• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Steve Smith vs Sachin Tendulkar

Who is the better test batsman?

• Total voters

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tendulkar for now, but agree that Smith is probably within range. He could continue being decent like the last few years, have a decline or go back to a mad scoring spree. Really all up in the air atm.

The_Bunny

State Regular
Basically impossible to Answer at the moment, really depends if Smith has a good last few years or does a Ponting.
Current trajectory he is on track to be Better than Tendulkar, but if he retires Tomorrow I think I would rate the Little Master in front.

Needs more time

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Steve Smith has that addiction to batting that Sachin has got. Shadow practicing while fielding, always on the lookout to learn something new.. Haven't seen it in many other batsmen..

Godard

U19 Vice-Captain
While Smiths 2014-17 peak is better than any peak Sachin had, the difference between Sachin and Smith’s longevity is more. That coupled with the fact Tendulkar was heads and shoulders the best batsmen of the 90s, one of the toughest eras to bat, and Smith despite his good record post 2018, has to prove himself for somewhat more in this era. So Smith doing well for another 20-25 tests will solve the longevity problem to an extent and the era one also.

Daemon

Tbf Tendulkar had a ridiculously long peak as well of like 8 years or something. Anyways this has been done to death a few times so meh.

Slifer

International Captain
While Smiths 2014-17 peak is better than any peak Sachin had, the difference between Sachin and Smith’s longevity is more. That coupled with the fact Tendulkar was heads and shoulders the best batsmen of the 90s, one of the toughest eras to bat, and Smith despite his good record post 2018, has to prove himself for somewhat more in this era. So Smith doing well for another 20-25 tests will solve the longevity problem to an extent and the era one also.
Smith is head and shoulders the best batsman playing. And has been so for the better part of a decade

Daemon

Yes, but Smiths peaks are better
Yeah his 14-17 was pretty insane. Don't think Tendulkar had something like that, but he did have a longer period of success averaging 65 or something. Smith was further ahead of the competition in his peak than Tendulkar was though.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Not a fan of peak period ratings tbh. I have watched both of their careers pretty much in full (Smith's so far). Not a fan of comparing completed Vs in-progress careers either. But if Smith were to retire today, I would think Sachin still had the better career.

Godard

U19 Vice-Captain
Smith is head and shoulders the best batsman playing. And has been so for the better part of a decade
We are only 5 years in the post 2018 era, whereas Tendulkar averaged 58 for the entire 90s. Let Smith do that for 20-25 more tests this era.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Smith isn't the best at the moment though is he? Hasn't been for over two years now. Root and Labu have both been better. Smith's averaged 46 in 28 Tests since the Ashes in Eng; still just a blip in the program?

Slifer

International Captain
Surprised at one sided vote in favour of Tendulkar. In an earlier poll, Smith demolished Viv Richards. I don't think however that Tendulkar can demolish Viv Richards in one on one poll.
Which is kinda odd. Because if you put Smith up against say Jacques Kallis, since longevity is Smith's only real issue, logically Kallis should win. But I'm willing to guess Smith would dominate in such a poll.

subshakerz

International Coach
The only thing iffy about Smith is that I feel his technique and style of play has not been sufficiently tested against high quality pace bowling.

I think he will score against Murali and Kumble if he faced them.

But against Ambrose, Donald and Akram? Not so sure. Part of me thinks he would have struggled.

Yes, Smith scored a ton against an off-color Steyn early in his career. But not much else to go on.

Granted, Tendulkar never really dominated any ATG bowler but scored sufficiently well against them and never particularly struggled against them either.

Overall, Smith really overtakes Tendulkar in scoring against low-medium range bowling which Tendulkar never quite dominated to the same extent.