• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Super 12 - Group 1

Victor Ian

International Coach
If I were a terribly annoying fan of reminiscence I could surmise that this must be how opposition teams playing Australia in ODI WCs felt in the early naughties. England just feel inevitable.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
^Yeah they project a similar aura these days certainly. Amazing how guys like Roy and Buttler, who I think is fair to say have often cracked under pressure at Test level, transform literally into superheros in these games. Not a slight against them either; I personally feel it will add to the overall narrative when their careers are written about.

Spark

Global Moderator
^Yeah they project a similar aura these days certainly. Amazing how guys like Roy and Buttler, who I think is fair to say have often cracked under pressure at Test level, transform literally into superheros in these games. Not a slight against them either; I personally feel it will add to the overall narrative when their careers are written about.
I keep going on about it but Buttler's Test record is just so baffling to me. It's not even that his average is low, his average looks okay for a modern keeper-batsman in this day and age, it's that he scores so slowly. I just don't get it at all.

Shady Slim

International Coach
I keep going on about it but Buttler's Test record is just so baffling to me. It's not even that his average is low, his average looks okay for a modern keeper-batsman in this day and age, it's that he scores so slowly. I just don't get it at all.
i think it's a case of he tries too hard To Bat In Test Mode

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
i think it's a case of he tries too hard To Bat In Test Mode
It probably hasn't helped him how dire England's Test batting has been for most of his career. It's extremely rare that he ever comes out with a big score already on the board and a license to swing. In fact, it's pretty rare for there to be even a mediocre score on the board when he comes out, so he generally takes it on himself to Bat Responsibly, which is fair enough I guess.

That said I just don't think he's ever really figured out a method that's gets the best out of his talents when facing the red ball. On the odd occasion when he has tried to hit out early it hasn't worked and when he plays himself in slowly he rarely accelerates much. He's played more than enough Tests now that you'd think you'd have had at least a few innings where his white ball skills and persona shines through, but it hasn't happened. He's a completely different sort of batsman in Tests. And, you, know, he's kinda alright. He's fine for a wicketkeeper/bat and has contributed some valuable innings. It's just that given his astonishing feats in the shorter formats as a Test batsman he's remarkably unremarkable.

Flem274*

123/5
T20 is just a different game, and I have to remind myself of this constantly when a ****house legspinner takes poles bowling long hops.

Buttler is an amazing white ball player and an okay red ball player tbh (I think the hate comes from the gap between records not the test record itself), but the formats are diverging from tests.