• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Team of the Year 2017

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Shakib skipping South Africa like a schmuck then deciding to take the captaincy all-together should disqualify him.

Nothing personal, I like his cricket, I just don't like him.
Shouldn't picking a hypothetical team like this only be based on the players cricketing performance? I mean, by many accounts The Don was a dick but I'll still pick him in any team I can.

srbhkshk

International Captain
It's a shame because before that pissweak move, Shakib had had a brilliant year. He won them their 100th test and gave them their first win vs Australia with amazing all round performances. I'd actually have picked him even if he'd just toured SA and done nothing of note. Most cowardly move since Steyn and Philander chickening out of a world record runchase against an attack led by Ishant Sharma.
Still can't believe Steyn doing that, I didn't care about Philander but I'd really expected Steyn to go for it.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
anyway sounds like it's a perfect year for our favourite thing: the other opening position being filled by a non-opener

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Shouldn't picking a hypothetical team like this only be based on the players cricketing performance? I mean, by many accounts The Don was a dick but I'll still pick him in any team I can.
Because it's hypocrisy, all the Don ever skipped out on was World War II.

I think, a player like Shakib. With that poor an attitude, deserves little recognition despite his skill.

SillyCowCorner1

Makes the highest test score for his country

Singlehandedly won the game against Australia. ...and it wasn't a road as some of you have generalized him by.

Skipped SA series because of family planning (Baby #2?)

Awarded captaincy.

Great year Shakib....

*&^$ all your hellwishers!

cnerd123

likes this
I mean, for all we know Shakib wanted to skip the meaningless ODIs and play the SA Tests, but the BCB refused to let him and offered him skipping the SA Tests as a compromise. The guy needed a break, and so he took what was offered. May not have been his preference.

Gnske

How hard could that be? You don't skip a tour, just go home after a game, lie down on top of her for five minutes and tour overseas until she pops the little tyke out.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Because it's hypocrisy, all the Don ever skipped out on was World War II.

I think, a player like Shakib. With that poor an attitude, deserves little recognition despite his skill.
If we're not doing this on skill then what's the basis for it? 8-)

stephen

How hard could that be? You don't skip a tour, just go home after a game, lie down on top of her for five minutes and tour overseas until she pops the little tyke out.
We have a genuine romantic here.

Burgey

Fmd you’d have to prefer touring SA to staying in Bangladesh, all things considered. SA is a beautiful country, and 1/3 of it doesn’t flood every monsoon season.

Plus it’s further away from Chennai.

Let’s look at the test playing venues:

Australia - heaven on earth, obviously. Strong favourite in this field.
NZ - cool climate but stunning and good wine. People usually have a chip on both shoulders so they’re evenly balanced. Each way.
SA - beautiful country and they have real bowling, not just spinners. Strong contender.
Sri Lanka - great climate and scenery, but too many spinners. And Migara lives here unless I’m mistaken, so that’s a draw back. May struggle to stay the journey.
Bangladesh - see comments above. Prefer others.
India - too many spinners and Chennai. Little to redeem it. Shri is from there. Outclassed in this company.
Pakistan - security issues, can’t drink. Can’t win.
Afghanistan - see Pakistan
UAE - very vey hot. Not sure if can drink there. Overall, give it a miss save Dubai which is good for a giggle. Prefer others.
England - birth place of the game, but a **** climate and miseravle people with poor dental and general hygiene, such as Corrin. Prefer others.
Ireland - beautiful country, hilarious and eccentric people but it rains a lot. Worth a visit. Each way.
West Indies - great climate, good hooch and pretty chilled people with a chance to pad the stats. Must tour venue. Well backed.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Fmd you’d have to prefer touring SA to staying in Bangladesh, all things considered. SA is a beautiful country, and 1/3 of it doesn’t flood every monsoon season.

Plus it’s furher away from Chennai.
I had heard rumours Adolf was still alive and hiding away but I thought it was in South America not South Africa

The Good Attitude XI

Elgar
Braithwaite
Pujara
Amla
Kane (*)
Shai Hope
de Kock (+)
Woakes
Bhuvi
Morkel
Lyon
Lyon is a secret asshole, just that no one realizes because he's so quiet and "well-behaved" compared to the rest of the Aussies

Last edited: