• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

super 18

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
i really don't like this idea. no room in the schedule, and i'd hate to see it replace the pura cup/ing cup comps which are serving their purposes well.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Crazy Sam said:
i really don't like this idea. no room in the schedule, and i'd hate to see it replace the pura cup/ing cup comps which are serving their purposes well.
What's wrong with a competition before the domestic competitions of the three countries? Besides, Australia played a series of ODIs against Pakistan in winter two or three years ago, and test match series against Zimbabwe and Bangladesh have also been played in the off season in Australia.

MoxPearl

State Vice-Captain
it would be a great idea :D (For one dayers)

it could get huge crowds... if they did it lik the super12....

the super12 has a MASSIVE marketing jugernaught behind it that serves it purpose well.

For people saying it will cost lots... of course it will.. but so does the super12.. and they do it fine.

My only concern would be 18 teams.. imho u would have to cut that down to maybe 14.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
the irony is australia had no competive rugby at domestic level, and were all for the super 12 to help them domestically thats why since it's been played over 10 years nz teams have won 9 times because we have a strong rugby competition at domestic level. only in the last few years has the super 12 started to level out. i believe australian cricket should help there cousins out across the ditch as we did 10 years ago. but seriosily i know a few games are going to look lop sided and i'm sure australian teams will dominate but things will even out over time... just like the super 12.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I would like a kind of champions league format for the top 3 domestic teams of each nation barring Zimbabwe and Bangladesh (1 each)

The lower teams, rank 2,3 and champions of Bangladesh and Zimbabwe would play in the ealirer rounds.

It would be a knowck out home and away series with one test in each home for the series.

The team with better results advance. Wouldnt be as boring and the top international players can play in the later stages like round of16 or 8.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
slugger said:
i believe australian cricket should help there cousins out across the ditch as we did 10 years ago.
Yeah , right !! That's why they have handed out a 5/0 whitewash !! :D :D

Blaze

Banned
chaminda_00 said:
I think something like this sounds good in a Twenty20 format cus 4 Day and even 50 Over may take too long to finish, and therefore drag out for too long. You could have the 18 SH sides taking on each at the start of their seasons. The only problem i see to this is that the Kiwis side may bring down the standard a little bit (no offence to Kiwi supporter) but it might be better if u just had South and North Island sides. Therefore u have 14 teams and everyone can play each other once. The championship would go for like 2 months and then the teams can play their own nation championships for the next 4 months. Something like this would add allot to the domestic calender for all three countires.
If it ever happened I would suggest NZ would have 3 teams. Like Aus do in the Super12.

A Northern, Central and Southern team

Blaze

Banned
Pratyush said:
I would like a kind of champions league format for the top 3 domestic teams of each nation barring Zimbabwe and Bangladesh (1 each)

The lower teams, rank 2,3 and champions of Bangladesh and Zimbabwe would play in the ealirer rounds.

It would be a knowck out home and away series with one test in each home for the series.

The team with better results advance. Wouldnt be as boring and the top international players can play in the later stages like round of16 or 8.
Na I don't like that idea. I think the asian teams should play amongst themselves if they were to have a inter domestic competition.

I do, however, like the idea of a NZ, Aus and SA competition. Not likely to happen for awhile though.. Cricket isn't very proactive

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
slugger said:
the irony is australia had no competive rugby at domestic level, and were all for the super 12 to help them domestically thats why since it's been played over 10 years nz teams have won 9 times because we have a strong rugby competition at domestic level. only in the last few years has the super 12 started to level out. i believe australian cricket should help there cousins out across the ditch as we did 10 years ago. but seriosily i know a few games are going to look lop sided and i'm sure australian teams will dominate but things will even out over time... just like the super 12.
It still sounds like a good idea and i think ur right slugger about the leveling out of the competition after 5 to 10 years.But when it starts it would be better if it included the 6 teams from Australia, 2 from New Zealand and 4 from South Africa. This would give the team from all countries an even chance of winning. But the problem with this is that South Africa just reduced the number of their teams from 18 to 6, so another reduction is unlikely to happen.

One other option is a tornment that involves the 8 domestic winners taken part in a championship at the end of the summer season and before the beginning of the England summer season. That would be pretty mad, but for Sri Lanka to have any chance of winner this then they would have to play the winner of the Provencial Tournment not the PL. I can't see SCC competiting agansit Surrey or NSW. You could play this in a FC format, in one of the smaller countires (UAE for example). It would be played over 3 weeks, QF, SF and then the Final.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Blaze said:
Na I don't like that idea. I think the asian teams should play amongst themselves if they were to have a inter domestic competition.

I do, however, like the idea of a NZ, Aus and SA competition. Not likely to happen for awhile though.. Cricket isn't very proactive
An asian competition would be pretty mad, u could have the 4 Provincial sides from SL, the 4 zonal sides from India and from teams from Pakistan. That would be a mad tournment and the other players that don't make these teams could still play in their own championships, as these sides would be seperate from those sides like Karachi White, SCC and Tamil Nadu etc.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
australia would be very dominating in this competition with all of their 6 teams playing, i like the idea of new zealand having 3 teams Northern (Auckland), Central (wellington) and South Is (Canterbury/Otago). the problem is i don't know enogh about sth africa, but i do believe if this competition was to go ahead then i'm sure they would reduce to 5 maybe even 4 teams. making it the super 14 which is a direct copy of the super 14 rugby.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't like the sound of this idea ... there wouldn't be enough interest ... the domestic comp in australia struggles to get 100 people to a game and that is high quality first class cricket

why would people wanna watch nsw v south island for example?

slugger

State Vice-Captain
ok scrap it, :wacko: what are you mad, thats what they said when someone asked who's gonna watch the warratahs play the highlanders. 10 years on the competition still going. super 12 : :p

Black Thunder

School Boy/Girl Captain
It could work, but it would be hard - and it would be risky.

First off it would have to be implement as a one-day competition, and the international players MUST be involved for it too get off the ground. Domestic one day crowds in Australia are terrible and i presume the same in SAF and NZL. The reason?? no itnernational players. Back in the 70's when international cricketers played quite a big of Sheffield Shield cricket it was not uncommon to get 5-10,000 people to a day's play. Now days, the only time when ANY sort of crowd comes to a game is when the international guys are playing - even then it's still pretty average though.

The Kiwi teams would have to be reduced to 2, maybe 3 at most. South African would have to be cut down to 4 teams - Northern Transvaal, Western Province, a south team (Natal??) and an eastern team Similar to the current situation with Super 12 Rugby teams. Keep the 6 Australian teams.

But the thing is, it's just too hard to implement this competition in an approriate time frame (during summer) and still have international players playing - there just simply isn't enough time.

Unfortunately, because it would be great. But unlike Rugby, where the season is clearly defined - SH have Super 12 and tri nations while NH have Six Nations and various test matches from March - June/July. NH teams tour the SH during August and September. SH teams tour NH during November and December. Everyone gets a bit of time in the middle of the year (between Super 12, tests) and around October they get about a month off, and there's three months off in the middle of the year.

chekmeout

U19 Debutant
i love the idea... the ideal platform would be 50 over games... the most important thing for this to work is marketing.. it needs tv telecast... if its marketed correctly im sure it could become a great success..
in any case there is no harm in trying... (not like the ICC will still listen to us!)

anzac

International Debutant
my advice would be to try to keep it as simple as possible to start with so as to give the comp a realistic chance of getting off the ground...............Super 12 started with 10 teams and is due to be expanded again now that it has proven it's viability & standards..........

Limited Overs format & 'selection' type teams (as in Super 12 for NZL at least)...........

keep it just to NZL , AUS & RSA at most to start with...........with 2 teams from NZL, and 3 - 4 each from AUS & RSA........

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I would think S.A & NZ would have a hard time convincing Australia with this idea because they are going along fine as it is.

I suppose each country could hold their own 4 day season & then play a super-12 like 50 over format.
From an NZ P.O.V, we desperately need a competition like that...possibly South Africa too. But as I said, im not sure Australia would see the merits in it considering their competition is already quite strong.

NZ would definately only be able to produce 2 teams. Possibly 3, if the current NZ players were involved.
I'd be concerned about only 2 teams taking part, as that means there are alot of players being pushed out with not even a decent 50 over competition back here to play in.
If NZ international players were involved, I think NZ could handle sending a North, Central & South Island side into the competition.

anzac

International Debutant
thing is I think the ICC would go for it (depending on format etc) as one means by which to improve the standard of intnl cricket - it's not going to solve all their problems in all aspects of the game, but at least you'd get a raising of standards which should have a flow on effect into the domestic games, eventually leading to better competition v AUS..........

AUS v The Rest is fine so far as a spectacle goes, but in reality does absolutely zip so far as narrowing the gap from AUS to the ROTW is concerned.........

I'm sure the ACB is mindful that the longer they are able to put away 'decent' sides inside 4 days the more damage is being done so far as Test crowds are concerned..............

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I could never see Australia having any less then 6 teams and also SA just reduced the amount of teams from 18 to 6, i really can't see then reducing the amount of teams again to 4 or 5. This is proabably the biggest problem, the amount of teams. If u have 18 then Australia will see no point as it will not improve the standard of competition, if u have less then SA will be unhappy. If SA and and Aus have 6 each and NZ 2, then NZ will unhappy.

It would be a mad competition bad too hard to get the format right. On option could be 16, six Aus and SA and 4 NZ. Just a knockout comp to start the domestic competitions.