• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

super 18

anzac

International Debutant
alternatively (and still keeping with the RFU comparissons), they could look at a Tri-Series at 'A' Team level..............

limit the number of full intnls allowed in the teams
play a Home & Away series of 1 x 4 dayer & 3 x ODIs but you could do it in alternative bites - eg Home for the 4 dayer then Away for the 3 ODIs then visa versa..........

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
NZ could never go as far as 4 teams. But I think 2 would be not enough because NZ need a decent amount of depth to select from.

A Super 13 would give Australia 6, S.A 4 & NZ 3...that means there would be a bye each round but I think its best option.
The other idea is to make it a 40 over competition, so the games are shorter & can probably start 1 to 1 & a half hours later to get a better crowd attendence during the weekdays in particular.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I guess the other concern for NZ would be that step-up from club cricket straight to a Super 13 format.
I would propose that the NZC uses the grounds down at Lincoln for the players who miss out on Super 13 selection to play for their various provinces e.g. Auckland, N.D, Canterbury etc to create a month long OD competition.

So at least the next tier of players are playing the best of the rest from the other provinces around NZ.

There are a number of stumbling blocks..it's not easy, and I can't say im too hopeful of seeing it become a reality in the near future.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Tim said:
I guess the other concern for NZ would be that step-up from club cricket straight to a Super 13 format.
I would propose that the NZC uses the grounds down at Lincoln for the players who miss out on Super 13 selection to play for their various provinces e.g. Auckland, N.D, Canterbury etc to create a month long OD competition.

So at least the next tier of players are playing the best of the rest from the other provinces around NZ.

There are a number of stumbling blocks..it's not easy, and I can't say im too hopeful of seeing it become a reality in the near future.
Well if it was ever going to happen then it would be at the start of the season, so therefore all players will be going straight from club to this format. It would be a short comp to start the season so it wouldn't be a big deal. Everyone is in the same boat.

I aslo think NZ could go to 4 pretty easierly. Aukland and ND, Wellington & CD could both could combine. Also i still cant see SA would want to reduce the number of teams in the comp to 4 when they just reduce the amount of FC sides to 6. It would just defeat the purpose of reducing it in the 1st place.

chekmeout

U19 Debutant
is there any way for individuals like us to suggest ideas to the icc??
or do we just pray that they happen to come across cricketweb!

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
4? If Auck/N.D, Wellington/C.D & Canterbury/Otago combined..that would only make 3 sides.

Canterbury at full strength would probably be the only side that could play without combining with any other side in NZ.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
chekmeout said:
is there any way for individuals like us to suggest ideas to the icc??
or do we just pray that they happen to come across cricketweb!
Just an open discussion mate but anyway it would be ACB, NZC and the South African board that desides wheather it would happen or not. From comments by NZC CEO (or whatever his is, Brain something) the kiwis wouldnt mind something like this. Im not sure about the two but, it been suggested to the ACB by the NZC to have a South and North Island sides in the Australia comps. The ACB didn't seem over the moon about the idea, as that wouldn't add anything major to their comps.

telsor

U19 12th Man
Might be interesting, but I can't really see it happening.

Perhaps the champions of each nations domestic ODI comp could get together for 2 weeks ( 3 teams, each play each other twice meaning 6 matches +1 final ), rotating the country it's played in each year.

chekmeout

U19 Debutant
chaminda_00 said:
Just an open discussion mate but anyway it would be ACB, NZC and the South African board that desides wheather it would happen or not. From comments by NZC CEO (or whatever his is, Brain something) the kiwis wouldnt mind something like this. Im not sure about the two but, it been suggested to the ACB by the NZC to have a South and North Island sides in the Australia comps. The ACB didn't seem over the moon about the idea, as that wouldn't add anything major to their comps.
Hmm .. OK.. But as a generalisation - Is there any way to suggest ideas to the ICC?

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
telsor said:
Might be interesting, but I can't really see it happening.

Perhaps the champions of each nations domestic ODI comp could get together for 2 weeks ( 3 teams, each play each other twice meaning 6 matches +1 final ), rotating the country it's played in each year.
Tried it before had no real interest by the public, but there was no publicity or marketing

anzac

International Debutant
The ACB are aware of NZL wanting to get involved in their local comps...............have heard it mentioned this season on the Cricket show with AB & Brendan Julian.............and there was a reference to what NZL had done for ARFU with the Super 12..............and a further acknowledgement that the end result would be good for the game even if NZL stood to gain more than AUS...............

their main concerns were regarding the format of the NZL side/s and maintaining the quality................

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
anzac said:
The ACB are aware of NZL wanting to get involved in their local comps...............have heard it mentioned this season on the Cricket show with AB & Brendan Julian.............and there was a reference to what NZL had done for ARFU with the Super 12..............and a further acknowledgement that the end result would be good for the game even if NZL stood to gain more than AUS...............

their main concerns were regarding the format of the NZL side/s and maintaining the quality................
The format of the NZ sides would not be too hard, North and South teams. North being made up of players from ND, Aukland and Wellington and South being made up of players from CD, Otago, Canterbury. Isn't that how they do it now or have i been miss informed.

Also the qualityof the players from NZ could be maintained if the other NZ from players were still playing in the State Shield in NZ.

Maybe they should trial it in the OD comp or Twenty20 Comp 1st and see how it works and if it works ok then put them into the PMC. I think it would add something to the domestic scene in Australia as well as NZ.

The biggest problem with the 'Super 18' suggestion is reducing the teams from NZ and SA to make it competitive. Atleast with the two NZ sides it is easier to implement.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
2 sides would not be enough...if this was to be a worth-while competition for NZ then they would need 3 teams playing.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Tim said:
2 sides would not be enough...if this was to be a worth-while competition for NZ then they would need 3 teams playing.
I mean two sides in the ING Cup and PMC not the Super (##)

anzac

International Debutant
I don't know if the NZCC could afford to have 2 teams in the AUS domestic comps.........both financially & be able to maintain the talent...........the Warriors have struggled in the NRL for years to prove themselves

and I think this is what AUS was wary of - that there would not be enough talent to maintain the team without it being stacked - likewise they did not want to be presented with an Acadamey type side...........

my punt is for an 'A' type side based upon prior season domestic form

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
No

We need an ICC Champions League.

The top 8 teams in OD in The top 8 countries(all test bar.Zim and Bangla) meet in April/September depending on the venue, every year and are split into 2 groups of 4 and after playing each team, the top 2 teams go forward to the semi-finals, if there is a tie it is settled by record against the other teams level and then NRR. and the winners play in the ICC Champions League Final.

EXAMPLE:

Group A
Team- Played- Won- Lost- Points- NRR
Victoria- 3- 3- 0- 9- 4.21
Dolphins- 3 - 2- 1-6- 2.41
Mumbai- 3- 1- 2- 3- -0.12
Galle- 3- 0- 3- 0- -1.57

Group B
Team- Played- Won- Lost- Points
Leicestershire- 3 - 3- 0- 9- 8.57
Auckland- 3 - 1- 2- 3- 1.04
Islamabad- 3- 1 - 2- 3- 0.41
Guyana- 3- 1- 2- 3- 0.01

Semi Finals:

Victoria vs Auckland. Auckland 245-3. Victoria 247-7
Leicestershire vs Dolphins Leicestershire 301-4. Dolphins 199.

Final

Leicestershire vs Victoria. Leicestershire win by 100 runs.

You get my point and bias to Leicestershire :P

anzac

International Debutant
to be honest I'd rather see a NZL side in the AUS domestic season with the emphasis on the longer form of the game, than yet another bloody OD format comp

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Jamee999 said:
We need an ICC Champions League.

The top 8 teams in OD in The top 8 countries(all test bar.Zim and Bangla) meet in April/September depending on the venue, every year and are split into 2 groups of 4 and after playing each team, the top 2 teams go forward to the semi-finals, if there is a tie it is settled by record against the other teams level and then NRR. and the winners play in the ICC Champions League Final.

EXAMPLE:

Group A
Team- Played- Won- Lost- Points- NRR
Victoria- 3- 3- 0- 9- 4.21
Dolphins- 3 - 2- 1-6- 2.41
Mumbai- 3- 1- 2- 3- -0.12
Galle- 3- 0- 3- 0- -1.57

Group B
Team- Played- Won- Lost- Points
Leicestershire- 3 - 3- 0- 9- 8.57
Auckland- 3 - 1- 2- 3- 1.04
Islamabad- 3- 1 - 2- 3- 0.41
Guyana- 3- 1- 2- 3- 0.01

Semi Finals:

Victoria vs Auckland. Auckland 245-3. Victoria 247-7
Leicestershire vs Dolphins Leicestershire 301-4. Dolphins 199.

Final

Leicestershire vs Victoria. Leicestershire win by 100 runs.

You get my point and bias to Leicestershire :P
Sounds ok but i rather see a Inter-Prov side in the comp then a PL side from Sri Lanka, we will have more chance of being competitive and maybe even winning.

anzac

International Debutant
I guess it depends on what your long term objectives are.............
if it's competition & revenue then a OD type tourneyment is the way to go.....
however if like me you want to see an improvement at Test level then IMO you have to go with a 4 day format - possibly with some LO matches sprinkled in there to get the crowds.........perhaps a Home & Away 4Day series (like the Tri-Series) with a 20/20 to start with.............