I think India's place was already booked and their comeback knocked Australia out?

If NZ were lucky in any department, it was the discovery of Kyle Jamieson and Devon Conway nipping into the side in the nick of time. If Neil Wagner doesn't have paternity leave, there's a strong chance Jamieson still hasn't debuted yet and sits behind Henry and Ferguson.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Australia haven’t won an away test series in over 5 years now. Would you be happy if they were crowned test champs?
Yes of course. Don't you guys across the ditch get it. Straya is the best cricketing nation and always will be.

And if hadn't been for Fabio Grosso we would have been Fifa wc winners in 06 as well.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
tl;dr - KJ discovery biggest slice of luck in WTC.

Wah thread probably isn't the place to post seriously but India should smash us pretty hard in a few months, cancelling out their tour here.

India have the most balanced side but their middle order is in shocking nick, and I blame the mixture of good bowling and never getting even balanced pitch conditions to build some fluency. a lot of the home decks have been extremely challenging for all 12 batting players, and then they go on tour to countries with world class bowlers. There's no let up.

In saying that, bar our tour to our mental block country NZ have done everything asked of them except for one innings of madness in Sri Lanka that cost a series win. The series win in the UAE was a seriously impressive achievement for NZ historically that would be trumpeted more if Pakistan were a big 3 nation, and the NZ second XI stood up to mostly full strength England with Anderson, Broad and Root and beat them. NZ dispatched everyone including India at home, so on form I think NZ are deserving #1 even if this is a platform to build on rather than an established place.

I guess if you're India you want to take that NZ series and not drop random tests at home to England. The Australian series was a monumental achievement with so many players out, but in terms of strong overseas performances in the WTC it was very last minute, though I think India's place was already booked and their comeback knocked Australia out?

If NZ were lucky in any department, it was the discovery of Kyle Jamieson and Devon Conway nipping into the side in the nick of time. If Neil Wagner doesn't have paternity leave, there's a strong chance Jamieson still hasn't debuted yet and sits behind Henry and Ferguson.
TBF NZ weren't exactatly miles ahead in the game at that point. Yes you'd normally expect to defend 270 in the sub-continent, but imo NZ just didn't play very well on an unusually slow deck and got punished for it at the end. Having said that, the performance in the 2nd test was outstanding, the best that I've ever seen an NZ side play in Asia - I think it's the only innings victory by a touring side to SL in the past 20 years (or thereabouts).

EDIT: Just noted India did it a couple of times fairly recently. Still an impressive effort.

Last edited: