• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

SeamUp

International Coach
First time I believe they may actually play those Indian and Eng Tests.... a lot may do to how that WC pans out, if they do well (ideally win) then the players may feel on a high and still positive. If we lose badly, they may just throw in the towel at that stage... but that could also spur them on, wanting to end on a high in India and Eng. If politics gets in the way of either I do think that at ABdV will end his career after WC.
Still so much cricket to be played I guess. But Amla will be 36 turning 37 with AB/Faf 35 turning 36 - Oh mannn it would be the perfect way to end things.

SeamUp

International Coach
Coetzee impressed me. He swings the ball and I sure like that. Fraser Jones seems to only rely on pace. Thoughts?
Coetzee seems to have natural variation and swing at a young age, which is always a good place to start...
Amazing thing about Coetzee is he was the youngest and still available for the next u19 WC in SA and made the WCXI for this tournament.

I think all the bowlers have a bit to work on but I agree with the sentiment that he had the most natural talent. Pace, moving the ball both ways. He probably needs to work on stamina and the odd ball down leg side.

Ntini and Jones can play SA u19 this year too but I do believe they both have something to work with. I thought Jones and Ntini extracted good bounce but tended to bowl to short or both sides of the wicket.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I honestly don't know how SA keep producing bowlers of such great quality, I know we had a period of good allrounders, with Kallis being special. But even now SA have gone through a period where we have suffered for lack of allrounders.

But to have Donald, Pollock, Steyn and now Rabada all of whom could potential end up in ATG SA XI (impressive in itself), but would at least compete for places in a ATG world XI.... not even Australia can say they've a continuity of talent like that in the fast bowling department. Maybe WI at their prime?

Dendarii

International Debutant
But to have Donald, Pollock, Steyn and now Rabada all of whom could potential end up in ATG SA XI (impressive in itself), but would at least compete for places in a ATG world XI.... not even Australia can say they've a continuity of talent like that in the fast bowling department. Maybe WI at their prime?
Not to mention that they've been backed up some guys who were pretty good in their own right - Philander (who can't be too far off from being included with the names you mentioned), Ntini, Morkel, very briefly Abbott, and now it looks like Ngidi, to name just a few. That is ridiculous in terms of fast bowling quality.

And while the West Indies at their peak may have had the best group of fast bowlers to play together, South Africa has managed to continue producing great bowlers for a much longer period. Not just the 25 years since readmission starting with Donald, but going back a bit imagine what the likes of Vince van der Bijl or Garth le Roux would have achieved if they'd been able to play tests.

SeamUp

International Coach
Yup, pretty darn lucky. Bowlers win you games, batsmen set them up.

I like that saying but having an inconsistent batting line-up gets me on my nerves too much too ! :D

PS talking about fast bowlers. Supposedly Otis Gibson has told Chris Morris he needs to hit the gym lol

Dendarii

International Debutant
Yup, pretty darn lucky. Bowlers win you games, batsmen set them up.
Even more so when you have bowlers scoring runs, as we've seen so often down the years for South Africa (even if you don't count that bowler who scored 13,000 runs :laugh:).

Marius

International Debutant
Thought this was the best place to post this....

https://www.sport24.co.za/Cricket/Proteas/proteas-test-gates-durban-pe-headache-worsens-20180315

Not to sure if Benoni and Paarl will be great as international Test venues.
Benoni gets the crowds for the ODIs but I'm not sure how healthy a Test crowd will be.

It'll be great if they do play a Test there - I played a couple of games there when PAM Brink was still Easterns's main ground so I would be able to say I've played on a Test ground...

SeamUp

International Coach
Not on the same wavelength as Rob I am afraid.

Let's be honest here - we also got to think of quality of pitch and facilities. Bloem has generally had a lovely pitch and a wonderful big ground but support there is minimal. No way does Potch, Paarl, Benoni, East London, Kimberley even come close to competing there.

And on support - they definitely wouldn't match St George's and Kingsmead even.

It's time they look into why there is a lack of support at those two historic venues and do more than what they currently doing.

Maybe you can confirm Marius as you were there for the test but I heard the Sahara signs (Gupta's) are still all around Kingsmeand. I mean that is a joke in itself. How were the facilities there ? When last did they even do a refurbishment last there ?

Last edited:

Marius

International Debutant

Let's be honest here - we also got to think of quality of pitch and facilities. Bloem has generally had a lovely pitch and a wonderful big ground but support there is minimal. No way does Potch, Paarl, Benoni, East London, Kimberley even come close to competing there.

It's time they look into why there is a lack of support at those two historic venues and do more than what they currently doing.

Maybe you can confirm Marius as you were there for the test but I heard the Sahara signs (Gupta's) are still all around Kingsmeand. I mean that is a joke in itself. How were the facilities there ? When last did they even do a refurbishment last there ?
I can't remember if there were Sahara signs - I wasn't looking for them, but there were definitely ANN 7 signs. I thought it was a pretty good stadium, on par with anything that Centurion, Wanderers, or Newlands can offer.

The stands are looking a bit tired, especially the northern grandstand but overall I thought it was a decent stadium - I'd definitely go watch cricket there again.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member

Think that is a complicated issue.... cricket is not as popular as it used to be, and as many of us has already spoken about going to the ground rather than staying at home? and we as close to rabid fans as you get! I also think considering the soci-economic levels in SA the pricing of food etc at the ground is silly, better sell more at a lower cost. R100 (R60 for scholars etc) a ticket is not bad for people who earn decent money; but really for a test match R20, with scholars for free, this means I would consider popping in on an week afternoon for final session. I know that means the grounds do not make money but still..... I think it is really a combination of the nature of cricket (tests in particular), combined with a lack of money. Durban I'm unsure of the reason, but pretty confident it is the lethargy (also lack of advertising locally!) in PE and just money, particularly if you are looking from a family perspective.

Marius

International Debutant
Think that is a complicated issue.... cricket is not as popular as it used to be, and as many of us has already spoken about going to the ground rather than staying at home? and we as close to rabid fans as you get! I also think considering the soci-economic levels in SA the pricing of food etc at the ground is silly, better sell more at a lower cost. R100 (R60 for scholars etc) a ticket is not bad for people who earn decent money; but really for a test match R20, with scholars for free, this means I would consider popping in on an week afternoon for final session. I know that means the grounds do not make money but still..... I think it is really a combination of the nature of cricket (tests in particular), combined with a lack of money. Durban I'm unsure of the reason, but pretty confident it is the lethargy (also lack of advertising locally!) in PE and just money, particularly if you are looking from a family perspective.
Our tickets for Kingsmead were - I think - R140. You're a family of four you're already R600 downs before you've even bought lunch or drinks or whatever.

It was OK for me and the guys I went with - footloose and fancy free - so we could fork out for beers and whatever (and oh did we spend on beers) but for a family it gets pricey.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Our tickets for Kingsmead were - I think - R140. You're a family of four you're already R600 downs before you've even bought lunch or drinks or whatever.

It was OK for me and the guys I went with - footloose and fancy free - so we could fork out for beers and whatever (and oh did we spend on beers) but for a family it gets pricey.
I snuck beer in... no way was I paying R20 a pint for the piss that is Castle... Even then I brought all my own food etc. 6 hours of the day. And that is 1 day of a 5 day test... costs in SA have to be seriously looked at.

Marius

International Debutant
I snuck beer in... no way was I paying R20 a pint for the piss that is Castle... Even then I brought all my own food etc. 6 hours of the day. And that is 1 day of a 5 day test... costs in SA have to be seriously looked at.
It's closer to R30 a dop...

SeamUp

International Coach
Yeah for so long the food stalls at Newlands were as rank as you get. You had to get Wimpy and I am not a Wimpy Burger fan (their breakfasts are better). So eventually there was a little kiosk selling footlongs for R 30 and that was a few years ago. Damn nice mind ! The beer well, I used to just stomach the prices.

When I was a bit younger used to get some ice creams but these days Magnums and Cornetto's are absolutely a rip-off.

SeamUp

International Coach
Let's face it. We don''t like to admit lethargy but it is a massive issue.

Take areas surrounding PE like van Staden's and Grahamstown or Pietermaritzburg for Durban - It might be a nice day out but then you think of petrol costs (public transport is no where near good enough for this sort of travel compared to potentially someone in England to go watch cricket who isn't in the city main of the cricket ground).

Then also on weekends a lot of our keen cricket fanatics are playing cricket at school level (parents watching) or playing club cricket.

I don't know but we need to try something new but I don't think changing venues to smaller grounds with facilities not as good is going to be better.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
I can't remember if there were Sahara signs - I wasn't looking for them, but there were definitely ANN 7 signs. I thought it was a pretty good stadium, on par with anything that Centurion, Wanderers, or Newlands can offer.

The stands are looking a bit tired, especially the northern grandstand but overall I thought it was a decent stadium - I'd definitely go watch cricket there again.
Just found this on Sport24

Some things stay the same in Durban: like a bit more Gupta-linked branding than you might wish to see (Sahara still splashed gaudily on at least one stand’s roof, ANN7 sightscreen advertising),
Quite a few people on twitter messaging DolphinsCricket saying how pathetic the above is and they won't be going back until it is removed. Also some other untasteful tweets if you search Sahara and Kingsmead.

Now they haven't been the sponsors of Newlands and Kingsmead for how many years now ? The concern also is they got involved with cricket.

GRAB

First Class Debutant
Last time I went to St. Georges was about R60 I think? 2015. Newlands was a LOT more for this year's test vs. India, and yet has better crowds. I first went to cricket with my father in the days of the Castle Cup, and even those matches were attended reasonably. Perhaps better advertising might encourage casual fans, and a relaxation of Draconian rules about what you're allowed to bring in. Given many who bring kids treat it as a family picnic, I don't think they realise how negative they make the experience with confiscations etc.