• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

Dendarii

International Debutant

This tells me everything I want to know... Elgar has 100 % taken over the team and what he says goes, regardless of anything else.
That's very disappointing if it's the case. Obviously a captain needs to have some input into these matters, but not to the extent that the coach effectively gets sidelined.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Linde hadn't done a great deal with the bat in internationals, but he was definitely worth persisting with. Instead they pretty much tossed him aside to pick Maharaj. If the two of them had both been playing and competing for a spot then that would have been one thing, although still hard to justify Maharaj over Linde, but Maharaj basically came into the side out of nowhere.

Very occasionally the selectors' decisions make sense. This wasn't one those times.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Maharaj does satisfy a quota requirement that Linde doesn’t right?
Maharaj is a good LOI cricketer in his own right tbf, very good at keeping a end quiet in the middle overs. Big asset to have given the quality of SA'S other 4 bowlers. I still think the way to solve SA's #7 issue is to slot Mulder somewhere in the top 4, push everyone down a spot and drop Rabada from the T20 team, but unsure how that would look in execution.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator

WpGuy

U19 Debutant
Linde hadn't done a great deal with the bat in internationals, but he was definitely worth persisting with. Instead they pretty much tossed him aside to pick Maharaj. If the two of them had both been playing and competing for a spot then that would have been one thing, although still hard to justify Maharaj over Linde, but Maharaj basically came into the side out of nowhere.

Very occasionally the selectors' decisions make sense. This wasn't one those times.
Don't understand how the lions spinner is ahead of Linde also in both formats.

WpGuy

U19 Debutant
Maharaj is a good LOI cricketer in his own right tbf, very good at keeping a end quiet in the middle overs. Big asset to have given the quality of SA'S other 4 bowlers. I still think the way to solve SA's #7 issue is to slot Mulder somewhere in the top 4, push everyone down a spot and drop Rabada from the T20 team, but unsure how that would look in execution.
Why can't Mulder Bat 5 in all formats,

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I was an advocate for Maharaj for a long time. Think he should have been playing earlier for the LO side. Shams I had been the recent disappointment. Linde should have been backup, unfortunately he was same style as Maharaj.

Secondary, but I think Maharaj should be made captain across all formats.

Bahseph

State Captain
I'm advocating Linde being in the mix at 7. If he bowled some sort of seam up he would be there imo. Never going to question Maharaj being in any team tbh,he is a quality bowler and handy with the bat.

Socerer 01

International Vice-Captain
not questioning Maharaj’s talent on his own but it explains why he was taken ahead of Linde later on despite Linde being the better all rounder. i see Maharaj as the better bowler but Linde is a better batsman

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Why can't Mulder Bat 5 in all formats,
Bolded is probably the better question. I like Mulder but he debuted in 2017 and highest score is still 36. He should have played a least one decent knock internationally in the 30+ times he has had the opportunity to bat.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Bolded is probably the better question. I like Mulder but he debuted in 2017 and highest score is still 36. He should have played a least one decent knock internationally in the 30+ times he has had the opportunity to bat.
All this tells me is that you don’t actually seem to watch SA cricket.

Dendarii

International Debutant
I was an advocate for Maharaj for a long time. Think he should have been playing earlier for the LO side. Shams I had been the recent disappointment. Linde should have been backup, unfortunately he was same style as Maharaj.

Secondary, but I think Maharaj should be made captain across all formats.
The issue I have with Maharaj's selection is less about his ability but more about the process. Linde had been a regular in the T20 side and looked like a shoe-in for last year's T20 World Cup. Instead, Maharaj was picked without having played any T20s and Linde has played since.

WpGuy

U19 Debutant
The issue I have with Maharaj's selection is less about his ability but more about the process. Linde had been a regular in the T20 side and looked like a shoe-in for last year's T20 World Cup. Instead, Maharaj was picked without having played any T20s and Linde has played since.
How is bjorn fortuin seemingly above him also now in white ball cricket, linde at worst should be 3rd choice in all formats.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Yes, but this has been the underlying problem for years now. There is obviously no clear talent identification and then follow-up process looking after of players, from either sporting or personal perspective.

Players are largely being picked for all the wrong reasons, at the wrong times. And then dumped unceremoniously or held onto long past their sell by dates. Its not good for any of the players and the confidence in the overall system.

Dendarii

International Debutant
How is bjorn fortuin seemingly above him also now in white ball cricket, linde at worst should be 3rd choice in all formats.
I don't know what Fortuin's recent domestic form has been like, but he has performed in the international matches he's played. I'd still take Linde over him, but he's not a completely ridiculous selection.

WpGuy

U19 Debutant
I don't know what Fortuin's recent domestic form has been like, but he has performed in the international matches he's played. I'd still take Linde over him, but he's not a completely ridiculous selection.
Yeah bat he has offered zero with the bat.