• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Steve Smith vs Sachin Tendulkar

Who is the better test batsman?

• Total voters

Jfry

U19 Debutant
Smith has one bad series against India, against whom Ponting was amazingly bad against and suddenly he is worse than Ponting despite the fact he has a track record against India with potentially the greatest away series in India by any batsmen

I don't get this

subshakerz

International Coach
Smith has one bad series against India, against whom Ponting was amazingly bad against and suddenly he is worse than Ponting despite the fact he has a track record against India with potentially the greatest away series in India by any batsmen

I don't get this
I was going to go with Smith but after this series against India, its SRT all the way :)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
This is why it is usually not such a great idea to rate in progress careers.

FWIW, as of today, it goes

Lara > Sachin > Smith > Ponting for me, among the batsmen I have seen. I do need to wonder if any of others in the fab 4 would have overtaken Ponting as well. Maybe Root?

ma1978

International 12th Man
Ponting was a winner, a hard nosed Aussie

Smith is this odd looking weedy fellow

Blatant stereotypes aside, Ponting was just as dominant for a longer period of time and played more iconic innings. The decline phase of Ponting’s career was very sharp and we haven’t yet seen that with Smith

Spark

Global Moderator
Ponting was a winner, a hard nosed Aussie

Smith is this odd looking weedy fellow

Blatant stereotypes aside, Ponting was just as dominant for a longer period of time and played more iconic innings. The decline phase of Ponting’s career was very sharp and we haven’t yet seen that with Smith
I strongly disagree with this - if there's one area where Smith has him covered IMO, it's a plethora of jawdropping innings away from home in big series which Ponting never quite matched (mostly because he was merely middling in England and outright poor in India, which are the two biggest away Tests for any Aus cricketer)

If Smith averaged 50 in this BGT would he be winning?
If Smith had repeated his 2017 exploits on these pitches then he would be the clear frontrunner for TBAB, not least because Australia would have won the series.

In any case the point is not that Smith's achievements were better or worse than Ponting because they're from different eras. As with Steyn, the reason historic comparisons can be made wrt Smith is because he's head and shoulders above his contemporaries, which is the only truly fair comparison.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah that's one metric where I don't think a comparison between them is even close.

Smith's 2017 India and 2019 Ashes are the stuff of legend. 770 runs in four tests in 2019 is ****ing insane. Marnus averaged 50 odd in his four tests (one as a concussion sub tbf) but after him the next best Aus bat was Wade who averaged 30. Smith doesn't play that series Aus probably don't win a test.

Ponting played that epic 156 in 2005 to draw the third test which I think was his greatest knock - genuinely batting on a different pitch to everyone else against a eally good attack, but I can't really recall him scoring as many epic tons as Smith, especially series-defining away tons.

The_CricketUmpire

U19 Vice-Captain
This is why it is usually not such a great idea to rate in progress careers.

FWIW, as of today, it goes

Lara > Sachin > Smith > Ponting for me, among the batsmen I have seen. I do need to wonder if any of others in the fab 4 would have overtaken Ponting as well. Maybe Root?
Yeah I still rate Lara very very highly. Just oozed talent...natural talent. When he was on....he would take any bowling attack apart.

The_CricketUmpire

U19 Vice-Captain
There's lots of ways to assess batsman. One way could be this - average runs scored per series.

Smith so far has played in 30 Test series and scored 8,792 runs and the average number of Tests per series has been 3.20. He has averaged 293.06 runs per series.

Tendulkar played in 74 Test series throughout his career and scored 15,921 runs and the average number of Tests per series was 2.74. He averaged 215.14 runs per series.

As I said, that's only one way of assessing a batsman. We all talk about (and rightly so) a batsman's batting average per innings but I think it's also good to look at a batsman's average per series for runs scored - it just adds a different and another element to the topic ?

Another awesome batsman that comes to mind is Brian Lara - he played in 39 Test series in his career and the average number of Tests per series was 3.35. He scored 11,953 runs. He averaged 306.48 runs per series.

ataraxia

International Coach
There's lots of ways to assess batsman. One way could be this - average runs scored per series.

Smith so far has played in 30 Test series and scored 8,792 runs and the average number of Tests per series has been 3.20. He has averaged 293.06 runs per series.

Tendulkar played in 74 Test series throughout his career and scored 15,921 runs and the average number of Tests per series was 2.74. He averaged 215.14 runs per series.

As I said, that's only one way of assessing a batsman. We all talk about (and rightly so) a batsman's batting average per innings but I think it's also good to look at a batsman's average per series for runs scored - it just adds a different and another element to the topic ?

Another awesome batsman that comes to mind is Brian Lara - he played in 39 Test series in his career and the average number of Tests per series was 3.35. He scored 11,953 runs. He averaged 306.48 runs per series.
You do realise this measure has precisely zero value, right?

Spark

Global Moderator
I think he's trying to make a measure of whether a batsman had a dominant series or not but yeah that's literally just runs per test * tests per series, which mostly just tells you that Australia plays long series.

Standardised average is still the king if you want to start playing weighting games anyway. Stop trying to get horrible horrible people elected to the NSW Parliament @Prince EWS and give us a database update.

The_CricketUmpire

U19 Vice-Captain
I think he's trying to make a measure of whether a batsman had a dominant series or not but yeah that's literally just runs per test * tests per series, which mostly just tells you that Australia plays long series.

Standardised average is still the king if you want to start playing weighting games anyway. Stop trying to get horrible horrible people elected to the NSW Parliament @Prince EWS and give us a database update.
Yes that was my point.

Apologies to those who didn't see much value in it. I was only looking at it from a different angle that's all.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
I strongly disagree with this - if there's one area where Smith has him covered IMO, it's a plethora of jawdropping innings away from home in big series which Ponting never quite matched (mostly because he was merely middling in England and outright poor in India, which are the two biggest away Tests for any Aus cricketer)
South Africa have been better than England in the last 30 years. And playing South Africa has been just as iconic. Ponting was really really good against them iirc, Smith not so. This kind of balances the scale a little bit. Not to mention Ponting was really dominant in ODIs too which amount to something as well. (Top legends have to be able to adapt to different formats and succeed).