• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Suggestions for my next international

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
My ticket for Headingley last year was £40 - seeing as you can pay that to watch a Premier League football match that lasts for about a quarter of the time, I don't think it's as bad as some people make out.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
If the demand wasn't there the prices wouldn't be so high. The problem we have is that there is nothing outside of international cricket to justify having large stadiums, this coupled with higher population means demand per place will always be higher than Australia, which is currently the only other country in which test cricket is regularly played to sell out/large crowds, and where international cricket is only a minor part of stadium income in 3 of the main 5 cities. It was nice to pay less than a tenner to watch the ODI series final at the MCG the other year tho

Nethertheless i'd say international cricket compares pretty well with other professional sports especially when you consider that you are getting a full day rather than acouple of hours

leepayne

School Boy/Girl Captain
I had a dry run of the Ashes test on Tuesday, I went to the ODI at Edgbaston. The ground is smaller than I thought it would be, but it was still a nice one and the atmosphere was great. I can see why Twenty20 finals day is there. I was sat in the Eric Hollies stand, one row in front of the Smurfs. Everyone was in a good mood, the banter with the players was fun and England played well. A good day all round. I have to say, though, both the ground itself and the surrounding area is inferior to Trent Bridge.

stumpski

International Captain
That's as maybe, but they're all extremely expensive, by Joe Public standards.

It's been pointed-out that watching England play cricket is becoming increasingly an upper-class pastime.

One reason why I've attended one Test match since 1996 - although I must have gone to about 200 county matches in the same period. Amuses me to hear people talk about Test cricket and Twenty20 as if they're the only forms of the game still in existence.

Suits me fine though, ITBT. The day when I have to queue for 40 minutes for a beer at a Championship match will be the last time I go.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
That's as maybe, but they're all extremely expensive, by Joe Public standards.

It's been pointed-out that watching England play cricket is becoming increasingly an upper-class pastime.
A jolly good thing too. Keeps out the riff-raff.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Never been to a Test?! I've been to two - The Oval 1998 and Headingley 2003. And anyway, I've watched plenty on TV which merely backed-up my impression I got on said occasions.

There was one entire section of a crowd at the former which stood and applauded\catcalled... when one female steward walked past. Every time. Even at 13 I could tell the bogan-ness of that. Latter involved the usual hefty amount of throwing rubbish all over everywhere (including onto the field and into the space of other spectators) in the name of having some fun Mexican Waving... yeah. 8-)

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Never been to a Test?! I've been to two - The Oval 1998 and Headingley 2003. And anyway, I've watched plenty on TV which merely backed-up my impression I got on said occasions.

There was one entire section of a crowd at the former which stood and applauded\catcalled... when one female steward walked past. Every time. Even at 13 I could tell the bogan-ness of that. Latter involved the usual hefty amount of throwing rubbish all over everywhere (including onto the field and into the space of other spectators) in the name of having some fun Mexican Waving... yeah. 8-)
Could have sworn you told me you'd only ever been to T20 games with your family, must be mistaken obviously! Could have sworn you even made a post saying "I really should get to a Test one of these days!" LOL, my bad

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Can only imagine you're getting me mixed-up with someone else then TBH. Maybe another of the multiple Richs we have on here. 'Cos I have 100% certainly never said that.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nope. Have thought about doing so every now and then (I obviously wouldn't enjoy the play itself much but it might be a worthwhile experience) but never actually have.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
:wacko:

Dunno what I was thinking of. Should get yourself down to Taunton once in a while.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Nope. Have thought about doing so every now and then (I obviously wouldn't enjoy the play itself much but it might be a worthwhile experience) but never actually have.
Even my Grandad enjoyed it when we took him to a T20. Totally against expectations too. Then again, maybe that's what you're really afraid of. ;)