• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South African squad for ICC Champions trophy

kingkallis

International Coach
South Africa squad:

Graeme Smith (capt), Johan Botha, Hashim Amla, Mark Boucher (wk), AB de Villiers, JP Duminy, Herschelle Gibbs, Jacques Kallis, Albie Morkel, Makhaya Ntini, Wayne Parnell, Robin Peterson, Dale Steyn, Lonwabo Tsotsobe, Roelof van der Merwe

van der Merwe and Botha were enough! What Robbie P is doing there?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Extra opener...

Selection isn't that ridiculous on this occasion. South Africa are going to play two spinners in practically all ODI cricket up until the WC and P offers cover. Helps that he can bat and field as well.

Ntini is dare I say the only politicised selection. He has no ODI future, Charl Langeveldt is the cricketer they wanted but he is not fit.

Good squad. Should win it or at least reach the finals but that would be unheard of. Likelihood is that they will choke before that and then ass rape England in the following ODI series. No excuses, home form in ODI cricket is imperious.

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
They should do well...

A good team with home advantage!
Don't think so, not a single side has won a global cricket tournie in front of their home crowd, and to add to that Saffies do have that chokers tag to contend with, while playing in such tournaments, which adds further pressure on them, but yeah based on current form, should win this easy.

Naumaan

First Class Debutant
Don't think so, not a single side has won a global cricket tournie in front of their home crowd, and to add to that Saffies do have that chokers tag to contend with, while playing in such tournaments, which adds further pressure on them, but yeah based on current form, should win this easy.
i know one thing, once they win a tournement now, they will not look back

Briony

International Debutant
I think they're the only team without recent practice which could prove to be an obstacle.

SeamUp

International Coach
The squad is close to perfect...I would have 2 changes myself...Peterson and Ntini out and Morne Morkel/McLaren and Langeveldt in.

SA beat a poor Windies side in a warm-up in Potch.

Almost eveyone except De Villiers (16) got runs. Gibbs (38 rh), Smith 83, Kallis 86, Duminy (80* off 49 balls) and Bouch (55 off 27 balls)

Vd Merwe was the pick of the bowlers with 4-34. Steyn may be a bit rusty with 6 1-29 and Albie was expensive again but always seems to get a wicket or 2.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Gibbs is a doubt for Tuesday and possibly the tournament. Will have a scan tomorrow after being forced to retire hurt with an abdominal side strain.

SeamUp

International Coach
No matter how good Hashim is...Hersch would be a big loss..just hope he comes through the scan with not too big a concern.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Gibbs out. Hash plays but they are hoping Herschelle will be fit for New Zealand on Thursday.

Be hard to get Gibbs back into the side if Hashim impresses against Sri Lanka. He did look the part whilst opening in Aus.

SeamUp

International Coach
Hash is class full stop but not a match winner like Hersch.

Hersch has scored 21 ODI hundreds of which 5 has come in major ICC tournaments and single-handedly can win a match on his own.

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
I prefer Hashim opening just because he's not a role of the dice. We have plenty of proven match winners down the order.