• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

super 18

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
anzac said:
I guess it depends on what your long term objectives are.............
if it's competition & revenue then a OD type tourneyment is the way to go.....
however if like me you want to see an improvement at Test level then IMO you have to go with a 4 day format - possibly with some LO matches sprinkled in there to get the crowds.........perhaps a Home & Away 4Day series (like the Tri-Series) with a 20/20 to start with.............
I can see ur point but the problem with a 4d Series is that u lose too much many money and it is harder to fixture. A 1D Series is allot shorter and u have greater chance of gaining money. The main reason why Australia would like something like this is that increase the crowds that go to domestic games, the standard of their cricket is fine.

I do like the idea of a tri series between the A sides though, but mostly even that would be 1D. Extra 4D matches would pretty much mean extra money lost, how many people actually watched NZ A play SA A last season?

slugger

State Vice-Captain
im sorry i dont agree with the A- side idea, those teams travel here and there regardless. the idea behind super 18 -14 or 13 what ever. is to improve players at a domestic level, to compete at a national level. the only major problem is australia probably would feel they gain nothing from this comp. but i woul argue they gain plenty it might not be obvoius from the out start but after 3 or 4 years they may fine their national team bringing in hugh crowds when competeing against st africa and nz. because basically all these players competed against each other through -out the super # comp. this is good for the game and only makes the sthern hemispher teams a real strong.

i purpose 3 teams from nz. 5 teams from sth africa & 6 teams from aust. super 14.

someone mentioned it would only be good if the international players were in the teams, this might be valid at the beginning. but where do you think these international players will come from in the future. thats right the super 14.

anzac

International Debutant
I wasn't aware that there is a definative schedule for 'A' Teams to play each other - I thought it was more like one off arrangements between various team managements etc........

I'm aware that the 4day format runs longer - hence using the 'A' Team format - 1 team per nation, thus breaking it up into bite sized pieces.......

the key to crowd support would be the quality of the players selected and the marketing.........eg Fulton - tall, elegant stroke maker, a domestic average of........ 2nd only to Martin Crowe - etc etc etc............atm 'A' team matches get bugger all publicity let alone coverage, unless they are playing a visiting full intnl side...............last time was ZIM........

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
slugger said:
im sorry i dont agree with the A- side idea, those teams travel here and there regardless. the idea behind super 18 -14 or 13 what ever. is to improve players at a domestic level, to compete at a national level. the only major problem is australia probably would feel they gain nothing from this comp. but i woul argue they gain plenty it might not be obvoius from the out start but after 3 or 4 years they may fine their national team bringing in hugh crowds when competeing against st africa and nz. because basically all these players competed against each other through -out the super # comp. this is good for the game and only makes the sthern hemispher teams a real strong.

i purpose 3 teams from nz. 5 teams from sth africa & 6 teams from aust. super 14.

someone mentioned it would only be good if the international players were in the teams, this might be valid at the beginning. but where do you think these international players will come from in the future. thats right the super 14.
I can see something like this working if it became the major domestic for all the countries, not just a tournment at the start of the season. So it doesn't last too long the teams could play each other once 13 rounds for both FC and OD. This would only be three extra rounds for all the countries.

In SA u could have WP Boland combine with the weakest Franshise, that would make 5 sides. You don't really need the international players if it goes for the full season, as the international players don't play in the domestic championships as it is.

I think the benefit to Australia is that their second string players will be better suit to more varying pitches like then ones they find in NZ and SA, therefore more rounded players.