• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sri Lanka Circus thread

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Shanaka is better than most of you guys here are crediting him for, IMO. But there is no way he should be captain, especially as some kind of punishment for what seems to be pretty reasonable demands for the contracts for Kusal Perera and the group.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Shanaka is a good cricketer, Decent enough pacer and hits bombs, wouldn't call him a no-rounder.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

The three Sri Lanka players whose night out in Durham broke bio-bubble protocols could be in for long suspensions if the recommendations of the committee that investigated the incident are followed. The five-member committee, led by a former Supreme Court judge, has recommended that Danushka Gunathilaka and Kusal Mendis be suspended from international cricket for two years, while Niroshan Dickwella be suspended for 18 months.

cnerd123

likes this
Fidel Fernando predicted this would happen

It is possible that over the next few weeks, these two men - who along with others such as Thilanga Sumathipala and Nishantha Ranatunga have overseen the galling decline of Sri Lanka's top-flight cricket - will take their places on a dais, and wearing their grumpiest expressions, hand out lengthy suspensions to Danushka Gunathilaka, Kusal Mendis and Niroshan Dickwella, for their breaking of the bio-bubble during the England tour.

cnerd123

likes this
Is it because just that they breached the bio bubble or there is a story behind this whole thing?
It's because the SLCB likes keeping SL cricket in a constant state of chaos to distract from their own corruption and failings as administrators. Any time a player or coach gets too senior they naturally begin to question or criticise the way cricket is governed, so SLCB's solution is to sack/replace/ban them whenever there is a whiff of that happening.

Really a complete joke of administrative body.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
To be fair, Gunathilaka and Mendis have had a couple of prior disciplinary issues.

Mendis ran over someone while potentially being under the influence (he was cleared of charges but, y'know).

Guna had some other breaches including breaking curfews.

The three of them are incredibly stupid for breaking the bubble for a night out. They put at risk a massive amount of preparation and security that had been arranged specifically for their own safety, and more importantly the safety of others. I actually don't mind the harsh punishment, though of course given SLC's history it's likely motivated by other reasons.

mr_mister

pretty tragic. Love watching all 3 of Guna, Mendis and Dickwella. Feel it puts a huge dent in Sri Lanka's full strength side

Bahseph

State Captain
I generally have my finger on the pulse with SL cricket but I've lost track of what's going on now. It's a mess. There are still some talented players going around but with this sort of administration they don't have a chance.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
pretty tragic. Love watching all 3 of Guna, Mendis and Dickwella. Feel it puts a huge dent in Sri Lanka's full strength side
Dannyboy is sorely missed at opening position. He and Avishka would have been an awesome combination. Mendis and Dikwell has much better replacements. Charith Asalanka had all the Mendis' shots, and he is about twice as strong as Mendis. Other man to come in and replace Mendis was Rajapaksha. And we saw how he is when on song. Minod Bhanuka reads the game much better than Dikwella. I am not surprised if he gets a test call up as well.

mr_mister

If he never plays again, I think his 18 test fifties and 0 centuries record will stand a while

Flem274*

123/5
Dannyboy is sorely missed at opening position. He and Avishka would have been an awesome combination. Mendis and Dikwell has much better replacements. Charith Asalanka had all the Mendis' shots, and he is about twice as strong as Mendis. Other man to come in and replace Mendis was Rajapaksha. And we saw how he is when on song. Minod Bhanuka reads the game much better than Dikwella. I am not surprised if he gets a test call up as well.
i haven't seen many worse test openers than gunathilaka, and i support nz