• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

Rasimione

U19 Captain
I
The general feeling amongst SA fans here is Markram needs to be at 4. He is a fine enough opener but he has hard hands,so he is better off in the middle.

StephenZA was unconvinced about Malan if I remember correctly. And I'm still not sure where he fits in the pecking order with van Tonder,Hamza or Bedingham.
I'm one of those people. Get him in the middle order and see him flourish.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Pieter Malan' 2 ducks out of 4 innings vs India A has probably not helped him. He now has 7 ducks in 12 innings at A level.
He doesn't have a very good record in franchise cricket either. I'm pretty surprised he seems to be in the mix at all.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He doesn't have a very good record in franchise cricket either. I'm pretty surprised he seems to be in the mix at all.
TBF, a lot of that appears to be from his days as a raw youngster. His average for Cape Cobras is 47.45 (which was his second franchise)

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
SA selectors where looking for experienced in-form players to try stop the rot a few seasons back. They have moved on from most of them. P. Malan not really in the mix anymore.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Mulder needs to start making runs though a number 7 should be averaging 35+
Ehh when you have a #6 keeper bat who's as good as quinny and guys like maharaj in the lower order who are genuine bowling-allrounders I think your #7 can get away with averaging 30. How many all-rounders in the history of the game batting 6 have averaged 35+ while also being anything more then a brett lee tier bowler? Not to mention number 7.

WpGuy

U19 Debutant
Ehh when you have a #6 keeper bat who's as good as quinny and guys like maharaj in the lower order who are genuine bowling-allrounders I think your #7 can get away with averaging 30. How many all-rounders in the history of the game batting 6 have averaged 35+ while also being anything more then a brett lee tier bowler? Not to mention number 7.
Problem is petersen at 3 hasnt come off yet and bavuma at 5 iffy, maharaj and rabada hit and miss 8 and 9 so 7 need runs, only reliable players seem to be elgar,makram,rvd and quinny, cant have only 4 batsmen contributing.

cricketsavant

U19 12th Man
Problem is petersen at 3 hasnt come off yet and bavuma at 5 iffy, maharaj and rabada hit and miss 8 and 9 so 7 need runs, only reliable players seem to be elgar,makram,rvd and quinny, cant have only 4 batsmen contributing.
Of the active SA players, Temba is the 2nd highest run getter outside of Elgar, so he isn't the problem. It's all these other guys that have been picked who have not played well.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Assuming South Africa come to their senses and don't continue to pick Jansen to bat 7 then what happens when Nortje is fit? Nortje's been good so far, but it's tough to ignore Jansen's performance. He's also the better batsman, and while I'm not a big fan of the argument that a left armer should be picked in order to add variety, here at least it would be a valid one.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Assuming South Africa come to their senses and don't continue to pick Jansen to bat 7 then what happens when Nortje is fit? Nortje's been good so far, but it's tough to ignore Jansen's performance. He's also the better batsman, and while I'm not a big fan of the argument that a left armer should be picked in order to add variety, here at least it would be a valid one.
I mean jansen, rabada and ngidi were all great this series, hard call to make with oliver available and nortje waiting on the sidelines.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Effectively I think you end up with a position of Rabada, Nortje, Ngidi and Jansen trying to fit into 3 bowling spots. I can see them foolishly dropping Maharaj again if they want to play the extra batsmen/allrounder. My guess right now is that they going to leave Mulder out.

Need to select another young batsmen. De Zorzi, van Tonder and Breetzke seem mostly likely to get selected. Can only hope.

Have we selected the LO squad yet?

Dendarii

International Debutant
Effectively I think you end up with a position of Rabada, Nortje, Ngidi and Jansen trying to fit into 3 bowling spots. I can see them foolishly dropping Maharaj again if they want to play the extra batsmen/allrounder. My guess right now is that they going to leave Mulder out.
I don't think they will drop Maharaj given that they played him in all three matches. If they do want to go with the four seamers who aren't Mulder then I wouldn't be completely against them picking Linde or maybe Muthusamy as the spinner. I don't think that's the right move as I'm with you that Mulder should be there, but it's better than having Jansen at 7.

Need to select another young batsmen. De Zorzi, van Tonder and Breetzke seem mostly likely to get selected. Can only hope.
I'm very happy to see De Zorzi doing well as he would obviously help to keep the politicians happy. I don't think he's quite there yet though, and if he does get picked there may be something of an outcry from fans because he's not a Malan.

Have we selected the LO squad yet?
We have. I think it was announced during the second test, but I can't remember who was in it.