• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I think he is a fast learner so he may have one or two struggles initially if we pick him possibly a year early but he will come through them. Seems a strong character like Biff was. But in style he has more aesthetics (cover-drive & particularly the mid-wicket drive) but yet a brutality as well in the cut and pull.

The Cape Times today

View attachment 23258
I think that he should be picked at least in the squad for SA. He is much like QDK and Rabada had their struggles but obviously belongs at that level.... and long term their is an obvious position available to open. I wonder how much de Villers may influence that both at Titans and possibly at SA level. Boucher may also say something. Look at Aus picking Renshaw recently. Tough on Cook but competitive sport is like that....

Marius

International Debutant
I think that he should be picked at least in the squad for SA. He is much like QDK and Rabada had their struggles but obviously belongs at that level.... and long term their is an obvious position available to open. I wonder how much de Villers may influence that both at Titans and possibly at SA level. Boucher may also say something. Look at Aus picking Renshaw recently. Tough on Cook but competitive sport is like that....
He should definitely be in the squad to go to the UK but I think another season of franchise and SA A cricket would do him good.

But if Cook doesn't come right in England we must look at him for next season.

Heboric

International Debutant
I cant believe that Dog and Pony show called the IPL starts next week Wednesday.

I was wondering if the likes of Rabada go straight to India from New Zealand.

I hope he survives it unscathed.

Last edited:

CapeTown Guy

School Boy/Girl Captain
If we are genuinely looking for an alternative opener for England, then Kuhn is the logical choice.

I reckon trying Markram against Bangladesh might not be a bad idea. If De Bruyn comes, it has to be in the middle order.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
While I appreciate how well Kuhn has done recently; I would rather stick with Cook (who did it for longer) than bring Kuhn in now for another stop-gap. It should be either Markram or no change. Apologies to Kuhn....

SeamUp

International Coach
County Cricket deals :

Stephen Cook - Durham
Dean Elgar - Glamorgan
Wayne Parnell - Kent
Vernon Philander - Sussex
Imran Tahir - Derbyshire

IPL

Hashim Amla, Faf Du Plessis, AB de Villiers, Dave Miller, Chris Morris, Kagiso Rabada, Tabraiz Shamsi, Imran Tahir

Pulled out : JP Duminy & Quinton de Kock

With Parnell signing for Kent. Not sure why CSA pulled the plug on Olivier getting valuable County experience.

Kent were understood to be close to acquiring South Africa pace bowler Duanne Olivier as an overseas player for the first three months of the season. However, just as the club were preparing to announce his signing, Cricket South Africa intervened at the 11th hour to block the move, on the ground of managing Olivier's workload ahead of the Champions Trophy. Further misfortune arose when two other potential signings on their shortlist went down with injuries.
Interview with Theunis de Bruyn : Theunis de Bruyn, spending his 'short time' on Earth, just right | Cricbuzz.com

Marius

International Debutant
So, what's the Test touring party for the UK going to look like? I think the team is fairly settled, so we'll probably see something like this:

Faf
Cook
Elgar
Hash
Duminy
Bavuma
De Bruyn
Markram
QDK
Klaasen
Rabada
Philander
Morkel
Olivier
Parnell/Morris
Maharaj
Piedt

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
So, what's the Test touring party for the UK going to look like? I think the team is fairly settled, so we'll probably see something like this:

Faf
Cook
Elgar
Hash
Duminy
Bavuma
De Bruyn
Markram
QDK
Klaasen
Rabada
Philander
Morkel
Olivier
Parnell/Morris
Maharaj
Piedt
I think that touring party is probably to large will not take both Morkel and Olivier; And will probably stick with Parnell over Morris for now. I don`t think that they will bring both Markram and Cook either, Cook will either get the tour or not probably based on his county form and Markram`s SA`A` a form in England. But we shall see...

Marius

International Debutant
I think that touring party is probably to large will not take both Morkel and Olivier; And will probably stick with Parnell over Morris for now. I don`t think that they will bring both Markram and Cook either, Cook will either get the tour or not probably based on his county form and Markram`s SA`A` a form in England. But we shall see...
Will be really unlucky for Cook to be left out, not sure I see that happening.

And like I said before, unless Markram is playing for a really good club side in the UK somewhere, I think it'll do him the world of good to be in the touring party, and learning from the other guys.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Please Dale play some county cricket if you are aiming for the England tour. First test is 6th July. No idea if he has started bowling but I seriously hope that he plays some 4 day cricket before the tests

Marius

International Debutant
How Ray Jennings opened the door for Aiden Markram
11 April 2017 - 06:20 AM Telford Vice
Opening option: Aiden Markram could force his way into the Proteas team to tour England in midyear. Picture: BACKPAGEPIX

Who do South African cricket fans have to thank for the happy fact that Aiden Markram has rocketed up the list of viable opening options?

Ray Jennings‚ who told the young batsman before the 2014 under-19 World Cup: "Your only outside chance of making the side is to open the batting."

At least‚ that is how Markram remembers his conversation with his then coach.

Markram batted at the top of the order at primary school‚ but at high school he was more often deployed at No3 or 4.

Clearly Jennings knew what he was on about — which did not stop Cricket SA from dumping him as under-19 coach less than eight weeks after he returned with the only World Cup trophy SA have won.

Markram‚ who captained SA‚ was their highest runscorer‚ the third-highest overall and the only South African in the top 10.

"It worked out well‚" he said with the kind of understatement that is going to make reporters groan after he makes his debut at senior international level.

That could happen in the coming months on SA’s tour of England should Markram be preferred to Stephen Cook‚ who was dropped during the recent Test series in New Zealand.

Unusually in the modern game‚ Markram bats up front in all three formats for the Titans.

That must mean he relishes a role others tend to approach like soldiers consigned to a month in a muddy trench.

Did he enjoy opening the batting? "Yes‚ of course‚" he said‚ seemingly surprised at the question. "It’s a great challenge and being a young guy in franchise cricket you have to be on top of your game to deal with that kind of pressure."

Besides‚ he said‚ it was better than sitting around padded up and waiting.

"I tell you what‚ that’s quite a difficult thing to do."

Talking about pressure‚ another of Markram’s selling points is that‚ at 22‚ he already knows what it feels like to be in the pressure cooker of must-win games — and to win them.

"The under-19 World Cup taught us a hell of a lot‚" he said.

"It helps you mature quickly and to understand your game and to take responsibility‚ especially being captain."

Markram is‚ of course‚ still making his way in life and in the game‚ and to that end he will attend a spin camp in India in the first week of May and is then due to return to Walkden in the Bolton league in England.

In 2016 Markram was second in the league averages among players who had had at least 10 innings‚ and second among the runscorers.

Easily as valuable as the on-field experience he gained was what he learnt on the other side of the boundary.

"You learn how to live on your own‚" he said. "There’s no family to help you and you find out how to make things work and grow as a whole person."

Should his phone ring with a call from a certain Linda Zondi‚ SA’s selection convener‚ that part of his education will be put on hold.

TMG Digital
https://www.businesslive.co.za/bd/s...y-jennings-opened-the-door-for-aiden-markram/

Nice article on Markram by Telford Vice. When he doesn't mix his cricket writing with his politics, he's one of the better guys writing on cricket in SA.

SeamUp

International Coach
Very nice article indeed.

Second time I've heard of the CSA spin camp today but haven't seen any details released. Think this will be the 3rd or 4th one now.

Cobras players going are Jason Smith, Aviwe Mgijima, Dane Piedt, George Linde and Kyle Simmonds.

Now we know Markram is another.