• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Watching the build up for the 50 over final and Big Vern makes a brilliant point about how the batting troubles in the Test team must be wearing down the bowlers as well. Must be tough always having to make a play for the team.
Yeah. Said as much in the thread. You can’t keep trying to get your team out of trouble match after match. It will result in burn out of the bowlers. I think you can see the result in Rabada already.

WpGuy

U19 Debutant
Don't expect much to change after reading this dean interview...we are going to show faith in them and hopefully they improve is just what we wanted to hear...

Dean Elgar: South Africa learning in the 'most ruthless and brutal way'
I guess Dean and current coach for now can play out the championship 4 year cycle and then changes hopefully its a year left right? might as well go with then elgar,makram, petersen, bavuma, Rickleton,Kyle v, Mulder, Jansen, maharaj, Rabada and Nortjie and pray the batsmen come off, post a years time captain and coach should move on and then keep bowling plus keeper and alrounder, top 5 maybe de zorzi,richards, van tonder, petersen, rickleton kyle or rickleton keeper than bavuma or maybe daniel smith to come in than 7 is mulder the rest stay ngidi and sipamadla too rotate our bowlers good enough. Who to captain though Maharaj ?

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
I guess Dean and current coach for now can play out the championship 4 year cycle and then changes hopefully its a year left right? might as well go with then elgar,makram, petersen, bavuma, Rickleton,Kyle v, Mulder, Jansen, maharaj, Rabada and Nortjie and pray the batsmen come off, post a years time captain and coach should move on and then keep bowling plus keeper and alrounder, top 5 maybe de zorzi,richards, van tonder, petersen, rickleton kyle or rickleton keeper than bavuma or maybe daniel smith to come in than 7 is mulder the rest stay ngidi and sipamadla too rotate our bowlers good enough. Who to captain though Maharaj ?
You know they could just grow a pair like the English did to shunt Harmison, Hoggard (and Sidebottom?) mid series for what would become the best opening pair of pacemen for a decade.

Archer6K

U19 12th Man
South Africa still have a lot of decent players, here is an XI of players who haven't played Test cricket for South Africa yet
Joshua Richards
Tony De Zorzi
Raynard Van Tonder
David Bedingham
Ruan De Swardt
Jordan Hermann
Evan Jones
Sean Whitehead
Nandre Burger
Gerald Coetzee
Sisanda Magala

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
Would any of Tony De Zorzi, Marques Ackerman or Ruan De Swardt be considered options for selection?

Would like to know what matches the selectors are watching.
Ruan De Swardt has not played a FC game in 11 months , last FC game was in January earlier this year ... Shocking !

Rasimione

U19 Captain
Do SA just need to give up on the idea of a 5th bowler/ rely on a batsmen to throw down a few overs? Rabada Jansen Maharaj/harmer Nortje/Ngidi is a very good 4 man attack with depth and options for more spin friendly decks/injuries. Don't think the extra genuine bowler is gonna make the difference in taking 20 wickets.

You can't manufacturer allrounders. We've tried this and it hasn't worked. Pick your best 6 batsmen. A wk and 4 bowler's. If one of your batsmen is able to assist with bowling then so be it. As things stand we have a bowling allrounder Jansen who justifies his place in the side. The guy who was supposed To be the batting allrounder has not done anything with the bat but been decent with the ball. Looking at franchise cricket, Wiaan Mulder seems to be the only one worth a shout. But he needs to be batting at 6 and not 7.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Hearing about the SA team camp saying there is a big jump between FC and Test level is really starting to irritate… it is like no **** Sherlock. It’s why consistently picking journeymen doesn’t help the team in the now or the future. But to now double down on the poor decision… it is becoming a sunken cost to extreme quickly.

Dendarii

International Debutant
If there's a big gap between first-class and test cricket then things need to be put in place to bridge that gap. That seems blindingly obvious to me, but CSA appear to be oblivious to the blindingly obvious.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
If there's a big gap between first-class and test cricket then things need to be put in place to bridge that gap. That seems blindingly obvious to me, but CSA appear to be oblivious to the blindingly obvious.
We have known about the gap between FC cricket and Test for a long time. Part of the reason for the structural changes. Also why we kept wanting more SA ‘A’ games.

But that will take time to implement and have an effect. Simultaneously SA also still need make best choices for the SA team in the current circumstances.

But none of this is likely to happen.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Hearing about the SA team camp saying there is a big jump between FC and Test level is really starting to irritate… it is like no **** Sherlock. It’s why consistently picking journeymen doesn’t help the team in the now or the future. But to now double down on the poor decision… it is becoming a sunken cost to extreme quickly.
The same that's being said about South African cricket has been the same that's been said about English cricket for a few years.

Then suddenly players from county cricket have all stepped up this year. The attacks on county cricket might suddenly be different, we shall see.

Stefan9

International Debutant

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
More crying from elgar...pretty sure things weren't perfect for Smith, amla or faf either but never had this constant whinge...

I find Dean Elgar a bit delusional as a leader , mate we haven't strung a 250 run total in 8 test innings , we don't deserve more tests by the way we are playing especially away from home that's under your watch ,There is zero honesty in this team , ahead of the series the word from the camp was that they were satisfied with the preparation ..."We try to play each test like it's our last" ...Mate the last test match we lost by an innings on Boxing Day a marquee test match , the test before we lost inside two days.. Averaging 27 away from home yet has 81 test matches , damn lucky if you ask me to get that many tests in the first place .

TimAngas

State Vice-Captain
The same that's being said about South African cricket has been the same that's been said about English cricket for a few years.

Then suddenly players from county cricket have all stepped up this year. The attacks on county cricket might suddenly be different, we shall see.
Honestly, when I look at the current success of the England test XI, I account for it by guys like Brook, Pope, Duckett, who have spent a lot of time in the U19 and Lions teams finally coming good, rather than putting down their success to their county experience.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Honestly, when I look at the current success of the England test XI, I account for it by guys like Brook, Pope, Duckett, who have spent a lot of time in the U19 and Lions teams finally coming good, rather than putting down their success to their county experience.
Duckett was pretty poor first time around in test cricket. Don't think he did much Lions either as he was poor for a few seasons after that.

Recall down to his form season just gone he got into the side as they didn't fancy persisting with lees.

Pope had like the best FC record ever at one point had nothing to do with Lions. They rushed him in to plug a gap at 4 and he was found wanting. Came back after smashing it again in county cricket.

Brook was averaging over 100 in county cricket when he got called up to the test squad. He had a bit of a rise from nowhere partially to do with his form in the blast and hundred and he carried it into the following county season.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Heads need to roll after this tour, but I don't see that happening if the past is any indication. Instead the more likely outcome is that there'll be press conferences where they'll offer up lame statements like "We're a work in progress" and then carry on doing the same thing as though it was actually working. :mad::wallbash: