• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South African cricket racism issue: Report implicates Smith, Boucher and de Villiers

Heboric

International Debutant
The vast majority of players (white and black) will always come from private schools or top 'Model C' schools. How many people that have played Test cricket went to Brakpan High compared to KES or Rondebosch? And this isn't an SA-only phenomenon, private schools supply most Aus, NZ, Eng players etc. Wouldn't be surprised if there is a similar phenomenon in India - the proportion of Muslims or Dalits that have played for India is far lower than their proportion in the general population.

It's magical thinking to believe that we're going to have hundreds of top cricketers coming out of townships or rural areas if we can somehow just tweak something. What we should aim for is to have anyone who wants to play the game be able to do so.

And does someone like Kagiso Rabada, who is more privileged than 99% of all South Africans, really need to be handled differently because of his race?
Vernon Philander didnt go to a posh school.

But I get your point though, once again the cronies in government dropped the ball in developing schools. I guess name changing and taking the knee is more important :whistling

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just cause the person hasn't played internationally doesn't make him inferior.
Or do you believe Rudolph straeuli was a better coach then Jake white & kitch christie? Diego Maradonna a better manager then Jose mourinho.
Justin Langer and Darren Lehman better coaches then John Buchannon.

The current odi and test champion coaches had 5 tests between them.

Chris Silverwood sure did show how much his international experience was worth compared to bayliss's zero.

Only SA coach to win a knockout game in an ICC tournament is Russel Domingo. Guess how many international games he played.
I never suggested anything of the sort and none of this has anything to do with what I said. Yes a less experienced player can be a better coach, obviously.

I think you misread me . . . "someone inferior" wasn't referring to them being inferior because they're less experienced. I'm saying that just because someone has a bull**** certificate doesn't make them automatically a better option

Last edited:

Marius

International Debutant
Vernon Philander didnt go to a posh school.

But I get your point though, once again the cronies in government dropped the ball in developing schools. I guess name changing and taking the knee is more important :whistling
In general bowlers are more likely to have gone to an average school, than batters. Bowling is more 'natural' than batting I think and doesn't need quite the same level of coaching.

Dale Steyn went to some random school in Phalaborwa I think and Morne Morkel some school in the Vaal triangle, I think.