• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sri Lanka will win the World Cup

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Jayawardene is a **** **** in one day cricket and Sangakkara really isn't that much better either.
AWTA. Jayawardane is **** when he doesn't open. Sanga is an anchoring batsman only. Not a real match winner with the bat. That leaves only Dilshan and Mathews as match winners with the bat.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
While Sangakkara is pretty over-rated in ODIs by people who don't follow Sri Lanka too closely, I definitely don't think it's fair to say he's "not decent" or "crap". He's decent to good, IMO. He certainly doesn't match up to his reputation but there aren't too many teams I'd leave him out of.

Jayawardene, too, is a special kind of crap. I'm not saying he isn't a **** **** at this form of the game, but unlike most batsmen with his record, he's quite capable of playing a substantial innings against a good attack under pressure. Most batsmen who average 32 odd and strike at 75 odd or so make a career out of bashing minnows and scoring runs in irrelevant circumstances but as the last World Cup showed, his class can shine through at the right times. No doubt he's not very good at this format but I'd definitely take him over other players with similar records for that reason.

I agree the batting is weak and over-rated but perhaps not as weak as the numbers show or as the clued in Sri Lankan fans think, IMO.
MJ has been woeful at #4. Sanga, MJ and Sam all are orthodox players who don't use long handle. Only time MJ has been breathtaking is when he opens the innings where he can pierce the gaps well. Once set, he can take any attack of any class to the cleaners. Having Tharanga at #2 compounds the problems. #2-#6 all cannot rotate the strike as Aravinda-Arjuna used to do effortlessly. Dilshan and Mathews are no different either, but these two possess good ability in long handle. Because of this most sides tend to scatter the field when these two comes up to the crease.

MJ, Dilshan, Sanga, Chandimal, Sam, Mathews, Perera would have been the ideal line up with Randiv and Kulasekara coming at 8 and 9. That has only two players who drop anchor, and guys like DIlshan, Mathews, Chandimal and Perera usually don't scrape around with singles.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Haha, when you quote my two posts in a row it really looks like I'm contradicting myself. :p I wasn't though; I promise.

Blaze 18

Banned
Hmm...Chances of Srilanka to qualify for semis is bright but to win the WC is i think over-expectation :P
Why ? If they are good enough to reach the semi finals, then they have every chance of going all the way.

Like someone mentioned earlier, they seem to have all bases covered.

1) Strong, balanced side on paper.
2) They are in good form - just beat the number one side in their backyard.
3) They are playing in very familiar conditions.

They have as good a chance as India do, if not better. Many of the top sides haven't played ODIs in Sri Lanka for quite a while, so they might struggle to come to terms with the conditions (by contrast, most of the top teams have played ODI series in India recently).

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
I want Pakistan to win the WC. What ever that kicks out the SLC officials, selectors and the captain I am with them. Thiese retards are killing the game by selecting passengers who are good at giving nothing but blow jobs.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I want Pakistan to win the WC. What ever that kicks out the SLC officials, selectors and the captain I am with them. Thiese retards are killing the game by selecting passengers who are good at giving nothing but blow jobs.
Wow, so this is what you meant by "select suckers"...

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
The continued neglect of the in form seamer shows that there is something other than cricket on the minds of the admins of SL team. FFS, they batted Kulasekara before Perera, in last 5 overs of a match! Perera is there for the above excat situation, to come in, play 20 balls and score 30 out of it. Then his 6 overs were in two spells. Instead of picking him in starting XI Sanag is trying to cover up it with crappy part time spin of Samaraweera, Silva and right arm nothings of BJ Crapoo. And continuing picking of "Mystery" Mendis, who keeps getting hammered by minnows is another surprise.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Simply put BJ Crapoo, Tharanga, Mendis and Herath has no business in that team. It should have been Chandimal, Vaas, Randiv and Jeewan Mendis in that team.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Even Arjuna has lost his mind. He's also supporting the pieces of **** in the team. Media in SL even worse. Either they are politically motivated asking for the reasons behind exclusion of Jayasuriya (who performed admirably and was running for the MOT of the provincial tournament), or just keep scratching the backs of the selectors. No one dares to question the captain and the selectsuckers. FFS these guys are no Viv's. except de Silva no one has the aura with them. (Even de Silva's aura has long disappeared now). No one can question how a batsman averaging 22 with SR of 72 remain in the team (yea! that's Crapoo, and he thinks that is very good performance!) over many deserving players (like Chandimal, or Maharoof, who averages 20 with the bat @ 87, and bowls too). When selectsuckers say that Randiv's ER is not good (4.65) no one dares to ask that within last year he had the lowest ER among SL bowlers. Or these media retards just doesn't know how to look at stats guru and have the information with them.

I have supported SL in darkest of times, but even in those times, the entire cricketing scene never had been filled with retards like these. Some people here are thinking of conspiracy theories as a results. (Selectors payed by a powerful cricket board to select an inferior team so their team can win the WC):huh:

Last edited: