• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Test batsmen and bowlers peaks. Criteria: At least 5 years and at least 40 innings

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Gavaskar was incredible, but Hutton is basically flawless. Has the big runs against the top attack of his career, big peak, consistency, runs on minefields, volume of work, home/away etc. His only caveat is simply that Gavaskar will have faced a lot more high pace and probably better bowling overall which I understand, SMG's record against WI/Australia is a bit inflated/flattering but he still did very well considering the pitches and bowlers he grew up dealing with.
Could be a post exactly describing Sutcliffe too. Weird fact I just noticed, both Sutcliffe and Hutton sucked in New Zealand.

Sunil1z

International Regular
Hobbs is fixed in ATXI . For 2nd opener you can pick any of the other 3 . It depends on your choice. All of Hutton, Sutclifee and Gavaskar have their own strength and weakness.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Could be a post exactly describing Sutcliffe too. Weird fact I just noticed, both Sutcliffe and Hutton sucked in New Zealand.
As did Sobers.

It would be fun to make ATG teams of players who really struggled in one (the same) country.

For example:
Great XI who sucked in Eng
Great XI who sucked in Oz
Great XI who sucked in ...

Days of Grace

International Captain
I think some breakdown of Gavaskar’s peak needs in terms of the bowling attacks he faced and the pitches he batted on. Didn’t his peak coincide with India playing a number of matches at home in the late 1970s against depleted Australian and West Indian lineups?

Hutton’s peak was during one of the most difficult eras for batting.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
What's his away average during that time

Aus 53.88
Eng 41.25
Ind 33.75
SA 42.00
SL 8.00
UAE 96.33
Zim 136.00

(he played only 2 tests in each except for Aus-5 and UAE-4)

tbf I kinda feel bad for KW, due to NZ’s test schedule compared to the rest of the Fab Four he doesn’t really get time in series to familiarise himself with the new conditions. Not saying he’s a great away player, but something to consider.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
As did Sobers.

It would be fun to make ATG teams of players who really struggled in one (the same) country.

For example:
Great XI who sucked in Eng
Great XI who sucked in Oz
Great XI who sucked in ...
In England:
Virender Sehwag : 278 @ 27,80
David Warner: 651 @ 26.04
Everton Weekes: 533 @ 33.31
Mike Hussey : 345 @ 31.36
Doug Walters : 745 @ 25.69
Andy Flower : 68 @ 22.67
Jack Gregory : 275 @ 22.92 and 22 @ 38.64
Richie Benaud : 260 @ 14.44 and 25 @ 39.68
Chaminda Vaas : 256 @ 36.57 and 9 @ 77.66
Dale Steyn : 67 @ 13.40 and 23 @ 31.65
Bishen Bedi : 74 @ 4.93 and 35 @ 38.09

I included Vaas since he was picked as a bowler. Plus it's amusing that he becomes the best batsman in the XI.
If Flower didn't play enough in England for it to be fair, maybe Denis Lindsay comes in as keeper (92 @ 15.33).

a massive zebra

International Captain
It's pretty weird that Vaas generally did relatively poorly in traditionally seam bowler friendly conditions and very well in seam bowling graveyards.