• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

Bahseph

State Captain
Parnell will not play tests?!! Dupavillion should be ahead of Olivier and I’m a big fan of Sipamla.
Yeah I don't think we will see Parnell in the whites. I think after Ngidi it's Sipamla,then Stuurman and then Dupavillion. As we have noted I don't think Ngidi is fit enough for Tests. But Mulder being in the team helps to share the load.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Yeah I don't think we will see Parnell in the whites.
I'm hoping not, but you never know.

I think after Ngidi it's Sipamla,then Stuurman and then Dupavillion.
Yeah, Sipamla certainly didn't disgrace himself in the tests he played and he's been the only seamer to pick up wickets against India A on what looks like very flat pitch, so I think that's a fair call. Stuurman hasn't done himself too many favours in that match, but right now the seamer pecking order is anybody's guess beyond Rabada, Nortje, and Ngidi.

Bahseph

State Captain
Hmmm Temba is VC. Kind of makes the XI easy to pick now.

1. Elgar (Cpt)
2. Markram
3. Petersen
4. Rassie
5. Bavuma
6. QDK (wkt)
7. Mulder
8. Maharaj
9. Rabada
10. Nortje
11. Ngidi/Olivier.

Definitely pegging India as favourites for this series.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
That batting looks very brittle. Petersen and Rassie will have to play out of their skin for us to win this one.
Its a difficult one. Markram and QDK are quality game changing players. Petersen and Mulder play to their potential then could be a breakout series for them. Rassie and Elgar are those solid players you hope hold everything together. Bavuma you don't expect much but has put in solid performances at times, just nothing big. Biggest issue with SA batting is the number of unknowns, lots of potential but to many unknowns.

Bahseph

State Captain
How many lefties there?

And why not pick one of the Malans?
Lefties are QDK and Elgar. You could throw Rabada in there if you want.

P.Malan was given a run as an opener but I think they have settled on Markram in that role for now. J.Malan hasn't had a look in but has been batting at 4 domestically.

Its a difficult one. Markram and QDK are quality game changing players. Petersen and Mulder play to their potential then could be a breakout series for them. Rassie and Elgar are those solid players you hope hold everything together. Bavuma you don't expect much but has put in solid performances at times, just nothing big. Biggest issue with SA batting is the number of unknowns, lots of potential but to many unknowns.
I feel the bowling will keep us in the game, but we desperately need Mulder and Petersen to show their worth. One thing is for sure is that there are fighters in this side,so I don't expect India to bully them all the way through.

Bahseph

State Captain
Cheers, guys. I rate both Malans, esp. J. Think he should be opening and Markram batting 4 across formats.
The general feeling amongst SA fans here is Markram needs to be at 4. He is a fine enough opener but he has hard hands,so he is better off in the middle.

StephenZA was unconvinced about Malan if I remember correctly. And I'm still not sure where he fits in the pecking order with van Tonder,Hamza or Bedingham.

Dendarii

International Debutant
StephenZA was unconvinced about Malan if I remember correctly. And I'm still not sure where he fits in the pecking order with van Tonder,Hamza or Bedingham.
They also seem to be looking at De Zorzi as he's played in the middle order against India A with returns of a century and a 50.

On openers, Breetzke's been in the runs, so might start coming into the mix if he carries on with that.

Bahseph

State Captain
They also seem to be looking at De Zorzi as he's played in the middle order against India A with returns of a century and a 50.

On openers, Breetzke's been in the runs, so might start coming into the mix if he carries on with that.
Looking at the current scorecard and Muthusamy has been doing more bowling than Subrayen. Muthusamy obviously very similar to Linde.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I haven't seen enough of him to judge. Care to elaborate why you feel this way about him?
I have not seen him recently, but a very Gibbs type player. Lots of natural attacking instinct. I`m not entirely sure if he has calmed down enough to be a good test opener, but still feel it would be better for him and SA to be in the middle order in Test cricket.

Bahseph

State Captain
It does translate to what we saw from him at Test level. Limited but a fighter. I don't think that's what we need right now.